PDA

View Full Version : decent hotel

janet697
21-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Travelling to Edmonton for a week in April. We don't know the city and don't know which areas to avoid.
Would like to be close to some restaurants but will have a car so not too important.
I have been reading this forum on occasion so am looking forward to checking out some stuff that's been recommended.....

Sonic Death Monkey
21-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Downtown has the high-end hotels - Hotel MacDonald, Chateau Lacombe, Westin, Sutton Place, Coast Edmonton House, Marriott and Delta. That places you within walking distance of several eateries.

If you have a car and you don't want to stay downtown, there's a hotel strip on south-side in the vicinity of Gateway Blvd and Whitemud - the Sawridge, Holiday Inn, Delta and Greenwood.

There's another hotel strip along Stony Plain Road/100 Ave and 178 St in the west-end - their drawing power is West Edmonton Mall, which also houses the Fantasyland Hotel.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

kcantor
21-03-2010, 12:50 PM
You might also want to check out Canterra Suites on Jasper at 110 st. You'll get a full kitchen and there's a Save-On-Foods next door. They have parking for your car but there's lots of stuff including thje legislative grounds to walk to and the LRT is close as well...

Brentk
21-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Check out tripadvisor.com
Just stayed at the Sutton, really worn down, wouldn't stay there again.

Sonic Death Monkey
21-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I forgot to mention there's a couple of boutique hotels on Whyte Ave - Mettera and Varscona. You'd be right in the heart of a lot of shops and restaurants.

Chmilz
21-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a corporate account at the Mettera and set up business partners and customers there when they're in town.

Last summer I had someone in from our Toronto office and I set him up there, and I was picking him up at 7:00 for dinner, only to get there and find him on his 3rd margarita at Julio's while watching the local talent on a hot summer evening.

Montrosian
21-03-2010, 11:53 PM
There's The Matrix on 107st and 100 ave (or 99ave maybe) which is one of the cooler hotels in the city. Plus you'll be 2 blocks away from 5 nightclubs and a number of restraunts if you plan on checking out the nightlife at all

IanO
22-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Matrix hotel
Union Bank Inn
Delta downtown
Meterra

Cal76
22-03-2010, 09:16 PM
For a new visitor, I would recommend Mettera or Vvarscona. Can't beat the Whyte !

IanO
23-03-2010, 08:48 AM
^depends when you come for the 104st market is more pleasurable in the summer than whyte as well as having the leg ground near you and more dining options.

Jasper
26-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I would recommend the union bank inn

sundance
26-03-2010, 03:51 PM
As for areas to avoid, in the day time even the worst aren't that bad, in the night its a bit dodgey north of downtown from about 95th to 101st Streets, 118th Ave around 82nd street can be a big rough too.

IanO
26-03-2010, 04:03 PM
areas not to avoid:

124st from jasper to 108ave
whyte from 99st-109st
jasper from 99st-124st
104st from jasper to 102ave

NielCole
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Travelling to Edmonton for a week in April. We don't know the city and don't know which areas to avoid.
Would like to be close to some restaurants but will have a car so not too important.
I have been reading this forum on occasion so am looking forward to checking out some stuff that's been recommended.....

you can always check out www.tripadvisor.ca (http://www.tripadvisor.ca) they always post rating by people who have stayed recently in any of the suggested hotels in this thread.

It just depends on your budget and transportation requirements in the city.

If your looking for a central hotel the one's listed downtown or on Whyte are easily walkable, or short bus rides,
The west end hotels along Stony Plain Road, or south along Gateway Blvd require cabs or cars, bus service isn't great and both areas tend towards strip malls and big box store, in other words a lot of walking.

All of the previous posts have excellent suggestions in regards to Edmonton's better, unique, or funky hostelries.

Any thoughts towards a B&B? Edmonton has quite a few nice ones scattered around the city.

jagators63
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
best way to check out to know where you are going is google map with street view so you would know where to go to hotel and restaurants

NielCole
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
best way to check out to know where you are going is google map with street view so you would know where to go to hotel and restaurants

In her initial post, she said she was not familiar to the city therefore Google streetview would be a very time-consuming way to check out the areas to stay or visit.

www.edmontontourism.ca (http://www.edmontontourism.ca) would be a far better use of her time, :)

jagators63
02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I know but it does help a lot before she comes here

JOA
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think that would help at all. Google maps might, sure, but I agree with the previous post about Street View being time-consuming.

On a side note - you can make Street View 3D now! It's not perfect, but if you have the red and green glasses kicking around it's kind of cool.

NielCole
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't think that would help at all. Google maps might, sure, but I agree with the previous post about Street View being time-consuming.

On a side note - you can make Street View 3D now! It's not perfect, but if you have the red and green glasses kicking around it's kind of cool.

OMG that sounds scary, imagine seeing a drunk on streetview with a blurred-out face in 3D.........

JOA
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd look up Milla Pub in 3D but I put the glasses away!

NielCole
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd look up Milla Pub in 3D but I put the glasses away!

Sounds like that old SCTV episode, Monster Chiller Horror Theatre in 3D when they pushed and pulled objects forwards and backwards on the TV screen.

jagators63
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
you know there is some cities I have never been to before and if I wanted to go to ottawa , I would use google map with streetview and find the address of the hotel and plus many more places I want to see then it does help find one a lot faster than without one

jagators63
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM

OMG that sounds scary, imagine seeing a drunk on streetview with a blurred-out face in 3D.........

yeah it is because of privacy laws

NielCole
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
you know there is some cities I have never been to before and if I wanted to go to ottawa , I would use google map with streetview and find the address of the hotel and many more places I want to see then it does help find one a lot faster than do without it

While streetview is a good tool, I find it faster to not only go by recommendations of various sites such as tripadvisor, or friends or the local tourist bureau, then you can use streetview afterwards to check out the location.

