PDA

View Full Version : McKinney Park development stalled

Sonic Death Monkey
19-05-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/McKinney+Park+limbo/3045602/story.html

My latest conspiracy theory is this: City Hall secretly opposes even minor commercial development in the river valley.

For evidence, let me introduce two nice new buildings in Louise McKinney Park, near the river and just east of the Shaw Conference Centre.
These two buildings are Stage One of a riverfront plaza, where people will gather to eat, drink and play while watching the mighty North Saskatchewan meander past.

Ultimately, four buildings are imagined for the riverfront plaza: 1) A recreation rental shop, with in-line skates, bikes and even canoes for rent; 2) A restaurant, cafe, wine-bar or combination; 3) A facility offering parks programming; and 4) public washrooms.

As I mentioned earlier, city hall actually constructed two of the four. And which buildings did it construct first? Washrooms are in one building. Washrooms are important. They will become even more important when people are actually drawn to the area. The other existing building, the parks programming facility, is currently being used for storage. The civil service hopes to retrofit the building and offer the front half to a food and beverage operator.

When? Seems unlikely for this summer. Mayor Stephen Mandel asked for a report Tuesday on the state of affairs in Louise McKinney Park.

Mandel is not happy. He's not happy with civil servants. He's not happy with civil servants who he believes are foot dragging on the grand plan.

IanO
19-05-2010, 10:34 AM
very frustrating

i use this park a lot during the summer months and cannot get over how this 'millennium' project is now a decade into its development and still underused and under served.

I think that part of the reason for this is that many people still do not know it exists.

Edmcowboy11
19-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Well maybe 2 things that could spark some development is the proposed expansion of the Shaw to the west and the LRT bridge to the east of the park. The river walk is nice but it would be a lot nicer if there were something in those buildings and it would be nice to eventually see some cart vendors on the river walk.

Montrosian
19-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I was at this park yesterday. It was my first time experiencing the Chinese garden and the riverside walkway. This was a great experience. I thought both were nicely done. I could not get the feeling out of my head that so much more can be done with this great space. It seems a little uninspired to me though. One thing that struck me the most is that the trail along the river on the east side of that concrete river walkway should be paved. It looks underwhelming and unfinished to have it go from gravel to concrete. I also did notice a metal temporary pier extending out into the river that was gated off. Is this for a water taxi of sorts? Cause if it is, I think that's a great idea. Especially if these piers we're located in every park along the river.

Sonic Death Monkey
19-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I really wish that the riverside promenade was extended all the way to the foot bridge. Maybe this will be done once the foot bridge is replaced by the LRT bridge.

DTrobotnik
19-05-2010, 12:48 PM
glad i didnt have to login to post my comment on journal's site. i would like to see at least one concentrated area of development right by the river. there is so much there that a well developed idea would be really successful. i went for a walk there a couple days ago and there are lots of places to sit and tan and do anything. i like the idea of a rental shop but would love a coffee shop and a great licensed patio and maybe weekend type restaurant. i think all the downtowners would love a place like this. i know i would.

Chmilz
19-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we can all just assume that every Edmontonian that is aware of this area has a similar vision of what it should be, but will never happen.

abaka
20-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Nah. Keep the space green-only, and keep all the facilities up above, in all that wonderful underused heritage space along Jasper between 95 and 97. Development in the park below will only inhibit efforts to transform the slum above, for the simple reason that there's only so much evelopment d"demand" to go around. Oversupply won't happen.

But the residents of this city like their slums. So if anything will happen it's Mandel et al.'s "vision".

PS. The undeveloped parkland is the city's best and unique feature.

Bray88
20-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Nah. Keep the space green-only, and keep all the facilities up above, in all that wonderful underused heritage space along Jasper between 95 and 97. Development in the park below will only inhibit efforts to transform the slum above, for the simple reason that there's only so much evelopment d"demand" to go around. Oversupply won't happen.

But the residents of this city like their slums. So if anything will happen it's Mandel et al.'s "vision".

nonsense ....develop the river valley can never have too much of a good thing edmonton desperately needs more development

etownboarder
20-05-2010, 05:05 PM

nonsense ....develop the river valley can never have too much of a good thing edmonton desperately needs more development

Not without limits... some rivervalley development in strategic locations is a good thing, but not a free-for-all build whatever/wherever you can strategy. Such an idea is definitely the wrong one for Edmonton's rivervalley.

Edmcowboy11
23-05-2010, 03:00 AM
The river walk should be extended to the pedestrian bridge or to the future LRT bridge. The area that already has the couple buildings should be developed better to add some additional room for some small businesses. A much better link from Jasper Ave to the park is needed.