PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Strathcona Science Park

cnr67
15-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I recently took a walk across the river from Rundle to The SSP and wondered what if anything will ever be resurrected from this abandoned space. It seems a waste to have several buildings languishing without an apparent purpose. Info anyone??????:confused:

kona
15-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Is the ski hill still operating?

cnr67
15-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Yes very much so and quite successfully as well.

rod in edmonton
15-03-2010, 10:58 PM
If this is the one you mean...
http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/landreferencemanual/docs/provpark/STRATHCO.PDF

it is a Provincial Park
Contact
Alberta Parks Information Line:

780-427-3582;
toll-free 1-866-427-3582

cnr67
15-03-2010, 11:01 PM
If this is the one you mean...
http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/landreferencemanual/docs/provpark/STRATHCO.PDF

it is a Provincial Park
Contact
Alberta Parks Information Line:

780-427-3582;
toll-free 1-866-427-3582

That's where I made the mistake and took it for a park within the city. My bad. Thanks so much for your help!

Chmilz
16-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Really? I didn't think so... last couple years the weather hasn't cooperated at all, going from too warm to keep snow to -30, and back again.

cnr67
16-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Really? I didn't think so... last couple years the weather hasn't cooperated at all, going from too warm to keep snow to -30, and back again.

I saw folks out this past winter on tubes and skis. Perhaps illegally. Certainly appeared to be open for business. I hope so anyway.

workworkwork
16-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Sunridge Ski Operates a great little hill there - the tubing is very popular.

Komrade
16-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Are those buildings abandoned though? They seem to be in good shape, no break ins or nothing.

cnr67
16-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Are those buildings abandoned though? They seem to be in good shape, no break ins or nothing.

The buildings you mention are what remain of a science park to the south of the ski area.It had interactive activities inside each building. It has been closed for many years. I wish a developer or organization would take interest in it.It seems like such a waste of good potential.

RyanS
16-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Somebody did a photo tour of the park not so long ago on here, I was curious and went and checked it out myself, it is like time forgot about this little corner of Edmonton and looked to be extremely sketchy at the best of times.

North Guy66
16-03-2010, 04:24 PM
A co-worker is having her wedding and reception there. Apparently they have competitive rates and offer catering services.

http://www.sunridgeskiarea.com/wedding.aspx

Sonic Death Monkey
16-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Can someone remind me why it's called a "Science Park?" I half-expect to see a planetarium or something there.

Komrade
16-03-2010, 04:41 PM
But its not like those building are falling down are they? I thought they were still rented / used on a part time basis.

RyanS
16-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Can someone remind me why it's called a "Science Park?" I half-expect to see a planetarium or something there.

There used to be an archaelogical site there, a nature/river valley boardwalk (which still mostly exists) and the buildings which were full of native artifacts, stuff about the coal mines in the area etc etc.

cnr67
16-03-2010, 05:26 PM
The buildings you mention are what remain of a science park to the south of the ski area.It had interactive science activities inside each building. It has been closed for many years

deedub35
16-03-2010, 06:07 PM
There were exhibits inside the buildings. I remember one described the procedure of extracting oil from oilsands. They had some oilsands there and you could put your hands in rubber gloves and feel how gooey it was. Another one talked about hydroelectricity, windpower, etc.

JJMorrocco
18-03-2010, 01:42 PM
There is an old thread on this http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3692&highlight=science+park

I do believe Alberta Safety Council owns one (maybe all) the science buildings. There is/was motor cycle training done there in recent years.

I believe the science centers were shutdown after the tornad tore throught teh park and demolished the last standing coal mine chimney. There are still come plaques there describing which mines operated.

cnr67
18-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your link. Just what I was looking for.

JJMorrocco
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
On a recent bike trip across the foor brige from Rundle I noticed on the Science park side a sign stating that it is a Provincial park? Anyone know more information on this? Are they turning it into a campground? It would be a decent use for this park, although I heard it does get a bit 'shady' after dark.

