PDA

View Full Version : Candidate Calvin Lim

Admin
21-09-2010, 03:58 PM
This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Calvin Lim Councillor Ward 9.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

Calvin Lim
22-09-2010, 04:21 PM
My commitment if elected.

1 Cut tax and ensure efficient uses of tax-payers’ hard-earn money. It’s your money!!
2 Be efficient and communicate. Instead of committing first and asking for more later.

And most of all,

Be Heard

Vision:
To establish cost effective solutions to collect public opinion and vote prudently on the issues that impact our daily living, using tools inviting citizens to voice opinion with technology, (utilizing my expertise in financial / technology and passion to help people)

I am ready to listen.

www.calvinforcouncillor.com (http://www.calvinforcouncillor.com)

etownboarder
22-09-2010, 05:22 PM
That's all?

Calvin Lim
22-09-2010, 05:28 PM
No... there are more but in the mean time, instead of writing boring articles all over, I believe in interactive communication.

I have some of my views on my still "in construction" web page.
www.calvinforcouncillor.com (http://www.calvinforcouncillor.com)

My theme and the sole reason to run..

Be Heard......

Edmontonian had long been ignored of their views until things are too late to say no.

I believe in effective use of technology...

kcantor
22-09-2010, 05:40 PM
calvin,

given that your webpage states that "Whether we retain or close the airport, I think we have to be presented with all of the facts", are you suggesting that our elected city councillors did not have all of the facts when they decided to commence its phased closure last year and again when it was determined that the petition presented to them failed completely on two grounds to meet the specific and non-arbitrary requirements of the municipal government act and yet again when they determined that the facts on which they made their original decision were still valid and virtually all of those same facts are publicly available (particularly for anyone believing in the effective use of technology)?

ken

Calvin Lim
22-09-2010, 07:12 PM
No.. As per stated... We, the citizen of this city have to be presented with all the facts. At least have a public forum that reach over certain percentage of people in this city. Just ask around, how many of us knew about the decision to shut the airport until it was too late to say something? Yes, it was available publicly, but how many people actually read them? And where?

As a businessman, I rely on facts for decision everyday. It has to be presentated in such way that benefits majority of us.

- in short, "show me the money"

Lay man's term. Tell me what will I gain from shutting the airport, and not shutting them. If the very fundamental of these has not been established, and if I do not like the elected official's decision, must I wait 3 years to present my point of view?

Or,

Take legal action?

Do not forget the fact that we are trying to make this city a better place to live. Having an endless litigation that cost public money, will only add burden to our tax. That way, everybody lose.

grish
22-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Just to clarify or add specifics to Ken's comments:

Calvin, do you think that all the public consultations that the city has conducted prior to voting to close the airport was not sufficient to give the opportunity to the citizens to hear the facts? Were not all facts presented at those meetings? Were some facts missing and not sufficient notice given to the citizens of Edmonton to participate in that round of discussion?

Thank you for taking time to respond.

Calvin Lim
22-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Grish,

What do you think?

Where do you think the tens of thousands of signature came from?

It's really annoying to me when 10% of signatures from city being collected mean nothing. If you want to proof the point, go get more signatures to overrule them, not with bureaucracy or some technicality.

We reason with people, explain with rationale and logic, not otherwise.
As I mention in the earlier post, it would be more beneficial to us taxpayer. The last thing I want to see is endless of litigation bills.

Calvin

P.S. If you like my response, please invite more to share their views here.
Feel free to visit my "5 minutes yet cheaply done" web page (www.calvinforcouncillor.com (http://www.calvinforcouncillor.com)) and sign on my guest book to show your support. I strongly believe in low cost but effective use of your tax money.

In my opinion, they are way too high!

abaka
23-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Mr. Lim, thank you for answering questions.

1. You say you want to cut taxes. (a) What do you feel is an appropriate reduction (5%, 10%, 25%, 50%, etc.)? (b) What services are you willing to sacrifice to achieve it (I am looking for a specific list, please)?

2. Do you feel urban services should be distributed throughout the city on a per-population density basis, or as weighted per district by total property taxes paid?

