PDA

View Full Version : Candidate Don Iveson

Admin
21-09-2010, 03:59 PM
This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Don Iveson Councillor Ward 10.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

Don Iveson
28-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I have been a frequent reader and very occasional contributor over the past three years. I appreciate both C2E's thoughtfulness and irreverence and look forward to your questions.

Many of them can no doubt be addressed by information I've posted on my blog over the past couple of years at http://www.doniveson.ca/blog or as part of the campaign redesign of my website (http://www.doniveson.ca), but ask and I shall answer.

BTW: I'll be at YEG Politweetup (http://shareedmonton.ca/events/2010/10/02/politweetup) this weekend on the off chance that any of you on-line peeps want to meet "IRL" as the cool kids say.

etownboarder
28-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi Don,

Big fan here!

It looks like you and your opponent for Ward 10 have similar platforms in many regards. Could you please tell us what sets you two apart? Why you over Al Slemko?

I would be pleased to have you both on City Council. It's too bad you're running against each other.

Don Iveson
30-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I think these campaigns should be about why you should vote for someone, not why you shouldn't vote for someone else.

I would suggest that my record is strong after three three years working on strengthening our established neighbourhoods (http://www.youtube.com/user/electiveson#p/a/u/1/kC8Ammbd0Fg), improving transportation choices (http://www.doniveson.ca/transit/) and pushing for better urban planning (http://www.doniveson.ca/planning//).

For example, I advocated strongly for investment in neighbourhood reconstruction in 2008 and staunchly defended the program from budget cuts in 2009; as chair of the Transportation and Public Works committee I hammered out a reasonable funding strategy for the city's pedestrian and cycling infrastructure programs that passed Council unanimously; and I made significant amendments to the city's Municipal Development Plan to give infill redevelopment a greater priority and to set some standards for making density work better for families with children.

I know from three years of working with the people in these neighbourhoods, and from months of knocking on doors that these are important issues to people in Ward 10 and that they feel like we're making some progress.

I am excited about the opportunity to work on these pivotal issues (and others) for three more years.

Thomas Hinderks
13-10-2010, 09:51 AM
The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
Executive Director
Alberta Aviation Museum

Don Iveson
14-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I believe the Aviation Museum has a future on its present site, should the board desire to continue to operate there. I have met with Mr. Hinderks on several occasions to discuss both the museum's progress in response to the grants the City has provided for development, as well as the implications of phased closure.

One of the reasons I supported a phased closure approach is to give the Museum time to make decisions about the permanent collection and make plans to fly in any aircraft before landing capability is lost.

I am also supportive of preserving the two historic hangers nearby the museum, as recommended by Mr. Hinderks. Best use of those structures is yet to be determined, but the notion of a civic museum that picks up after Fort Edmonton and tells our city's story from 1930 onward would align nicely with the Aviation Museum's program. I see opportunities for two museums to collaborate and re-inforce each other.

Finally, I have had numerous conversations with constituents concerned about the history of the airport and I have said many times that I am committed to honouring the history of the ECCA lands, and think that the sustainability of the Aviation Museum is critical to properly honouring that history.

Don Iveson
14-10-2010, 10:01 AM
In other news, C2E folks might enjoy the transportation video (http://www.doniveson.ca/2010/10/13/transportation-choices-a-video-using-lego/) we just put up - illustrated exclusively using Lego.

Medwards
14-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I wish you were running in ward 6 so I could vote foe you don

newfangled
14-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Don, your Lego Pecha Kucha talk was pure brilliance.

You've got my vote anytime you want to run for something on the other side of the river.

Thomas Hinderks
14-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I believe the Aviation Museum has a future on its present site, should the board desire to continue to operate there. I have met with Mr. Hinderks on several occasions to discuss both the museum's progress in response to the grants the City has provided for development, as well as the implications of phased closure.

One of the reasons I supported a phased closure approach is to give the Museum time to make decisions about the permanent collection and make plans to fly in any aircraft before landing capability is lost.

I am also supportive of preserving the two historic hangers nearby the museum, as recommended by Mr. Hinderks. Best use of those structures is yet to be determined, but the notion of a civic museum that picks up after Fort Edmonton and tells our city's story from 1930 onward would align nicely with the Aviation Museum's program. I see opportunities for two museums to collaborate and re-inforce each other.

Finally, I have had numerous conversations with constituents concerned about the history of the airport and I have said many times that I am committed to honouring the history of the ECCA lands, and think that the sustainability of the Aviation Museum is critical to properly honouring that history.

Thank you for your response

Thomas Hinderks
Executive Director
Alberta Aviation Museum

Good luck

24karat
14-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Proud to have a Don Iveson sign on my fence. Also have two Mayor Mandel signs. Good luck to you both.

Altaflyer
14-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I too wish I could vote for Don! At least having Don on Council will be a benefit for all of Edmonton.