PDA

View Full Version : Lake Louise Named Most Scenic Ski Resort in World

moahunter
30-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Like the name of its chairlift, Lake Louise Ski Resort is literally on top of the world after the site was named the most scenic of its kind across the globe.

USA Today put the Alberta ski hill at the peak of the Top 10 list, saying it was “unsurpassed with postcard perfect beauty.”

Lake Louise Ski Resort was voted Best Ski resort in Canada and third best in the world at the first World Ski Awards in November of 2013, said Markham.

It was also voted Most Favourite Ski Resort in North America by skiresorts-test.com, he said.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/01/29/usa-today-names-albertas-lake-louise-ski-resort-the-most-scenic-in-the-world

Good stuff to encourage friends and family from far afield to visit...

IanO
30-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Tis beautiful, but I would argue that Kicking Horse is up there.

Marcel Petrin
30-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Tis beautiful, but I would argue that Kicking Horse is up there.

Panorama from the very top has some spectacular 360 degree views as well, hence the run called View of 1000 Peaks, which actually doesn't seem all that exaggerated. Revelstoke has got some nice views of the Columbia river too, when it's actually sunny. But overall I'd agree that Louise looking West towards the lake and chateua is pretty gorgeous. Too bad the skiing on the front side is generally awful. Ski resorts should never face SW!

DTrobotnik
30-01-2014, 10:14 AM
"USA Today put the Alberta ski hill at the peak of the Top 10 list"

Enough with the small mind writing! Journalism needs better standards. It's not a ski hill it's a bloody mountain... paradise slope... anything....not a ski hill you monkey

Titanium48
30-01-2014, 11:15 AM
If only Louise had more snow to go with that view.

Kickinghorse and Revelstoke look very pretty during temperature inversions when you can see the mountaintops but the towns are hidden below the cloud deck.

McBoo
30-01-2014, 11:45 AM
I still get "gobsmacked" by the Athabasca valley. Marmot, above the treeline is still my fave.

Lest I be accused of parochialism, Big Mountain is my second fave. Maybe that has something to do with Whitefish though - my vote for nicest, most unassuming resort town anywhere, ever.

Marcel Petrin
30-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Lest I be accused of parochialism, Big Mountain is my second fave. Maybe that has something to do with Whitefish though - my vote for nicest, most unassuming resort town anywhere, ever.

Also best free pours. When ordering hiballs in Whitefish, never ask for a double.

expat
30-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Like the name of its chairlift, Lake Louise Ski Resort is literally on top of the world after the site was named the most scenic of its kind across the globe.

USA Today put the Alberta ski hill at the peak of the Top 10 list, saying it was “unsurpassed with postcard perfect beauty.”

Lake Louise Ski Resort was voted Best Ski resort in Canada and third best in the world at the first World Ski Awards in November of 2013, said Markham.

It was also voted Most Favourite Ski Resort in North America by skiresorts-test.com, he said.http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/01/29/usa-today-names-albertas-lake-louise-ski-resort-the-most-scenic-in-the-world

Good stuff to encourage friends and family from far afield to visit...

As others have pointed out, there may well be more interesting ski hills out there; but for international tourists/casual skiers the convenience of the whole Calgary/Banff/Lake Louise package probably takes some beating.

This is pretty much without exception the first experience of Canada most people I know (from UK/Europe) opted for.

240GLT
30-01-2014, 03:03 PM
LL has great views and some nice terrain, but I wouldn't call it the best skiing. Sloppy down low and frozen at the top is how I've found it much of the time

I prefer the Central interior of BC hills, the likes of Silver Star, Red and Sun Peaks which have consistently decent conditions

expat
30-01-2014, 03:15 PM
LL has great views and some nice terrain, but I wouldn't call it the best skiing. Sloppy down low and frozen at the top is how I've found it much of the time

I prefer the Central interior of BC hills, the likes of Silver Star, Red and Sun Peaks which have consistently decent conditions

The article didn't say "best skiing", it said "best ski resort", big difference.

Paul Turnbull
30-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Enough with the small mind writing! Journalism needs better standards. It's not a ski hill it's a bloody mountain... paradise slope... anything....not a ski hill you monkey

It's fairly normal to refer to ski areas as 'hills'. I've been skiing at Marmot for my entire life and we always say we're headed out to the hill.

expat
30-01-2014, 03:37 PM

It's fairly normal to refer to ski areas as 'hills'. I've been skiing at Marmot for my entire life and we always say we're headed out to the hill.

I get the same reaction if I dare refer to Edmonton as a "town". Folks here don't seem to do self deprecation very well. ;)

Paul Turnbull
30-01-2014, 03:45 PM

I get the same reaction if I dare refer to Edmonton as a "town". Folks here don't seem to do self deprecation very well. ;)

It's all about the intent of the speaker. ;)

240GLT
31-01-2014, 12:24 PM

The article didn't say "best skiing", it said "best ski resort", big difference.

Hmm. I go to ski resorts, primarily to go skiing.

edmonton daily photo
31-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I still get "gobsmacked" by the Athabasca valley. Marmot, above the treeline is still my fave.

I was just going to say.... Marmot's views are AMAZING.

The one think it doesn't have is a eagle eye view of Lac Louise and the hotel. which is what I feel is the only thing that makes lake Louise special.

Paul Turnbull
31-01-2014, 03:40 PM

I was just going to say.... Marmot's views are AMAZING.

Yup

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1536674_10152199936962812_817992685_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1554495_10152197345462812_2076049234_n.jpg

edmonton daily photo
31-01-2014, 05:16 PM
my own photos of jasper

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfWPf8PCQAAZSzP.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfWTo3yCQAEHKr_.jpg:large

McBoo
03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
^ and ^^

Thanks guys, great shots. Reminds me, may still be winter, but already time for sunscreen at Marmot.