PDA

View Full Version : Going to Glen Murray tonight? C2E needs your help!

Scratchlana
06-06-2007, 10:47 AM
C2E has the opportunity to audio record Glen Murray's speech tonight, in order to post it as a guest column. I am needing someone to pick up a digital recorder (which I can supply) and go a little early to set it up with MacEwan's technician. Please contact me through private message if you can help out.

THANKS!

Scratchlana
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
We had a member graciously offer to help out. Thanks.

luxbeauty
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Went to his lecture tonight. It was excellent. Cultural capital has been one of my favorite soap box topics at least a decade. I just loved what he had to say. "Public works are public art" etc. Disheartened a bit, though, because I fear he's preaching to the converted. How do we get the message out to the naysayers?

Actually, I don't even care so much about converting the naysayers. What concerns me more is getting the powers that be to proceed with a vision despite the naysayers. I hope that the former mayor's pro-culture experience & message will give them the necessary fortitude.

Anyone else?

DebraW
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Went to his lecture tonight. It was excellent. Cultural capital has been one of my favorite soap box topics at least a decade. I just loved what he had to say. "Public works are public art" etc. Disheartened a bit, though, because I fear he's preaching to the converted. How do we get the message out to the naysayers?

Actually, I don't even care so much about converting the naysayers. What concerns me more is getting the powers that be to proceed with a vision despite the naysayers. I hope that the former mayor's pro-culture experience & message will give them the necessary fortitude.

Anyone else?

Wish I knew you were there...as I was too! (Right in the front row on the far right.)

I enjoyed his lecture immensely also but I know what you mean about preaching to the converted.

On the other hand, as he said if an openly gay man can be elected in Winnipeg with no money or influential connections behind him anything is possible.

Commitment and a willingness to dream can start a revolutionů

DebraW
07-06-2007, 12:19 AM
"Great cities do more than fix their pipes, pavement and police service. They tap their unique cultural assets to generate wealth and create a place where people aspire to work and live. This approach is essential to success in the new global, urban age."

- Glen Murray, AuthentiCity

^ This is the vision that resonated for me the most from Glen's lecture.

lux
07-06-2007, 10:02 PM
"Great cities do more than fix their pipes, pavement and police service. They tap their unique cultural assets to generate wealth and create a place where people aspire to work and live. This approach is essential to success in the new global, urban age."

- Glen Murray, AuthentiCity

^ This is the vision that resonated for me the most from Glen's lecture.

Glen Murray talks about unique cultural assets, and Winnipeg had nothing more unique than the Eaton's building on Portage. It was the family room of the city before houses had family rooms. People have said that the head office of Eatons may have been in Toronto, but the heart of the company was in Winnipeg. He swore as mayor that he would stand by that building and laughed at the prospect of demolition.

Instead, he quite hypocritically climbed aboard the bandwagon to tear it down, and Osmington did tear it down, and instead we have the instantly forgettable MTS Centre, only a few blocks form any number of giant empty parking lots where a central arena could have been put instead.

I'm glad I missed him.

Ken Chapman
07-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Scratchlana - if you have his presentation ditigally we would take a copy and add it to the video interview we are doing on out Internet video channel (www.policychannel.com) now. It should be edited and ready to load and view next week...likely Monday or Tuesday

We would do a link to C2E and credits to C2E and the Cultural Capital people too. It gives the effort a double hit...If interested contact Emily Smit at [email protected]

Thx - Ken Chapman

esmit
08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Hey Scratchlana,

Yes, I'm Emily and we'd love a copy of the presentation for our publicly-accessible video-on-demand website. I can convert it, edit it, etc, all I'd need is the rough video footage.
Thanks for your help.
Yes, I enjoyed meeting Glen just before his presentation on Wednesday. Very intriguing ideas.