I do think this city needs more camp grounds a lot of tourists pass right on through due to loack of accomondations.

cnr67
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
On a recent bike trip across the foot bridge from Rundle I noticed on the Science park side a sign stating that it is a Provincial park? Anyone know more information on this? Are they turning it into a campground? It would be a decent use for this park, although I heard it does get a bit 'shady' after dark.

I do think this city needs more camp grounds a lot of tourists pass right on through due to lack of accommodations.

This is one of the most disregarded areas in the river valley. Why can this area not be re opened and used for the intended purpose it was built for? A pity really.

JJMorrocco
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I am guessing the City somehow lost control of it to Strathcona county. and since it is not redialy accessible by Sherwood park residents, its use is minimal and therefore the dollars to maintain it are minimal. I am guessing the county now turned it over the Provinvial govt to to look after it.

Here is the park link, it only shows it as a day use area.
http://www.albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=123

Agreed it is a giant waste. Likely also a bit of liability with all the old mineshafts in the vicinity.

Gord Lacey
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Strathcona County was offered the land, but didn't want it because of the contamination.

cnr67
04-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Strathcona County was offered the land, but didn't want it because of the contamination.
Makes sense. There was a large illegal dump for years which has since been cleaned up. Along with the myriad of mines in the area does make it less than desirable to put resources into.:cool:

accountingsucks
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
One of the best views of the city from up there. It would be nice if they figured some use for it, but I imagine the cost of cleanup would be huge. Having high end condos there would be great for the view but I'm sure it would never happen

Medwards
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
The major industries surrounding the science park would prevent any sort of residential from developing at that local

moahunter
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
^yip, I think so.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_18V9WofG_Lc/R7o_ho8WHaI/AAAAAAAAAoE/fu4laVQtp9o/s400/explosion1.jpg

Mike Lush
17-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi all,

I gave some input on the old thread, so I will repost here. The Science Park was part of the Capital City Recreational Park plan back in the 1970's that was put in place by Premier Lougheed. This plan is what created the modern day look of most of the city parks you see now (Rundle, Capilano, Gold Bar Park, etc.). That is why you see pillars of different sizes in each of these parks. The pedestrian bridges were also part of this project.

The Science Park was a former coal mine, gravel pit, city of Edmonton landfill, car crushing business, etc. It is amazing that it became a park at all. It underwent extensive rehabilitation to become quite a beautiful park when it opened. The centre area surrounded by the four 'pods' buildings is actually a sundial. The far end with the wooden walkway surrounded an archeological dig back in 1980. There also used to be a great lookout point on this walkway, but it was burned down by vandals.

The park is still owned by the Province, but there may be some hope for it yet. However, it will probably remain a low level park, activity wise, due to the industrial activity around the site. In addition, Strathcona County has a risk assessment plan regarding heavy industry which keeps a sterile zone around these kinds of plants. That is why there is no housing around the new Shell plants for example. That said, 2012 may bring some changes to this park.

http://www.rivervalley.ab.ca

C_S
09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Last summer I was cycling around in this park and I discovered a paved, but very poorly maintained multi-use trail that runs along the bottom of the ski hill. It's not a trail that can easily be spotted. In fact you have to do some searching for it as it's quite isolated from the rest of the trail system. The trail runs north/south for a couple hundred meters from near the pedestrian bridge to the Yellowhead Trail. (You can also see it as your driving east on the Yellowhead). At the north end it does a giant loop and returns you in the opposite direction down the same trail and at the south end it disappears under a huge mountain of dirt. What is the deal with this trail? Why was it ever built? And where was it supposed to go? I've never understood why money was wasted to pave a trail and paint a yellow line down the middle if it doesn't go anywhere and I'm sure no one ever has really used it. There are also some concrete podiums along the trail that once held information plaques that have long since disappeared. I'm very interested to know the history of this trail.