3. What balance of spending do you feel the city should have on public transport and on road maintenance and expansion?

4. Development of new residential tracts is governed by land use bylaws. What do you feel is the optimal balance of single-family, and multiple-unit housing?

5. Do you personally prefer big-box power centres or commercial streets?

Thank you for the time taken to consider these questions.

Calvin Lim
23-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Please, call me Calvin.

Very good question indeed. I have drop down some figures in my office before I decided to run for councillor. I will response when I get back to office.

Calvin

Edmcowboy11
23-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Hello Calvin

Thank you for participating on this forum.

Regarding the plebicite issue about the airport. Can you please remind me about the two requirements that were not met and can you tell me why you feel that these requirements were met?

Also in regards to plebicites in general. How often do you feel that the population should take a vote on decisions?

Finally, you brought up the point that there wasn't much for public consultation or involvement regarding the airport issue, as you put it. "Just ask around, how many of us knew about the decision to shut the airport until it was too late to say something? Yes, it was available publicly, but how many people actually read them? And where?" Now this question isn't about the airport but about public involvement. How do you propose to force people to pay attention to notices, public forums, etc... I think the city does a good job informing the public about these notices, but if you feel that the city isn't doing that, how do you propose to change that?

Thank you for your time.

Calvin Lim
23-09-2010, 04:43 PM
1. You say you want to cut taxes. (a) What do you feel is an appropriate reduction (5%, 10%, 25%, 50%, etc.)? (b) What services are you willing to sacrifice to achieve it (I am looking for a specific list, please)?
a) As far as I am concern, having our tax as low as possible while achieving what we want is the most desirable outcome but we have to consider the reality. There are lots to be done and I will ensure decision on using tax money will be carefully considered.

b) I am not looking at the term "sacrifice" on service but to emphasis on lots of things that we could have done more efficiently to achieve the desire outcome. I will bring out some example that things could have done more efficiently and drive our tax money further on response below.

2. Do you feel urban services should be distributed throughout the city on a per-population density basis, or as weighted per district by total property taxes paid?
When it comes to distribution of tax monies, we need to have a well balance and some flexible mechanism in place to ensure both basic are met and non-core expenditure, such as social support, recycling programs needs are met to be able to operate efficiently.
I favor a community driven effort. Instead of handing money to certain programs, the community has to work for it. Based on my past experience, I believe such effort will drive the money way further. So in short, with the exceptional of basic infrastructure needs, my view on distribution should not be based on per-population density or total property taxes paid, but having the funds available to anyone that has good idea and willing to work towards making their neighbourhood a better place while using the money efficiently.

3. What balance of spending do you feel the city should have on public transport and on road maintenance and expansion?
There is no straight forward answer to that question. The balance is very much depends on how long will it takes to travel from point a to point b, taking in consideration of promptness, frequency of public transport versus trouble of finding car park, traffic flow and cost of keeping the vehicle.
The key issue here is urban sprawl. Should we not control urban sprawl, this would be black hole for road maintenance and expansion. On the other hand, it would be impossible for public transport system to keep up with constant expansion of new neighbourhood scattered all over the city.
I personally favor public transport on the ground of environment, preserving and protect for our younger generations, but when it is impossible to keep up the public transport to a level of self sustain, costing tax payer a lot compare with alternative, I will go with the later.

4. Development of new residential tracts is governed by land use bylaws. What do you feel is the optimal balance of single-family, and multiple-unit housing?
I have no direct answer due to the nature of the geographical area, maturity of the neighbourhood, the average age of it's population and the infrastructure needs. All of these will affect the balance.

5. Do you personally prefer big-box power centres or commercial streets?

With the cold and long winter we have here, I have no choice but to go with big-box power centres that provides one stop shopping. I do enjoy browsing the commercial streets, especially when it could preserve some unique identity to our city as tourist attraction.

Calvin Lim
23-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Regarding the plebicite issue about the airport. Can you please remind me about the two requirements that were not met and can you tell me why you feel that these requirements were met?

Also in regards to plebicites in general. How often do you feel that the population should take a vote on decisions?

