PDA

View Full Version : Should the proposed ravine park have a name?

grish
16-03-2007, 04:35 PM
There must be something Less bulky than The Greater Edmonton Region River Valley. Is it just me or we like really loooong names presented by some other names?

I think this is our chance to really honour someone or the past, or to highlight Edmonton. The latter is my preference, but I am not entirely opposed honouring someone worthy. (Please, no political figures.)

My suggestion is:

The Edmonton Park

any others?

psiebold1
16-03-2007, 05:32 PM
North Saskatchewan River Valley

We should probably break it up into smaller parks and have it honor the various characters that mark the history of Edmonton.

dwells
16-03-2007, 05:34 PM
There must be something Less bulky than The Greater Edmonton Region River Valley. Is it just me or we like really loooong names presented by some other names?

I think this is our chance to really honour someone or the past, or to highlight Edmonton. The latter is my preference, but I am not entirely opposed honouring someone worthy. (Please, no political figures.)

My suggestion is:

The Edmonton Park

any others?
I actually would prefer a long bulky name for formal use and smaller names to identify locales within the valley. If we have a catchy name or acronym for the entire stretch, places like Emily Murphy, Hawrelak, Louise McKinney, Rundle, Gold Bar, etc. would get lost.

I also think that using 'Edmonton' in the name would be rather arrogant considering that it is proposed to have Devon at one end and Fort Saskatchewan at the other.

That said, I regret that I have no alternative names to offer at this time.

howyadoin'
16-03-2007, 05:59 PM
How about Tooker Gomberg Trail?

Brentk
16-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Yes, look at Stanley park and how that name sticks out. Just don't name it something like Glen Sather park:)

kcantor
16-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, look at Stanley park and how that name sticks out. Just don't name it something like Glen Sather park:)
Don't forget that even Stanley Park is hierarchal (sorry but can't think of a better word at the moment) in that it includes Deadman's Island, Lost Lagoon, Brockton (lighthouse) Point, Prospect Point, Siwash Rock, Third Beach (no First or Second that I can recall) Ferguson Point, Beaver Lake and "the hollow tree" etc. It also has lots of permanent washrooms, souvenir shops, change facilities, restaurants and concession stands (HINT HINT) as well as tennis courts, play spaces, the aquarium and a miniature railway along with the pitch an putt golf course and the HMCS Discovey marina. None of these things make the seawall or the many trails less enjoyable or less "parklike".

ralph60
16-03-2007, 07:11 PM
The development of Rundle, Gold Bar, Dawson and Strathcona Science Parks was all originally called the "Capital City Recreaction Park". This name never really caught on as it was too long and not site specific. The same would happen with an expanded valley park system. I would think that individual park names are what people would use and any other formal naming of the entire system would be a waste of time and money.
I would think the area of the valley between Gold Bar Park and 50th street would be appropriate to name after Tooker.

Chump
16-03-2007, 07:21 PM
How about The River Valley :wink:
Thats what people are going to call it anyways - I like the idea of naming various parks within it though.

(I like Xelebes suggestion but just a bit worried about spending 7 minutes with each non-Canadian tourist teaching them how to pronounce Saskatchewan :lol: )

Caesar555
16-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I like the Tooker Gomberg Trail idea. He was a big propenent of this trail system. Despite what many think of the man as a counsellor, and the lefty counsil of the early 90s, they definitely had a major impact on not only the Valley, but also recycling programs and other progressive programs we are now proud of.

Sonic Death Monkey
17-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Greater Edmonton Provincial Park
Edmonton Regional Provincial Park

The first person to suggest replacing those with "Capital Region" will get slapped

grish
17-03-2007, 09:18 AM
like them both. First, though, it needs to be reclassified as a Provincial Park.

Does anyone know the criteria?

RichardS
17-03-2007, 12:44 PM
First, though, it needs to be reclassified as a Provincial Park.

I would support that to ensure that any development is controlled and heavily scrutinized. Zone for it and all will work. Plus, with the province behind it, the province will promote it.

E-Town Crusader
17-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm not a fan of the Tooker Gomberg Trail idea, but I have no problem naming one of the new pedestrian bridges after him.

IKAN104
20-03-2007, 10:20 PM
If this park is going to be on par with Stanley Park and Central Park then it should definitely have a name. Even if parks within the park have separate names, there's no reason the entire park system can't have one single name. One name to bind them all.

And it should be short and sweet. Preferably a single word and it doesn't even have to be descriptive or all inclusive, just memorable and easy to pronounce.