JJMorrocco
10-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I am guessing the ski hill added that 'mountain' of dirt. If I recall correctly this multi use trail WAS connected via the serivice (shared) road down to the Petro-Canada (Suncor now) river water pump house. I did notice the ski hill had gravel trucks going down the big hill at the north end this summer and heading south along the bottom - this could be what they were doing??

Mike Lush
12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Last summer I was cycling around in this park and I discovered a paved, but very poorly maintained multi-use trail that runs along the bottom of the ski hill. It's not a trail that can easily be spotted. In fact you have to do some searching for it as it's quite isolated from the rest of the trail system. The trail runs north/south for a couple hundred meters from near the pedestrian bridge to the Yellowhead Trail. (You can also see it as your driving east on the Yellowhead). At the north end it does a giant loop and returns you in the opposite direction down the same trail and at the south end it disappears under a huge mountain of dirt. What is the deal with this trail? Why was it ever built? And where was it supposed to go? I've never understood why money was wasted to pave a trail and paint a yellow line down the middle if it doesn't go anywhere and I'm sure no one ever has really used it. There are also some concrete podiums along the trail that once held information plaques that have long since disappeared. I'm very interested to know the history of this trail.

The dirt pile would be from Ski Hill activities which do no favors to trail maintenance. As for the trail itself, the loop section is basically the northern boundaries of the Science Park. The entire bottom section of the ski hill was home to an extensive gravel mining operation and was the home of four of the twelve identified coal mines in the Science Park before that. The 'loop' at the end is actually the site of the Fulton Mine which operated in 1910.

cnr67
12-12-2011, 11:18 PM

The dirt pile would be from Ski Hill activities which do no favors to trail maintenance. As for the trail itself, the loop section is basically the northern boundaries of the Science Park. The entire bottom section of the ski hill was home to an extensive gravel mining operation and was the home of four of the twelve identified coal mines in the Science Park before that. The 'loop' at the end is actually the site of the Fulton Mine which operated in 1910.

You sound as though your knowledge of this area is extensive. Have you ever looked up the Old Beverly historical society?

JJMorrocco
03-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Went for a bike ride up to the science park last night (damn cold) and I see that they are now in the process of removing at least one of the four pod buidlings. These things look amazingly well built , no wonder they survived the tornado. Its sad to see them go. Not sure why they are being torn down, likely just a liability they province no longer wants on their hands?

It appears that the safety council no longer operates at this location any more. In general the park is in terrible condition. I hope they are doing something good with it, and restore it to its original "Lougheed" condition. I know not very likely.

I will try and get soem pictures of hte demo on my next trip up the big hill.

sundance
03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Because we have the Space Sciences Center (or whatever its sponsored name of the week is) there is little need in the Edmonton area for a 2nd science center. It is time for it to be given a different direction, perhaps picnic grounds, playground, perhaps sports fields. Some decent vandal resistant washrooms that are open during park hours would be nice too.

bulliver
04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
The 'science' programming in the park certainly seems defunct, but I do see plenty of people in there walking/jogging/and biking. There is also a radio-controlled aircraft enclosure there.

Medwards
04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Love the science park. Lots of good xc trails around there, and even a bit of downhill. There's also quite the built up bike single track trails between the science park and goldbar park behind the esoo refinery. Who knew? I didn't till last year. Amazed at what there is back there.

sundance
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
It does need work though, most of the wood in the steps going down to the bridge are rotting, rather than replacing them, they remove them. They had a sign and bench near the parking lot, once again removed. There was a nice viewpoint overlooking the river, vandals wanted to burn it over and over again, they removed the remains, they could have put up a concrete bench in the same spot ... but no.

JJMorrocco
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Love the science park. Lots of good xc trails around there, and even a bit of downhill. There's also quite the built up bike single track trails between the science park and goldbar park behind the esoo refinery. Who knew? I didn't till last year. Amazed at what there is back there.

