PDA

View Full Version : Layton still in denial phase

moahunter
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Poor guy, I have always liked him (despite his politics being very different from mine). I hope he gets well soon, and hope he consideres taking a break for the sake of his health and his family:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/layton-refuses-to-be-slowed-by-cancer-diagnosis/article1458267/

Jack Layton doesn't intend to let a bout of prostate cancer slow him down.

GizmoForMayor
05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
All the best to Jack and his family. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

JOA
05-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Poor guy, I have always liked him (despite his politics being very different from mine). I hope he gets well soon, and hope he consideres taking a break for the sake of his health and his family:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/layton-refuses-to-be-slowed-by-cancer-diagnosis/article1458267/

Jack Layton doesn't intend to let a bout of prostate cancer slow him down.

Let's all give him a break. You have no idea what his situation is like, or what his plans will be, beyond what he's chosen to reveal at this point. Assuming that he's in denial or that he hasn't considered taking a break is not helpful.

The_Cat
05-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I wish Jack Layton all the best as he fights prostate cancer.

McBoo
06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I know someone very close, who diagnosed early with prostate cancer has survived now ten plus years and shows no sign of slowing down. Hate his politics but I wish Jack Layton no less.

This is a cancer that can be controlled.

Sonic Death Monkey
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Classy responses from the other political leaders. It's good to see that Harper and Layton can be good friends outside of the nasty business of politics.

Transplanted_Edm
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I disagree with his politics, but wish Layton a speedy recovery. I commend him for using his public role to raise awareness of this serious.

moahunter
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Assuming that he's in denial or that he hasn't considered taking a break is not helpful.
I think it is quite normal, especially for Type A personality types (i.e. all politicians), to be very bulish and assume it won't impact them much. This is the denial phase on the five step process:

Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Maybe that's too simplistic? There are different theories, and they may not apply if he isn't impacted significantly. Time will tell, I hope he gets better soon.

whynow99
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Perhaps he wants to keep working to use as a distraction from this health issue? If u have ever been laid up in a hospital bed after being banged up in a vehicle accident or industrial accident kind of thing, it does not take long to be wanting just get back to functioning close to normal again. So perhaps with Jack he just wants to keep going along with his life as close to normal. He will probably have to cut back on the hours he usually works, but still keep active.

All the best to Jack and hope for a recovery like his father.

JOA
07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Assuming that he's in denial or that he hasn't considered taking a break is not helpful.
I think it is quite normal, especially for Type A personality types (i.e. all politicians), to be very bulish and assume it won't impact them much. This is the denial phase on the five step process:

Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Maybe that's too simplistic? There are different theories, and they may not apply if he isn't impacted significantly. Time will tell, I hope he gets better soon.

I didn't say it was abnormal, nor that it was necessarily wrong, but that you're making assumptions based on an incomplete understanding of his circumstances. Second guessing him and the medical professionals treating him isn't complementary to hoping for a speedy recovery (which I would hope everyone wants).