And please, not Tooker. No offense to Tooker fans out there but to me he represents the dark days of Edmonton. I'd prefer Mandel Park. I don't know if he was instrumental in this park deal or if he has done enough to deserve such an honour, I just think it's a cool name. :-D

RichardS
20-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Ft Edmonton Prov Park.

Why?

The fort is the crown jewel.

The fort is WHY we're here!

The land was HBS's in the first place, and why we even have the parkland.

travis
20-03-2007, 10:55 PM
If this park is going to be on par with Stanley Park and Central Park then it should definitely have a name. Even if parks within the park have separate names, there's no reason the entire park system can't have one single name. One name to bind them all.

And it should be short and sweet. Preferably a single word and it doesn't even have to be descriptive or all inclusive, just memorable and easy to pronounce.

And please, not Tooker. No offense to Tooker fans out there but to me he represents the dark days of Edmonton. I'd prefer Mandel Park. I don't know if he was instrumental in this park deal or if he has done enough to deserve such an honour, I just think it's a cool name. :-D

Well if you're going for coolness, I think Mendel Park sounds much cooler. And no, I'm not thinking of any Mendel in particular.

DebraW
20-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm not a fan of the Tooker Gomberg Trail idea, but I have no problem naming one of the new pedestrian bridges after him.

^ Not to be morbid but Tooker committed suicide and was it not by jumping from a bridge in the Toronto area and drowning? MB naming a bridge after him not the most fitting of recognition…:?

That said I have no problem with some sort of public recognition of him just perhaps not a bridge.

Having parks named after people is not easy especially if they are still living (courtesy of the Mayor Hawrelak debacle).

travis
20-03-2007, 11:18 PM
It was the suspension bridge in Halifax. I agree, naming a bridge after him would not be appropriate. Maybe a lookout point would be more suitable.

kcantor
20-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Well if you're going for coolness, I think Mendel Park sounds much cooler. And no, I'm not thinking of any Mendel in particular.
If the only criteria is "cool", it would have to be Macarthur['s] Park.

D**n, showing my age again... at least it's a name even Tooker could appreciate...

grish
20-03-2007, 11:24 PM
can I please make a suggestion that it be anybody but a political figure.

how about recognizing the first nations, or the early explorers, or simply the location--Grand Edmonton Park.

travis
20-03-2007, 11:27 PM
"El Mendel quid Laser Beam Provinvial Park"

m0nkyman
21-03-2007, 12:32 AM
"Henry and Martha memorial park"
;)

or "Bob" ... "what's the name of that park?" - "Bob" - "Bob ParK?" - "Nope. Just Bob."

OK. I'm in a weird mood.... :lol:

IKAN104
21-03-2007, 08:16 AM
If the only criteria is "cool", it would have to be Macarthur['s] Park.

D**n, showing my age again... at least it's a name even Tooker could appreciate...

I like it. MacArthur Park. Sounds distinguished.

RichardS
21-03-2007, 08:23 AM
can I please make a suggestion that it be anybody but a political figure.

I agree. Keep it generic. Keep it Edmonton.

Name some of the parks after the towns and cities that make up the area...(a Devonian Gardens II, Father Lacombe park, Strathcona lookout, whatever).

Political and historic figures can have the bridges, statues, and other markers.

Medwards
21-03-2007, 09:14 AM
How about the "West Edmonton Mall Greater Edmonton North Saskatchewan River Valley brought to you by the Brick"?

RichardS
21-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Is that our running gag forever? :)

RichardS
21-03-2007, 09:28 AM
To the statue/marker comment, I think this trail could even become our own "walk of fame/history". Select spots for markers throughout the trail for our history. Have nomination committees work on who should be included, and raise the money for the art/statue/bust that is required.

So, you could have the Stollery bust, the Tooker art, and the Max Ward statue...for example.

grish
21-03-2007, 12:25 PM
So, you could have the Stollery bust, the Tooker art, and the Max Ward statue...for example.

who would've thought we think alike...?

How about naming the park after distinguished contributors to quality of life and living in edmonton? Edmonton philanthropist Park with paths, bridges, benches all named after people who have contributed to edmonton with generosity (volunteer as well as financial).

RichardS
21-03-2007, 12:42 PM
We've agreed more often than not grish...;)

Philanthropist Park does get to the alliteration bit, but is a mouthful.

Edmonton Life Park? ...although a theme on philanthropy is unique from what I can gather...and as you state the phiolanthropy is not just monetary.

ThomasH
21-03-2007, 11:15 PM
:smt115

Let's call it "ThomasH Park"!

kcantor
22-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Okay... it looks like MacArther Park isn't going to make the short list. It was tongue in cheek anyway and I haven't been able to find even a tenous link between Richard Harris and Edmonton other than melting in the rain so...

what about Champions Park? We have a recent "top 100" list courtesy from our centenary to begin with. It also leaves lots of potential for those jurisdictions outside of the city to celebrate their champions as well... Louise McKinney already fits into that mode, as does Hawrelack Park, Allan Stein Park in Riverdale etc.

