PDA

View Full Version : North America's Largest Urban Parkland Receives $72.9-Million Investment

IanO
23-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Excellent

North America's Largest Urban Parkland Receives $72.9-Million Investment

January 23, 2013

Mayor Stephen Mandel joined River Valley Alliance members and government representatives to announce $90-million in funding support in the capital region river valley.

The River Valley Alliance (with 7 member municipalities including the City of Edmonton), the Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada each committed $30-million to the capital project.

While Edmonton contributed $24.3-million, it will receive $72.9-million from the $90-million announced. The investment will be used for 5 initiatives to increase equitable access and connection opportunities for citizens and visitors enjoying the jewel of the city and the region.

“We’re so proud to showcase our river and river valley, the largest river valley park in North America,” said Mayor Stephen Mandel. “It provides incredible and enviable quality of life along with unique economic and social benefits to our citizens. We thank our government and funding partners as this investment will improve accessibility and create opportunities in Edmonton for generations.”

The capital projects are planned to be completed by 2016. The City of Edmonton will assemble project teams and engage widely with communities and user groups to look at alignment and access on the 5 approved initiatives.

Edmonton’s 5 Initiatives
Terwillegar Park Footbridge
This 280-metre long footbridge will link Terwillegar Park to the river terrace north of the river.
Estimated cost: $24.5-million
West End Trails
This initiative will add 5 km of primary (paved) and secondary (gravel) trails to the river valley main spine trail. The extensions include a link between the recently completed signature Fort Edmonton Bridge and a new proposed footbridge to Terwillegar Park.
Estimated cost: $3.5-million
East End Trails
This initiative will add 14 km of primary and secondary trails to Edmonton’s river valley. The new trails will link existing paths in Goldstick and Hermitage Parks. New trails east of Hermitage Park will link to the bridge at Anthony Henday Drive.
Estimated cost $8.5-million
Boat Launches and Docks
Three boat launches and 7 docks.
Estimated cost: $2-million
Mechanized River Valley Access and Touch the Water Promenade
Mechanized access from Jasper Avenue to Rossdale, connecting to the river valley trail system and the Touch the Water Promenade. The Promenade will create amenities which could include plazas, walkways and docks around the new Walterdale Bridge and areas adjacent to the EPCOR lands.
Estimated cost: $34.4-million
Edmonton’s 5 initiatives align with Council’s strategic vision and goals on improving connectedness, supporting healthy active lifestyles and maintaining interconnectivity of our natural environment.

River Valley Maps Video

For more information:
Rob Marchak

Title Director of Strategic Projects, Sustainable Development
Telephone
780-442-1377

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/news/2013/north-americas-largest-urban-parkland-receives-investment.aspx

Medwards
23-01-2013, 09:52 AM
I love the first item.... this along with the newly constructed fort edmonton bridge opens up all the west end trails to easy access!

Any ideas on time frames for construction of the bridge?

mnugent
23-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Nice that's awesome. It has a lot of potential and just needs some infrastructure like this.
I'd love to see an Edmonton marathon one day, weaving from one end of the river valley to the other, crossing multiple bridges.

McBoo
23-01-2013, 01:32 PM
All projects, according to the Edmonton Urinal anway, to be completed by 2016.

Alex87
23-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Saw this online too, which is pretty cool:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Funding+approved+project+carry+people+into+Edmonto n/7861071/story.html

I think the funding for all items is terrific news, overshadowed a bit by today's arena deal.

AShetsen
23-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Is "mechanized access" the euphemism for that **** funicular along 104 street?

Or are they going to bring back a local trolley up and down Bellamy Hill?

In general I am NOT a fan of the old trolley buses. But I miss the old university-to-downtown bus routes. I think trolley service on Bellamy and Walterdale Hills would work very well.

IanO
24-01-2013, 07:50 AM
104st

24karat
24-01-2013, 11:12 AM
So happy to see this. I've always wondered why there are no boat launches along the shore. Now we should see more river activity in the future. The river valley is such a dominant feature of our city it's great to see new initiatives to enhance the valley.

24karat
24-01-2013, 11:15 AM
I was thinking about the proposed funicular. I wonder how it will get to the Rossdale site. Will it be an elevated system over the roadways? I understand how it will go down the hill, as most funiculars do, but the proposal is for it to go all the way to the power plant.

IanO
25-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I am hoping for rails.

Blueline
25-01-2013, 12:41 PM
great Ian, now you've opened the floor for the endless arguments "Surface or Elevated, Floor height etc etc etc"
These arguments begin to sound like the clkickity clack of the rails and wheels after a whilel