PDA

View Full Version : meanwhile in Calgary....

LindseyT
13-03-2007, 06:33 PM
So, I was late flipping the channels after watching Arrested Development on CBC, so I managed to catch the start of the news. The top story "Calgary's Massive growth" When I flipped to Global Edmonton the lead story was ETS policing followed by FREAKING POT HOLES AND SNOW REMOVAL, followed by the population statistics.

Look no further as to why we are mostly ignored. Calgary toots their horn and say we are great, people listen. We sitback and talk about trivial issues to cautious to say were better than some, people listen.

Similarly, has Edmonton grown the balls to respond to the Saskatchewan adds that are polluting this city? Saskatchewan say's young people should be attracted by their low costs. I say Edmonton has what matters most to young people, the culture, vibrancy, options, and events that can be found in cities of over a million people.

Did I miss a meeting? Are we not allowed to say we're better than others? Do we feel to guilty if our growth comes at the expense of others?

IanO
13-03-2007, 06:35 PM
^can you be mayor?

Sonic Death Monkey
13-03-2007, 06:35 PM
CTV News' top story was Edmonton's population growth.

LindseyT
13-03-2007, 06:43 PM
CTV News' top story was Edmonton's population growth.

Did they manage to find some sappy story from Ernie from Saskatchewan or a Joey from Newfoundland? You know saying how the money is great but they miss home and would go back in a second if they could.

Heaven forbid they give show the side of all those people who love it here, money just being the lure that brought them here to find an all around better life.

Someone like myself, who grew up in Newfoundland, but have zero intention of going back because I want more in life than a $150 000 house.

Sonic Death Monkey
13-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Nope, it was on par with what you'd find in the Journal. Booming metro population as bragging rights, tempered by traffic and housing pressures. Not quite on par with rah-rah Calgary but not as negative as you portray it.

Which is why I only watch CTV at the dinner hour. Global is too sensationalist (plus I'm sick of Linda and Gord), CBC is so-so and CityTV is non-existent.

LindseyT
13-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I'll have to give CTV a chance then. I just grew up with ITV.... Plus Linda mmm

Sonic Death Monkey
13-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh yes and as I said in another thread, the population of Calgary proper is actually 988,193 and not the over one million as they claim. :D

LindseyT
13-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I realized I need to clariy my post. It was CBC Calgary. Bell express Vu doesn't carry CBC Edmonton so I've completly forgot about needing to differentiate between the two.

DebraW
13-03-2007, 10:28 PM
So, I was late flipping the channels after watching Arrested Development on CBC, so I managed to catch the start of the news. The top story "Calgary's Massive growth" When I flipped to Global Edmonton the lead story was ETS policing followed by FREAKING POT HOLES AND SNOW REMOVAL, followed by the population statistics.

Look no further as to why we are mostly ignored. Calgary toots their horn and say we are great, people listen. We sitback and talk about trivial issues to cautious to say were better than some, people listen.

Similarly, has Edmonton grown the balls to respond to the Saskatchewan adds that are polluting this city? Saskatchewan say's young people should be attracted by their low costs. I say Edmonton has what matters most to young people, the culture, vibrancy, options, and events that can be found in cities of over a million people.

Did I miss a meeting? Are we not allowed to say we're better than others? Do we feel to guilty if our growth comes at the expense of others?

I don't know about mayor as per IanO...but please never stop telling us what you think! I don't always agree but man is it fun...

LindseyT
13-03-2007, 10:46 PM

I don't know about mayor as per IanO...but please never stop telling us what you think! I don't always agree but man is it fun...

If you can't have fun, whats the point? :D

Chump
14-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Similarly, has Edmonton grown the balls to respond to the Saskatchewan adds that are polluting this city? Saskatchewan say's young people should be attracted by their low costs. I say Edmonton has what matters most to young people, the culture, vibrancy, options, and events that can be found in cities of over a million people

LOL!
Ads? Thats surprisingly aggressive. Edmonton needs to advertise more over here, tourism I mean. Last year's champ car race ad was good. Everyone here seems to go to Calgary for holidays - probably becasue almost everyone has a family member that moved there :roll:

Sonic Death Monkey
14-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I've been watching the Global Morning News. At 6:30 there was no mention of the metro Edmonton region reaching one million, instead Edmonton proper is over 700,000 people. At 7 AM, they mention the Capital region reaching 1 million (as opposed to the Edmonton area). But following that, someone whining about finding housing and the high cost of living. And then after that, the big pothole story.

Chump
14-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I've been watching the Global Morning News. At 6:30 there was no mention of the metro Edmonton region reaching one million, instead Edmonton proper is over 700,000 people. At 7 AM, they mention the Capital region reaching 1 million (as opposed to the Edmonton area). But following that, someone whining about finding housing and the high cost of living. And then after that, the big pothole story.

Wasn't there a big whoopdeedoo last year, Jan 1, about passing one million? I seem to recall something like that. I think part of the reason might be people aren't that exited about it anymore - the million mark in terms of size has been used for some time now. Its official now, but not that surprising.

LindseyT
14-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Similarly, has Edmonton grown the balls to respond to the Saskatchewan adds that are polluting this city? Saskatchewan say's young people should be attracted by their low costs. I say Edmonton has what matters most to young people, the culture, vibrancy, options, and events that can be found in cities of over a million people

LOL!
Ads? Thats surprisingly aggressive. Edmonton needs to advertise more over here, tourism I mean. Last year's champ car race ad was good. Everyone here seems to go to Calgary for holidays - probably becasue almost everyone has a family member that moved there :roll:

I've noticed the adds on the LRT and around campus in the Gateway. They all have the same format. A young couple standing infront of some suburban cookie cutter home with the caption saying how affordable the home was.

daleb
14-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I look at those ads whenever I'm suffering from insomnia.

Funk E-Town
02-04-2007, 10:03 AM

LOL!

I've noticed the adds on the LRT and around campus in the Gateway. They all have the same format. A young couple standing infront of some suburban cookie cutter home with the caption saying how affordable the home was.

What Saskatchewan forgot to mention in these ads is:\

The 178,000 home they just bought was worth 95,000 two years ago...

That same home will be worth $95,000 again, as soon as the Alberta boom is over...

You need to travel 5.5 hours by car to a good airport if you want to go anywhere

The only reason the migration back to Saskatchewan is greater than people moving to Alberta is: we've already imported all the ones we wanted - and getting rid of the ones we don't.

(I know... I am asking for it - just wanted to add some spice to this thread...)

Titanium48
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM

That same home will be worth $95,000 again, as soon as the Alberta boom is over...
And you don't think the same thing will happen here if the boom comes to an abrupt end? The numbers will just be twice as big.

You need to travel 5.5 hours by car to a good airport if you want to go anywhere
It's not like Saskatoon doesn't have flights to YVR and YYZ (from which you can go anywhere you want).

People keep posting here about how they want Edmonton to get over it's "discountville" reputation. Part of that is not being bothered when Saskatchewan promotes itself as "discountville". Accept the fact that Saskatchewan has a cost advantage and start focussing on what we have that they don't.

IanO
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

And you don't think the same thing will happen here if the boom comes to an abrupt end? The numbers will just be twice as big.

It's not like Saskatoon doesn't have flights to YVR and YYZ (from which you can go anywhere you want).

People keep posting here about how they want Edmonton to get over it's "discountville" reputation. Part of that is not being bothered when Saskatchewan promotes itself as "discountville". Accept the fact that Saskatchewan has a cost advantage and start focussing on what we have that they don't.

amen