Can you be a bit more specific on the location of these trails "behind ESSO" I have rode the area for many years and have not seen any trail connecting Goldbar to science park on the southside of the river. The north side of Esso is a pretty steep embankment, unless you just ride the top along the fence line along the top? "this could be an interesting weekend!"

Peraps you are referring to the goldbar tracks that are actually winter x-country ski trails, in the goldstick ravine??

Medwards
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
These are single track trails, not gravel or multi-use trails. A lot of the stuff is newer so it may be recently built up. It is definitely in the area I'm describing, as you have to ride along that fence to get into it. You basically head east from the goldbar foot bridge (crossing at a man-made ladder bridge that crosses goldbar creek?), and eventually wind up at river level under the science park (or vice versa). I'd be willing to show you if you want to head out on a ride... when it warms up a bit.

Not referring to the trails in goldbar park.

edmonton daily photo
04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Because we have the Space Sciences Center (or whatever its sponsored name of the week is) there is little need in the Edmonton area for a 2nd science center. It is time for it to be given a different direction, perhaps picnic grounds, playground, perhaps sports fields. Some decent vandal resistant washrooms that are open during park hours would be nice too.

Its been called the Telus world of Science for nearly a decade...

accountingsucks
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
These are single track trails, not gravel or multi-use trails. A lot of the stuff is newer so it may be recently built up. It is definitely in the area I'm describing, as you have to ride along that fence to get into it. You basically head east from the goldbar foot bridge (crossing at a man-made ladder bridge that crosses goldbar creek?), and eventually wind up at river level under the science park (or vice versa). I'd be willing to show you if you want to head out on a ride... when it warms up a bit.

Not referring to the trails in goldbar park.

I'm also curious about this. Anyway you could screenshot a Google map of the area?

Medwards
04-10-2012, 08:38 PM
notes: rough recall of the single track. Ride at your own risk - there is some more challenging trails back here.

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4493/cambodiai.jpg
This area is commonly referred to as cambodia by riders who frequent it
I think its easiest to ride from the science park - go under the foot bridge (to the science park from rundle) and follow the trail. I can be pretty sketchy and muddy if it has rained recently. Alternatively, you can take the trail in from gold bar but you would be going against the flow of the trail. The area in the red box is the fun areas :)
You can also enter from up top of the science park, but I haven't explored this area too much yet

Hope the 2 minute map helps...

sundance
05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Its been called the Telus world of Science for nearly a decade...
1983 Edmonton Space Science Center
(sometime after)-2001 Edmonton Space and Science Center
2001-2005 Odyssium
2005-Telus World of Science

My guess is it's name will change yet again upon the next expansion.
http://www.telusworldofscienceedmonton.com/about-us/vision-2020

JJMorrocco
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Medwards, I might try and check it out on foot this weekend. I am not the rider I was in my younger years. I have crossed the ladder bridge in Goldbar on foot but I headed up the creek not down towards the river. I have been told there was an old farmhouse that was bulldozed over the bank many many years ago to make room for the refinery.

Yes I believe you are correct that it is names Goldbar creek, (not Goldstick as I called it). there is a second creek that joins up with Goldbar, it is un-named.

Spill
19-03-2015, 04:39 PM
This Journal article (http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Remaining+science+pavilions+torn+down+Strathcona/10903894/story.html) sheds a little light on the various historic points of this somewhat mysterious park. Apparently there is a plan in the works, though seemingly just as mysterious in its details.

Nearly 30 years after the science facilities were shut down at the Strathcona Science Park in Edmontonís east end, two of the dilapidated buildings that housed displays as well as a vandalized picnic shelter have been torn down.
It was built in 1978 on the site of a former garbage dump and industrial area, which years later leaked toxic groundwater.
Alberta Parks is planning to invest in reviving the rundown park. The province is looking at possibly adding a new picnic area, a playground and improving the trails.