PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing spots in the city?

AnthonyPossnett
31-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Hello Edmonton,

I moved back to the city a couple years ago and this is my first season fishing here. I've been fishing in the river at Hermitage Park. Can anyone suggest any other good fishing spots in the city or really close by?

Thanks,

Anthony Possnett

Channing76
31-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah I was trying to find a good trout fishing spot, doesn't seem to many places in alberta.

sdimedru
01-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah I was trying to find a good trout fishing spot, doesn't seem to many places in alberta.

are you serious?

as far as fishing in the city, you're pretty much limited to the NSR and hermitage.

JJMorrocco
01-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Try the Alberta outdoorsmen forum, there is a lot of good info there and some very local. You will have to do a bit of searching as the posts and topics are not controlled at all, lots of freedom kind of nice sometimes.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4

richardW
01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
are the fish in the NSR edible?

ralph60
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
There is a recommended maximum amount of fish you can eat out of the river but I'm not sure what the limits are. I've fished in the river but have always played catch and release due to the naturally occurring Mercury.
My favorite spots are just downstream from the Dawson Bridge on the North bank, upstream of the Capilano bridge on the South bank (by the little island) and my very favorite spot is the mouth of the Sturgeon, across the river from Ft. Saskatchewan.
Please don't tell anybody about these though as I wouldn't want my secrets to get out.
There are lots of fish in the river, the most common I see are Jack and Goldeye.

bolo
01-09-2011, 11:29 AM

http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/parks_rivervalley/fishing.aspx

You should not eat fish from the North Saskatchewan River more than once a week and do not eat the liver or other organs. Pregnant women, women of child-bearing age, and children under the age of 15 should not consume the fish at all.

Don't expect to feed the family. But there are some fun catches in the NSR (sturgeon, pike).

Edmonton PRT
01-09-2011, 11:55 AM

ask Blinky

http://www.rob-clarkson.com/duff-brewery/blinky/01.gif

I have seen 5 ft Sturgeon just downstream from the old North Cloverbar power plant.

bolo
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
^The Cloverbar nuclear power plant? :rolleyes:

JJMorrocco
01-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I have also heard that Beaumont pond can be good.

Any you can fish Summerside lake without license if you are a resident - apparently it does not fall under Provincial regs as it is private - you should confirm this first from a more reliable source of course.

chupa
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
The nsr is actually a spectacular fishery with a diverse population of fish, its also becoming renowned for some trophy walleye. Fish that can be found in the nsr within city limits are; goldeye, mooneye, walleye, sauger, pike,lake sturgeon,white sucker,river redhorse,quillback,longnose sucker,shorthead redhorse,rocky mountain whitefish,yellow perch,and occasionally brown trout and rainbow trout are caught allthough the portion near drayton valley is much better for trout species.

If your looking to fish for trout beaumont has a stocked pond that overwinters and can produce some large rainbow trout. Or chickakoo and sauer lake to the west near spruce grove produce some good rainbows and brook trout (chickakoo).

AnthonyPossnett
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the warnings about mercury levels in the N Sask. River. I usually fish more for fun than to feed myself. Someone else told me about fishing in Ft. Saskatchewan. Can you tell me how to get to the spot where you can fish? I know how to get to Ft. Saskatchewan and I've been there before but I've tried to get to fishing spots off Google Maps before and don't always have a lot of success!

Where's the best trout fishing spots in the city? I won't be allowed to fish for much longer if I don't bring home something that my pregnant wife can actually eat. I tried at Hermitage at the lake with the dock but didn't have much luck. The other people who were there weren't really catching much either.

Anthony Possnett

ralph60
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
The mouth of the Sturgeon River is opposite Ft. Saskatchewan.
If you are in Edmonton take the Manning Freeway to Hwy 37. Exit onto 37 and take an immediate right turn onto Secondary 825. Go a couple klicks on 825 till you reach a turn to the Sturgeon Industrial Park. instead of following 825, go straight, the hwy becomes Boysdale Road. Stay on this road, it will eventually cross a large causeway through the Sturgeon River Valley. There is a railroad track on top of the causeway. Find a place to park, jump the fence and hike down to the river.
This area used to be a really popular picnic site in the early 1960's. You were able to drive right down to the valley floor, there were lots of areas for people to park and play in and around the river. About 1965 the CNR basically filled in an enormous section of the Sturgeon Valley with their hideous causeway and removed access to the picnic sites. That is why I recommend trespassing to go fish because they criminally destroyed one of the nicest spots in the Edmonton region.
This site is worth the drive to anybody who wants to see the biggest environmental crime in the Edmonton regions history. It's been 45 years and it still makes me angry.

Replacement
01-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the warnings about mercury levels in the N Sask. River. I usually fish more for fun than to feed myself. Someone else told me about fishing in Ft. Saskatchewan. Can you tell me how to get to the spot where you can fish? I know how to get to Ft. Saskatchewan and I've been there before but I've tried to get to fishing spots off Google Maps before and don't always have a lot of success!

Where's the best trout fishing spots in the city? I won't be allowed to fish for much longer if I don't bring home something that my pregnant wife can actually eat. I tried at Hermitage at the lake with the dock but didn't have much luck. The other people who were there weren't really catching much either.

Anthony PossnettYeah I wouldn't recommend consumption of NSR fish for someone pregnant or nursing. I know the advised limits but I would worry about this.
Hard to find Trout in the NSR. They stock the Hermitage pond but I don't think fish are overwintering very well. This is not at all trout habitat around Edmonton.

From what I know Trout prefer cool clean water, little vegetation, very oxygenated water.

slennie
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
There are some good spots along the NSR for sure...at the river within Hermitage Park walleye(sometimes big ones) and goldeye are taken regularly....below the Beverly Bridge and off Laurie Park, good place for pike....and at the mouth of Whitemud Creek, very popular place for goldeye.
As far as trout, best bet is to drive a bit. Ashland Dam (west of Warburg) is a good place for rainbows. Hasse Lake(apparently not stocked since 2010) and Star Lake both just west of Stony Plain are also popular rainbow trout lakes that are regularly stocked.