Finally, you brought up the point that there wasn't much for public consultation or involvement regarding the airport issue, as you put it. "Just ask around, how many of us knew about the decision to shut the airport until it was too late to say something? Yes, it was available publicly, but how many people actually read them? And where?" Now this question isn't about the airport but about public involvement. How do you propose to force people to pay attention to notices, public forums, etc... I think the city does a good job informing the public about these notices, but if you feel that the city isn't doing that, how do you propose to change that?

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you and think the city does a great job informing the public about these notices. In fact, regarding the airport, it started almost 20 years ago if I recall correctly.

What I disagree with is, why where there tens of thousands of signatures on petition to keep the airport at the first place. We need to listen.

A simple resolution to that, should we felt so bad about this, why not start a campaign by collecting with larger or close enough signatures on petition, or even with email addresses verifiable in supporting to put an end to this? If we are so confident that many will support closure of airport, let the people have their say.

I foresee costly legal action if we do not get this right.

Again,

~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Heard ~~~~~~~~~~

Visit my web www.calvinforcouncillor.com (http://www.calvinforcouncillor.com), sign guestbook in showing your support.

abaka
23-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you!

mki
07-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Thank you in advance for your time and effort on addressing one more important subject - The Arts:

Please articulate your position on the Arts and how that relates to future support of the Arts, if elected.
Have you read The Art of Living 2008 -2018, as outlined from the Edmonton Arts Council? http://www.edmontonarts.ca/eac_publications/ Do you see this as an important vision for Edmonton and how would you support this vision?
Thank you again.

Calvin Lim
12-10-2010, 10:12 PM
mki,
Personally, I think Edmonton is seriously lacking some artistic characteristic a big city of our size should have. We need to do more, a lot more.

The issue that I am having is not with budget approval, we simply need to motivate more people to present their innovation and creativity. The key to art is encouragement, not taxing people so more money is given. This will not work.

Art is for the general public to appreciate. In the eyes of public likeness and encouragement, art will by itself, flourish.

My major philosophy is creating a lot of community driven program that encourage all walk of live to participate, not some small group of people who knows best how to apply for funding. Introducing red tapes, pouring out money simply wont work as we had seen for the last decade.

Yes, I have read the Art of Living and I agree the importants of a long term vision.

Calvin Lim
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I feel like sharing this little girls question to all

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Grace <[email protected] ([email protected])> wrote:
Hi,
even though I am just a kid we're studying the election in school and I would just like to know,What are your opinions on the city centre airport, and are you for the LRT expansion or against it?

Hello Grace,

Thank you for your concern and I'm glad that you have shown great interest in things that really impact all of us where most adult would not bother. Do you know that less than 30% of people voted on the last city councillor election?

My opinion on airport
1. This city have lots to offer. Having a land as big as the city centre airport would provide great opportunity for further development. We need to progress and move on.
2. My main concern is how the development will lead to. Who will decide what to put in and when, how much, how are we to clean the pollution, who will have the final say on what to build. If we are not careful, this development might lead to nightmare, where budget overrun and we may ended up with a vacant land that nothing is being build upon for many years.
3. Another major concern that I have is the people whom do not want to see the airport removed, will take the entire case to court, putting injunction (which means, nothing could be build until the legal case is completed), this will ends up with all of us tax payer will have to pay extra money for legal defense. Do you know how much a lawyer cost and how long a legal fight in court will last? I can tell you, it will easily cost millions of dollar, and I am seeing this will happen because the group is now in the process of filing the case to our court.

So in conclusion, why rush? Let's hear from both side and put our brains towards a win - win situation, where both side's happy, because the money that used on fighting in court will be better off building our city. There are more to be done like having a nice art centre, more playground and etc.

My Opinion on LRT Expansion
I have visited many countries and cities, over 200 cities in close to 30 counties. LRT or mass transit is the way for our future because it reduce pollution. In fact, I wish we have the money to extend our LRT to the airport like in London, Tokyo, Moscow, Beijing, Hong Kong and more. This will ensure fast and convenient commute for a lot of people. My son would love to send me off to airport and wave as the plane took off. However, before we can achieve these, we have to ensure our LRT system is ready. We need more facilities and security are there to encourage everyone to be able to use them safely and conveniently.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Regards

Calvin

Thomas Hinderks
13-10-2010, 09:49 AM
The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
Executive Director
Alberta Aviation Museum