RichardS
22-03-2007, 02:51 PM
"champions" is overdone in Edmonton I think...

grish
22-03-2007, 03:09 PM
ok, no politicians and no Champions...
when you overdo something it is in danger of becoming a joke.

grish
25-03-2007, 10:23 AM
We've agreed more often than not grish...;)

Philanthropist Park does get to the alliteration bit, but is a mouthful.

Edmonton Life Park? ...although a theme on philanthropy is unique from what I can gather...and as you state the phiolanthropy is not just monetary.

Edmonton Legends Park? Canada Legends Park?

I understand that Philantropist is a mouthful, but

Canadian Philapthropy Park may bring some $$ from other philantropists around (just to be able to say "I have helped build the Philanthropist Park") as well as 3 levels of government.

RichardS
25-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I see the potential...

IKAN104
16-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Here we have this wonderful park system in Edmonton of which we are so proud but the rest of the world knows nothing about. It is a river valley with an extensive trail system connecting no less than 17 official “parks”.

But aren’t they all really just parks within a park? I mean if all these parks are connected by more parkland isn’t it all really just one big park? And isn’t that what we are trying to tell the world when we proudly, yet unconvincingly, promote it as North America’s largest contiguous urban park system that is 22 times larger than New York’s Central Park?

How can we expect to convince the world that this is one big park when locally we don’t even consider it a single park? The city does not officially recognize it as one park. Yet we try so hard to market this “river valley” as one park that is not really a park. What?

If this “river valley” is really a “park” then it should have a name. A single name. And that would allow us to market it as “North America’s largest urban park”. That would truly put it on the list of notable North American parks. And that would finally allow us to proudly promote and market this thing that we love. No longer painfully and shamefully trying to get noticed, but actually belonging where we claim to belong.

If it is one big park then let’s give it a name and legitimize the promotion of the park.

Does anybody else think that this would make promotion more effective? And what would it take, other than a simple directive and a naming contest?

grish
16-09-2008, 05:03 PM
MEGA Park?

/\ to avoid being stuck with this name you will think of something better!!!

(hmmm MEGA-- Metro Edmonton Giant Area?)

IKAN104
16-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I think we should compile a list of names of people worthy of the honour, then pick the coolest sounding name (preferably something with three syllables or less).

Medwards
16-09-2008, 05:37 PM
threads merged - deleted posts asking for merging, and duplicated posts because of merging....

please continue! (thanks grish and Ikan104)

mark
16-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Erasing the term "The River Valley" from the collective consciousness of 1 million+ people who already know, use, and seem not to mind it is a tall order. Let's just formalize the name it's already known by: "the river valley"

IKAN104
16-09-2008, 05:52 PM
No, you're missing the point. It's not for the convenience of the locals, because I agree it always takes time for people to get used to new names (it took me years to stop calling Global TV, ITV) but the point is that for marketing purposes a single name for this park will do wonders.

If the locals still want to call it the river valley then that's fine, but if EEDC and Travel Alberta at least have a name to tie to this thing then it suddenly becomes marketable as an entity.

How would you market the Okanagan if it was just "the region in BC where fruit grows" or how would you market Jasper National Park if it was just "that part of the Rocky Mountains that's still in Alberta"? You've got to tie a name to it.

grish
16-09-2008, 07:02 PM
i wonder what's along the North Saskatchewan to the west and to the east? I mean is it possible to press the Feds to build a national park of the North Saskatchewan basin from the Columbia Ice-fields to the Hudson Bay? Now that would be a great park! The name is then the North Saskatchewan River National Park.

Sonic Death Monkey
16-09-2008, 08:35 PM
"Daryl Katz's Backyard" :D

grish
16-09-2008, 08:42 PM
All Relax at Rexal Park... has a certain ring to it.

Come alive at Oiler valley... this does too.

Watch flying bats at a park "Daryl Katz"!

IKAN104
17-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I still like the "Mendel" and "MacArthur" ideas that were brought forward earlier in this thread.

Blueline
17-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Lets not let the feds or the "provies" highjack this and remove all evidence of Edmonton in the naming as they have done elsewhere

glasshead
17-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Lets not let the feds or the "provies" highjack this and remove all evidence of Edmonton in the naming as they have done elsewhere

Bingo, could you imagine the Travel(Calgary)Alberta brochures: "Come visit the majestic North saskatchewan River Valley Park...just a short 3 hour drive north of Calgary, into the wild north." :smt078

IKAN104
17-09-2008, 08:30 AM
lol. That's funny. Although also a little bit disconcerting.

davidnorwoodink
18-09-2008, 12:34 PM
The entire park actually does have a name: "Alberta's Capital Region River Valley Park."

