PDA

View Full Version : Critical errors

Sonic Death Monkey
21-01-2007, 08:41 PM
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I encounter this on occasion, it's been ongoing since I joined.

ThomasH
21-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I have noticed this problem for a long time too.

Chump
21-01-2007, 09:53 PM
And here I thought this was another architecture thread....whew......... :wink:

ShermanT
21-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes this problem has been going on for a while. If anyone has any advice to offer as to how to fix this problem (besides scrapping phpBB altogether) we are open to suggestions. The inconsistency of the problem makes things harder to track down.

microbus
21-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Is there an option to 'optimize database'?
Sometimes that fixes annoying problems like that,
but not always.

Innadiated
14-02-2007, 11:31 AM
what type of SQL application are you using for this forum?

MySQL? Postgres?

Some things you can try doing are using persistent connections, increasing the connection limit on your sql daemon, increasing the hardware the sql server is running on, increasing the bandwidth between the sql server and this phpbb application, using the OPTIMIZE command to remove increased overhead from deleting, moving, and indexing appended data.

hope this helps :)

ShermanT
14-02-2007, 11:51 AM
what type of SQL application are you using for this forum?

MySQL? Postgres?

Some things you can try doing are using persistent connections, increasing the connection limit on your sql daemon, increasing the hardware the sql server is running on, increasing the bandwidth between the sql server and this phpbb application, using the OPTIMIZE command to remove increased overhead from deleting, moving, and indexing appended data.

hope this helps :)

We use MySQL.

Persistant connections (from what I read) are generaly not a good idea for phpBB. Connection limits are already pretty high (first thing i tried), and the hardware and connection should be pretty good for what we are doing (they neither CPU nor connection looks like they are being saturated).

I will have to look at creating some more indexes... i hope that will in fact help.

Innadiated
05-03-2007, 03:56 AM
another suggestion (although it may be fixed as i haven't gotten this error recently) would be to up the buffer pool to about 80% of the total ram available to mysql, this will help move queries through the system faster, and can sometimes show a 200-300% speed increase on select statements.

Sonic Death Monkey
04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

^ This is still annoying.

LindseyT
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Is there anything that can be done about the "You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while." message. I understand why it's there (i think) but I've never seen a forum that has such an extended time limit.

ShermanT
06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I am not aware of a simple way to shorten the search interval in phpbb 2. This will likely be solved by moving to new forum software however.

Sonic Death Monkey
06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Now I've been getting this:

PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 025FB5B1

LindseyT
06-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Things seem to be wacky tonight. Pages won't load, access violations...

ShermanT
06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm noticing it too. I'm trying to find the cause.