PDA

View Full Version : Low-income homeowner seniors get $63 tax offset

DebraW
29-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Low-income seniors get $63 tax offset

edmontonjournal.com
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Low-income seniors who own their own home will soon be getting a $63 cheque in their mailboxes to offset city property tax increases.

The grant is part of a City of Edmonton initiative called the Edmonton Seniors Homeowner Grant Program.

To qualify, seniors must own and live in their own home and receive the Alberta Seniors Benefit as of May 1, 2007.

Some representatives for seniors say the rebate will not go far enough to ease the burden of the city's high municipal taxes.

"I mean really, let's get serious here. To me, $63 is like, what can you buy with that? A couple of cases of beer? And then what are you going to do? Drown your sorrows," asked David Beckman, president of Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton.

High taxes and a lack of affordable housing are blamed for creating a unaffordable dilemma for many low income seniors.

"A lot of seniors are going to really struggle," Beckman said.

No application is required to receive the grant. All cheques will be mailed by the end of July. One cheque will be mailed for each qualified household.

--30--

bobinedmonton
30-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Gripe, gripe, gripe.

At least they're getting something. Nobody compensates me for my higher taxes and transportation costs.

Where do they find these people? Do they actually represent seniors? No wonder I've stopped reading the Edmonton Journal.
:smt018

ike9126
30-05-2007, 09:57 AM
What do you read then?