Here's a link to the official site: www.rivervalley.ab.ca/ (http://www.rivervalley.ab.ca/)

grish
18-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Phew. that was close. I mean Capital Region Alberta Park (C.R.A.P) would really be something else.

i think I was hoping for something a bit more catchy and meaningful.

davidnorwoodink
18-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Phew. that was close. I mean Capital Region Alberta Park (C.R.A.P) would really be something else.

i think I was hoping for something a bit more catchy and meaningful.

Yeah, I agree. That is quite the mouthful - and I loved your acronym...

IKAN104
18-09-2008, 02:48 PM
The entire park actually does have a name: "Alberta's Capital Region River Valley Park."

Here's a link to the official site: www.rivervalley.ab.ca/ (http://www.rivervalley.ab.ca/)

That blows.

Edmontonfan
18-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Gotta be changed!

Sonic Death Monkey
18-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Good God. Not only is it a mouthful, but the whole "Alberta Capital Region" thing rubs me the wrong way. Why not "Greater Edmonton Valley Park"?

IKAN104
19-09-2008, 07:31 AM
I'd even prefer to keep the city name out of it. How about "Riverside Park".

Blueline
19-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Googled it and got "Results 1 - 10 of about 1,740,000 for riverside park. "
It is a great name though

IKAN104
19-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Hmmm.... preferably our name will be a little more unique than that. I also thought of "waterside park" but that's too close to "waterslide park". :D And "Nature Valley" just makes me think of granola bars.

Let's see now...
Grand Valley Park
Mighty Valley Park
River Span Park
Great Divide Park
Placid River Park
Heartland Park

grish
19-09-2008, 09:19 AM
i wonder is the name for the river in one of the native languages. the park idea is all about the preservation of this timeless part of our landscape. The name 'North Saskatchewan River' is only at most a few hundred years old, but maybe there is a name that the river has been known for much, much longer. Preserving THAT name through this park seems very appropriate.

booster
19-09-2008, 09:48 AM
The river gets its name from the Cree word Kisaskatchewan meaning ''swiftly moving water''.This is from http://www.kalynacountry.com/outdooradventures/north_saskatchewan_river.htm

grish
19-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Kisaskatchewan Park--I like it.

moahunter
19-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Since it is a ravine made from erosion, how about "Gash in the City?"

Darkwalker
19-09-2008, 12:16 PM
River City Park

IKAN104
19-09-2008, 07:33 PM

But it would get shortened to kiss-*** park.

Sonic Death Monkey
19-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I really like it, it's unique and far superior to these generic and unoriginal names people are coming up with here.

ZiZiPop
19-09-2008, 10:39 PM
River City Ribbon park?
Green Ribbon Park?

RTA
20-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Edmonton River Valley.

IKAN104
21-09-2008, 11:27 AM
That sounds more like a topographical description than a name.

RTA
21-09-2008, 02:21 PM
So does "Central Park" and that doesn't even have the city's name attached to it.

highlander
21-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I like the Kisaskatchewan Park Idea. It avoids making people think of saskatchewan but Isn't genaric, it doesn't say edmonton because the park is bigger than Edmonton and most of all doesn't have capital or Region in it. It's also unlimited in how far it could expand.

But it would get shortened to kiss-*** park
That never stopped the Can-an-***-kiss? park

Actually, Kick-*** prak might be the nickname, and who can argue?

IKAN104
22-09-2008, 09:07 AM
But it would get shortened to kiss-*** park
That never stopped the Can-an-***-kiss? park

lol. I never thought of that.

Actually, Kick-*** park might be the nickname, and who can argue?

That'd be a most excellent nickname. :D

Anyway, trying to think of names is fun but what's it gonna take to actually make this official? Who needs to be involved?

newfangled
22-09-2008, 10:23 AM
I think my preference is for "Edmonton Provincial Park," because how many cities have provincial parks right in the heart of the city? (And leave off that "Greater" and "Region" stuff - no one was ever inspired by bureaucratic tokenism.)

Just to dig up an old idea though, what about Aurora Park, or Northern Lights Park (or Aurora Provincial Park or Northern Lights Provincial Park)? I'll always be partial to the latter, since it's more ambiguous and thereof more flexible and open to interpertation. Calgary could still steal it, but whatever.

grish
22-09-2008, 04:47 PM
There is a city called Aurora--might get confusing.