PDA

View Full Version : Community cops now on patrol

DebraW
16-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Community cops now on patrol

edmontonjournal.com
Published: Friday, June 15, 2007

Twelve new community service officers are now patrolling Whyte Avenue and the downtown core as part of a project to increase the policing presence around the city.

The 12 officers are in charge of maintaining a safe and positive atmosphere. They are on patrol seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In their black, straight-brimmed hats, they look different from Edmonton Police Service officers , but they have been trained with pepper spray and police batons, and received the same officer safety and conflict resolution training.

The officers have the authority to enforce city bylaws and the provincial liquor and traffic acts, but not the Criminal Code.

The group officially took up their duties Monday, but were presented with their accreditation today in a ceremony at police headquarters.

"I consider this moment a great moment for the city of Edmonton," said Chief Mike Boyd. "All of our community has said loud and clear the importance they see and place on high visibility policing."

The program started three years ago with six officers patrolling Sir Winston Churchill Square.

Sgt. Steve Young, who supervises the program and trained each of the recruits, said their main duties will be to prevent minor disturbances involving drinking, fighting and skateboarding and to monitor panhandlers.

The program runs throughout the summer.

Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--

Doug
16-06-2007, 11:58 AM
This is a great program. I have been very impressed with their presence in and around Churchill Square for the last couple of years. They look professional and do a good job in interacting with the public.

This is a program that needs to be expanded east of 97 Street into the area around the Conference Centre and into Louise McKinney Park, 12 is not enough.

Sonic Death Monkey
17-06-2007, 06:10 PM
This is a program that needs to be expanded east of 97 Street into the area around the Conference Centre and into Louise McKinney Park, 12 is not enough.
Agreed. I'd like to see them patrolling Jasper Ave between 97 St and 116 St.

Any chance of them working nights, especially on Whyte?