PDA

View Full Version : Park smoking ban will ban campfires too

KC
30-04-2010, 06:52 AM
We'll, I'll start another thread to discuss this one... for the background read my original post...

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16932

Blueline
30-04-2010, 07:23 AM
The people in the parks with the campfires are generally ok except when they start to burn the garbage that they have created (styro cups plastic etc.)

There also seems to be no prevision for materials to extinguish the fires when they decide to bolt the scene

Komrade
30-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Campfires too? Really? Does this include pits already there?

abaka
30-04-2010, 10:56 AM
The campfire ban is a very good idea.

Turtle
30-04-2010, 11:39 AM
This is what you can a SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Komrade
30-04-2010, 12:52 PM
How do you figure?

abaka
30-04-2010, 01:09 PM
How do you figure?

It boils down to safety. As Blueline wrote above: "There also seems to be no prevision for materials to extinguish the fires when they decide to bolt the scene." That's not the whole of it, but it's (literally) the 'final' clincher.

And if there were materials, they'd be pilfered away.

Chmilz
30-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about a fire ban. None of the articles I read even hinted at it.

JOA
30-04-2010, 04:13 PM
^It's news to me too. KC, where are you getting your information from?

JOA
30-04-2010, 04:15 PM
How do you figure?

It boils down to safety. As Blueline wrote above: "There also seems to be no prevision for materials to extinguish the fires when they decide to bolt the scene." That's not the whole of it, but it's (literally) the 'final' clincher.

And if there were materials, they'd be pilfered away.

Established campsites tend to come with fire pits, though, which pretty much eliminates the safety argument - backyard fire pits were exempt from the recent fire ban, after all.

KC
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM
As I put it in my linked thread which no one responding to it appeared to read (my poor writing style I suppose)...

"If we ban cigarette smoking how can we not ban all fires (picnic, campground, BBQ, etc.)? Then it becomes a question of whether or not this is primarily a health issue or a litter issue.

Smoke from picnic and camp fires is far, far more unhealthy and polluting than the odd puff of smoke drifting past someone outdoors..."

I heard an interview on the radio this morning and the smoking ban proposal is really all about getting rid of cigarettes - not much to do about litter at all. To me it's a case of giving a group (in this case anti-smokers) an inch and them taking a mile.

Potentially something like prohibition in the last century - society allowing extremists to run rampant.

Jimbo
01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I think it goes a step too far. Smokers are already pariahs. We're far too ban happy these days. Lets ban banning.

We should somehow make smoking bad for our health, by putting something in it that would give us a horrible, often fatal disease, like cancer or something. /sarc

JOA
01-05-2010, 10:35 AM
As I put it in my linked thread which no one responding to it appeared to read (my poor writing style I suppose)...

"If we ban cigarette smoking how can we not ban all fires (picnic, campground, BBQ, etc.)? Then it becomes a question of whether or not this is primarily a health issue or a litter issue.

Smoke from picnic and camp fires is far, far more unhealthy and polluting than the odd puff of smoke drifting past someone outdoors..."

I heard an interview on the radio this morning and the smoking ban proposal is really all about getting rid of cigarettes - not much to do about litter at all. To me it's a case of giving a group (in this case anti-smokers) an inch and them taking a mile.

Potentially something like prohibition in the last century - society allowing extremists to run rampant.

I did read your post. Your assumption that I did not is false, just like the assumption that started this thread, apparently.

Anyway, there's a reason it's called a camp fire. We may not need an open flame to cook these days, but that doesn't make camp fires any less ubiquitous. It's not like forest fires or grass fires can be banned either. Your question, "If we ban cigarette smoking how can we not ban all fires?", is ludicrous - our species would have died out had we not been able to control fire!

Besides, you mentioned having asthma in your previous post. Why would you have a problem with less smoking? It's not potentially like prohibition at all - there are indisputable health reasons for the ban, unlike the religious and social reasoning that led to prohibition.