If your are staying in a mid-upper range hotel they are generally in good areas, if your in a budget hotel they can be "iffy" in regards to areas, hostels can even be worse,

It comes down to you get what you pay for.Some places I have been to in the past couple of years such as Cape Town, and Buenos Airies don't have streetview yet so you have to wing it in some respects. Streetview isn't universal yet.

booster
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
^Your comments would not describe Edmonton. Most of the hotels west of 170th street off of Stony Plain road would be brands that would be considered mid to higher end. Yet if you were from out of province or country and no car, yikes, surrounded by strip malls, 6 to 8 lanes of traffic, and just sterile in terms of pedestrian interaction.
Yet the two Backpackers hostel in Edmonton are located in Old Strathcona and downtown, very good locations. Edmonton seems to be the opposite of what you deem positive! Paying more does not always equate to better but it is always more.

JOA
04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Just because SPR has a glut of mid to higher end "brands", it doesn't mean mid to higher end hotels (which aren't necessarily the same) aren't generally in good areas. Similarly, just because budget hotels can be in "iffy" areas, it doesn't mean they always are.

NielCole
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
^Your comments would not describe Edmonton. Most of the hotels west of 170th street off of Stony Plain road would be brands that would be considered mid to higher end. Yet if you were from out of province or country and no car, yikes, surrounded by strip malls, 6 to 8 lanes of traffic, and just sterile in terms of pedestrian interaction.
Yet the two Backpackers hostel in Edmonton are located in Old Strathcona and downtown, very good locations. Edmonton seems to be the opposite of what you deem positive! Paying more does not always equate to better but it is always more.

Try re-reading the post again.

If you don't have a car, and you are in a suburban hotel out on either SPR or along Gateway, I said that transporation CAN be an issue, Suburban sprawl is suburban sprawl and we tend to do it better than most, If you are reliant on transit to get around it can be troublesome on off-peak hours.

Say, you checked into some of the "budget motels such as the New West,
Aladdin or the Royal Western on 111Ave, they look "iffy to me" and agian you are out in the middle of it.......

I did not mention any hostels by name, there are good hostels in the world and bad hostels in the world.

NielCole
04-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Just because SPR has a glut of mid to higher end "brands", it doesn't mean mid to higher end hotels (which aren't necessarily the same) aren't generally in good areas. Similarly, just because budget hotels can be in "iffy" areas, it doesn't mean they always are.

There are always exceptions to every rule. but if you were to recommend districts to stay in, In and around Edmonton. Would western SPR, or Gateway be YOUR first recommendation? to give a really positive impression of the city?
If international motel-type brands are so great there are now a large cluster of them in Nisku as well towards EIA . Hardly senic I might add with no transit service.

JOA
04-04-2010, 10:19 AM
^No argument from me there.

NielCole
04-04-2010, 10:21 AM
;)
^No argument from me there.

booster
04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Woops , just read your post 14. Note to self. Read all postings before answering. And totally agree on the Aladdin and others in the centre west as sketchy. Have had guests get a "better " deal there and then come back a few days later commenting on safety, cleanliness.

NielCole
04-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Woops , just read your post 14. Note to self. Read all postings before answering. And totally agree on the Aladdin and others in the centre west as sketchy. Have had guests get a "better " deal there and then come back a few days later commenting on safety, cleanliness.

No worries :) I would hate for someone to inadvertantly end up in a less than ideal location thru a poor choice on a website, or such. |It's like the Howard Johnson's on SPR while the inside may be perfectly fine, the nieghbourhood however.... :D

janet697
11-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!
We are staying at the Courtyard Marriot - hopefully, get a room with a view of the river.
The parking is about 25 bucks a day, I think. Is there anywhere close by a little cheaper?

NielCole
11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
close by to the downtown? what do you want to be close to?

NielCole
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Have you tried the Holiday Inn Express downtown at 100 ave and 104th street? it's central.
According to the website they have 75 parking spaces and daily self park is $8.00
Or the Coast Edmonton Plaza on 106th street, It's central as well.

Anybody else have similar suggestions? in a mid-range/budget hotel?
Fire up your :smt024!

janet697
12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Sorry folks, already booked at Courtyard and happy about it...just didn't want to pay 25 bucks for parking if we didn't HAVE to.
No big deal - it is what it is.

IanO
12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
^there is an Impark surface lot beside it and many other lots within 2-3 blocks. If it is over the weekend I would try the Citadel Theater/Library/Westin lot.

Canada place also has a large lot that will be cheaper than that.

I would recommend the following in that area as well:

- a drink at the hotel MacDonald
- coffee at '3 Bananas' at churchill square
- walk down and through Louise Mckinney Park just below the SHAW conference centre
- a burger at 'the hat'
- Enjoy our new Art Gallery 2 blocks north
- pop into City hall adjacent to the art gallery as it is a unique building and you can get some good information on the city.

janet697
12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
thank you for the stuff to do ideas....i love to sit in a local coffee place...not a chain...and observe what the city and its people are all about.
who knew one could be so excited about edmonton in april?

IanO
12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
If you would like to enjoy a nicer dinner while you are here, I would highly recommend the 'Hardware Grill'.

http://www.hardwaregrill.com/

2 blocks from your hotel