PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop using google maps function on threads

kcantor
16-04-2010, 12:45 PM
can we add a feature/option to disable gmap links? threads with them become quite cumbersome and annoying to participate in...

Medwards
16-04-2010, 12:46 PM
^ I don't get the same symptoms you have described.... (in other threads) ie: opening to the post with the gmap on it...

What browser/OS are you using?

kcantor
16-04-2010, 12:58 PM
^ I don't get the same symptoms you have described.... (in other threads) ie: opening to the post with the gmap on it...

What browser/OS are you using?
internet explorer 8.0.6/xp professional both with all current updates and running on a lenovo w 700 with more memory than i've got...

i get the same thing in the current which places is the worst eyesore in Edmonton ?? as in the earlier ones. don't know if it "drops off" once the last post or quoting post gets bumped to a second page or not but until then (i.e. now) the thread opens and then the links run and the thread drops/scrolls down to the last post or quoting post using the link, not the last post in the thread...

the same thing happens when opening a repy to a post in the thread and again when the reply gets posted...

Medwards
16-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting... I'll have to try this in IE... I use firefox at home and at work on XP or Windows 7, Safari on my iphone, and none of them exhibit this problem...

Sonic Death Monkey
16-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Actually this happens to me too. I use Firefox at home, IE7 at work. It's mildly annoying but not a show-stopper for me. Not as annoying as threads with multiple massive pics which can take a while unless I hit the Esc key for the pics to stop loading.

moahunter
16-04-2010, 02:49 PM
It is a bit annoying when you post a reply and it scrolls to that section. Seems like the activity of it zooming in on the building, moves the screen to that point. I love the gmap feature, but it has a fault in it.

Edmcowboy11
18-04-2010, 02:42 PM
When I first saw someone post the google maps function on a thread it seemed really interesting but as time has gone by I've gotten quite annoyed with that function. Instead can people just post a link to that google map location. Everytime I go to view and post on a thread, instead of going to the end of the thread it goes automatically to the google map posting. If someone wants to post a picture they can either find a picture online or go take a picture themselves instead of being lazy and just posting the google maps location.

jagators63
18-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I do not have a car to go to places where I can take a pic sorry , google map is the only way I can use because for example , can I go down to ellersilie road and 111 st to take a pic of that land where virginia park will be built ?? my answer is no because I don't have time to go down there.

Chmilz
18-04-2010, 03:08 PM
All pictures "hang up" the thread, not just the maps. I agree it's annoying, especially in the architecture threads where it sits on some pics instead of bumping to the newest post.

C2E admins, are you aware of the problem? Can you find a fix?

Chmilz
18-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Oh, and yeah, I'm going to keep using Google Maps as I please. I'm not going to spend my time driving around to take photos when someone already did it for us last year.

MylesC
18-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Street view seemst to be the thing that I've seen stall a thread load - much more than pictures ever do.

moahunter
18-04-2010, 04:31 PM
How about this for a solution - could a users options include whether or not they want to see pictures, youtube, or google map? Don't know how practical that is, but would give people the choice (provided they login).

Sonic Death Monkey
18-04-2010, 05:43 PM
If there's a thread with a large number of big bandwidth-devouring pics, I hit the Esc key to stop the pics from loading. I haven't tried this yet, but can the Esc key stop a Google Map load? If not, is this something the board techies can implement?

kcantor
18-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I do not have a car to go to places where I can take a pic sorry , google map is the only way I can use because for example , can I go down to ellersilie road and 111 st to take a pic of that land where virginia park will be built ?? my answer is no because I don't have time to go down there.

Oh, and yeah, I'm going to keep using Google Maps as I please. I'm not going to spend my time driving around to take photos when someone already did it for us last year.

How about this for a solution - could a users options include whether or not they want to see pictures, youtube, or google map? Don't know how practical that is, but would give people the choice (provided they login).

how about this for a solution - you can use street view all you want. but when you want to post a street view image, please don't post a link...

e-mail yourself the image you want to post from streetview as a jpg file. you can then up-load and post the jpg file just the same as you would any other image.

and for anyone who is not aware of it, all of those street view photos are available direclty from google earth as well as in google maps.

Edmcowboy11
19-04-2010, 12:07 AM
e-mail yourself the image you want to post from streetview as a jpg file. you can then up-load and post the jpg file just the same as you would any other image.

Now this idea I like, as it would still the get the picture on but wouldn't mess things up as much.

Sonic Death Monkey
19-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Meh...too much work! :p

Medwards
19-04-2010, 12:13 AM
If there's a thread with a large number of big bandwidth-devouring pics, I hit the Esc key to stop the pics from loading. I haven't tried this yet, but can the Esc key stop a Google Map load? If not, is this something the board techies can implement?
esc=stop in browser. Not just for images. Press End to go to the bottom of the forum if it fails to go to the bottom.

kcantor
19-04-2010, 12:57 AM

meaning that avoiding a couple of minutes work on your behalf is worth more than everyone's time who visits a thread with a street view link or two or three or... :)

MylesC
19-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Come now, Ken. Putting responsibility on the individual poster to do more than click "Quick reply"? That's crazy ;)

grish
19-04-2010, 05:43 AM

not only too much work, I would have to sign up yet again for a picture hosting site... too much work indeed.

I have no problems on my machine. Perhaps the solution is fixing rather than eliminating, although personal choice turning off would also work.

Medwards
19-04-2010, 08:25 AM

meaning that avoiding a couple of minutes work on your behalf is worth more than everyone's time who visits a thread with a street view link or two or three or... :)

Coming from a guy who can't find the shift key, I'm not surprised by your response here. the google map feature takes a few extra seconds to load. If you're so impatient for it to load, kindly find the keyboard key called "end", pressing it will take you immediately to the end of the forum, if you are too impatient to let the google map feature load. Another helpful keyboard key is the "esc" key, which will stop any loading the page is doing, such as the google map part.

moahunter
19-04-2010, 11:00 AM

not only too much work, I would have to sign up yet again for a picture hosting site... too much work indeed.
Not only that, it isn't that environmental. One of the beauties of gmap is that we don't fill up more memory on another coal powered server, we don't duplicate something that is already on cyberspace.