PDA

View Full Version : Street Photographers

24karat
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Do you remember when there were street photographers in Edmonton? They'd take a candid photo of you walking down the street or window shopping, then they'd hand you a numbered card. A couple of days later, you'd drop by their shop to look at the proof and if you liked it you'd order prints.

A couple of my treasured photos are of my dad walking down Jasper Avenue in the 30s or 40s, and another of my mother and me when I was a kid looking for a particular building.

Do any of you have street photos in your family albums?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/TVNewsman/STREET.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/TVNewsman/STREET2.jpg

DebraW
05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Do you remember when there were street photographers in Edmonton? They'd take a candid photo of you walking down the street or window shopping, then they'd hand you a numbered card. A couple of days later, you'd drop by their shop to look at the proof and if you liked it you'd order prints.

A couple of my treasured photos are of my dad walking down Jasper Avenue in the 30s or 40s, and another of my mother and me when I was a kid looking for a particular building.

Do any of you have street photos in your family albums?

I do not remember these photographers myself (I am not quite that old!) but my father is a born and bred Edmontonian so yes there are pictures of him and my uncles in our family albums. The shots all make the people look like Dean Sinatra, Elvis Presley clones with the shiny suits, slicked back hair and the obligatory cigarette in their mouths. Cool mementos and it is really neat to look back and try to place the location.

Thanks for the jogging of my memory; I have to go dig those albums outů

Glenco
05-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I do not remember these photographers myself (I am not quite that old!) but my father is a born and bred Edmontonian so yes there are pictures of him and my uncles in our family albums.

Shouldn't that be bred and born? :wink:

DebraW
05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I do not remember these photographers myself (I am not quite that old!) but my father is a born and bred Edmontonian so yes there are pictures of him and my uncles in our family albums.

Shouldn't that be bred and born? :wink:

Good one! 8) :wink:

nzuk
08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
YEA, My mom has one of her and my grandmother probably taken in the 70's on whyte ave, its a great vintage photo. Ill try and get a copy and post it...