PDA

View Full Version : YEG--viewing area

grish
29-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Didn't know to rant or to rave. decided to rant. why?

Rave: the place is nice to watch the planes to escape for the hussle and wave the loved one bye as he or she is randomly getting nearly strip-searched :twisted:

Rant: there are probably 7 arm-chairs give-or-take a few. there are no TV's showing flight arrivals and departures. There is no coffee and sandwich stand either. The space is large enough to accomodate. Another rant is, why isn't there a similar viewing area on the other side of the central hall with more comfy couches, internet points, and news stands etc?

IanO
29-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Didn't know to rant or to rave. decided to rant. why?

Rave: the place is nice to watch the planes to escape for the hussle and wave the loved one bye as he or she is randomly getting nearly strip-searched :twisted:

Rant: there are probably 7 arm-chairs give-or-take a few. there are no TV's showing flight arrivals and departures. There is no coffee and sandwich stand either. The space is large enough to accomodate. Another rant is, why isn't there a similar viewing area on the other side of the central hall with more comfy couches, internet points, and news stands etc?

personally i dont mind it....although arrivals and dept would be nice.

Chump
29-01-2007, 07:35 PM
It is a nice place to watch people airside, not great for viewing airplanes etc.

There are arrival / departure TV's there, above the vending machines :wink:

Another (better) viewing area would be great, with everything you mentioned, including a good view of the ramp / runway. I've always felt airports need to do a better job of celebrating the industry that makes their existence possible, instead of only focusing on moving pax and aircraft. What can I say, I'm biased :wink:

grish
29-01-2007, 07:43 PM
It is a nice place to watch people airside, not great for viewing airplanes etc.

There are arrival / departure TV's there, above the vending machines :wink:

Another (better) viewing area would be great, with everything you mentioned, including a good view of the ramp / runway. I've always felt airports need to do a better job of celebrating the industry that makes their existence possible, instead of only focusing on moving pax and aircraft. What can I say, I'm biased :wink:

vending machines?! there are vending machines? I could really use a bag of chips and a bottle of water--i didn't see any vending machines :x

Chump
29-01-2007, 07:53 PM
vending machines?! there are vending machines? I could really use a bag of chips and a bottle of water--i didn't see any vending machines :x

Well, they do have TV's up there. I might be hallucinating re the vending machines. At one point I'm sure they used to be at the top of the escalators on the left (coming up), against the wall. :?

RyanS
29-01-2007, 07:56 PM
There are indeed vending machines up there, as well as arrivals and departure screens. THey are right next to the washrooms / escalators / stairs. Worst case if you need anything else, the Harveys and magazine store are a mere 20 steps away.

I agree that for viewing planes its really quite useless, however it is a nice place to wave goodbye.

CSR
29-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes. I do not want to sit behind glass and watch people waiting for a plane. I can see more at any local mall.

I want to see aircraft. In Europe where spotting is a hobby, nay an obsessive religion, calling what we have an "observation" area would be subject to scorn and anger.

Now, I'm not one of those :twisted: but I do want an observation area that actually overlooks the runways and parking areas.

( And don't even try to tell me it can't be done for "security" reasons! )

RichardS
30-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I too was a bit disappointed at the viewing area for planes. I want to watch the ramp, not the mall! It is a better "kiss and cry" extension for those who want to watch their loved ones get "strip searched"....;)

There are displays for arrivals and departures near the washroom entrance on that top viewing platform. The vending machines were right beside the washroom entrance too, but I haven't been at the terminal for awhile (4 months).

It makes me wax nostalgic for the old viewing areas...as "lovely" as tehy were.

Woolsocks
03-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know of any good viewing locations outside of the terminal area itself?

I moved from Calgary several years ago, and used to frequent the various parking areas the airport there had setup specifically for that purpose (one site even has info boards setup showing the various shapes to help in the identification of planes).

I know there are several places outside of the airport lands themselves where one could park and watch planes come and go, but someplace nearer one of the runways would be great!

microbus
03-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Highway 19 on the north side of the airport, just west
of the Highway 2 overpass... there's even a wide spot
in the road to pull off into...

Chump
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know of any good viewing locations outside of the terminal area itself?

I moved from Calgary several years ago, and used to frequent the various parking areas the airport there had setup specifically for that purpose (one site even has info boards setup showing the various shapes to help in the identification of planes).

I know there are several places outside of the airport lands themselves where one could park and watch planes come and go, but someplace nearer one of the runways would be great!

At the Leduc and District Chamber of Commerce Tourist Information Centre has a small view park with aircraft information. People used to pull into that parking lot all the time to watch aircraft anyways, so they added some info on the aircraft types. Its east of hwy 2 and good for approaches to 30 or departures off of 12 (approaches the best). If the other runway is use then check out hwy 19 as pointed out.