PDA

View Full Version : Empty lot just behind Urban Lounge

sky high
29-12-2006, 05:28 PM
What is the deal with the dirt patch on Whyte Ave just behind Urban Lounge? It has been sitting empty for as long as I can remember. Any plans for developement?

Medwards
29-12-2006, 08:38 PM
What is the deal with the dirt patch on Whyte Ave just behind Urban Lounge? It has been sitting empty for as long as I can remember. Any plans for developement?
I believe you are referring to the former Esso gas station site, sitting abandoned for environmental reasons, and lack of interest to do anything with the site from Imperial Oil, which, unfortunately, is the case in many prominent areas across Canada, at former Esso stations that had gas tank leaks and other gas station environmental problems.

afzal
29-12-2006, 10:32 PM
I went to high school at Old Scona right past the chapters on whyte and I remember them saying some time around when I graduated that they are turning the area into a green space (park) as soon as the decontamination issue is resolved (which it almost is I think)

SAL
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
The Imperial Oil contaminated site is on the slow road to rehabilitation. There are vents throughout the property and on the roadways. Like any other old gas station site, the fuel has leaked into the utility corridor and onto adjoining properties. It will be at least another five years before there is any development on the site. At the request of the business community, Imperial Oil has changed the fencing and added sod and trees to the perimeter - not perfect, but better.

At one time, the City of Edmonton was considering the site as a temporary park but decided that there were too many issues. It is a valuable piece of property and I expect that Imperial Oil will sell it for development as soon as it is cleaned up.

ThomasH
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
They should build a patio on the property to be used as an outdoor marketplace.

WMelhem
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
That lot will be developed ASAP. It is too valuable to sit there once the contamination is taken care of. I would suspect something along the line of the old Uncle Alberts site would take place here with the patio, coffee shop, restaurant etc.

Sonic Death Monkey
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
That lot will be developed ASAP. It is too valuable to sit there once the contamination is taken care of. I would suspect something along the line of the old Uncle Alberts site would take place here with the patio, coffee shop, restaurant etc.
The way this city develops, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a Money Mart or a Rotten Ronnies.

ChrisD
05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
The way this city develops, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a Money Mart or a Rotten Ronnies.
Ah no, rates would be too expensive for Money Mart, but I could see a McDonalds opening up there. Like it or not, you see McDonalds in locations that have some of the highest lease rates in the world ~ New York, London, et al.

onishenko
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
And they should be welcome to as long as:
1) They comply with archtectural standards (NO surface parking)
2) The local citizens agree (to some extent... no large demonstrations preventing such is what I mean)
3) Integration for more then just McD's

SAL
09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
The area is a DC1 zoning- controlled uses and historic design standards, including materials used. A building has to cover the space from property line to property line with no set backs and the facade has to change every 10 metres. Parking will be underground or in the laneway. The allowed height is 4 stories or 6 stories for a hotel. There are several lots, approximately 1/3 of a block so this would be one giant McDonald's. It will probably be retail on the main level and office or some such use on the other storeys.

Chump
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
The area is a DC1 zoning- controlled uses and historic design standards, including materials used. A building has to cover the space from property line to property line with no set backs and the facade has to change every 10 metres. Parking will be underground or in the laneway. The allowed height is 4 stories or 6 stories for a hotel.

Interesting. I wonder what that chunk of land is worth.

Duckie
06-10-2007, 06:26 PM
It's a sexy piece of real estate, whatever development gets pitched for it ought to blow one's mind.

Can anyone explain in layman terms what needs to be done to decontaminate this type of contamination? Back in Ontario, the province substantially subsidized brownfield redevelopments. A community group I was involved with had converted an old rail line into a park leading to a sculpture garden. Any similar programs in Alberta?

IanO
07-10-2007, 11:34 PM
It's a sexy piece of real estate, whatever development gets pitched for it ought to blow one's mind.

Can anyone explain in layman terms what needs to be done to decontaminate this type of contamination? Back in Ontario, the province substantially subsidized brownfield redevelopments. A community group I was involved with had converted an old rail line into a park leading to a sculpture garden. Any similar programs in Alberta?

Edmonton had a trial "brownfield" site subsidization plan which happened around 2005...but i do not believe it was implemented any more than that trial.

IanO
07-10-2007, 11:40 PM
The area is a DC1 zoning- controlled uses and historic design standards, including materials used. A building has to cover the space from property line to property line with no set backs and the facade has to change every 10 metres. Parking will be underground or in the laneway. The allowed height is 4 stories or 6 stories for a hotel.

Interesting. I wonder what that chunk of land is worth.

id guess that site is 150' x 100' ish...so 15,000 sqft or so

given its location and carte blanche i would probably value it around (once enviro is dealt with) @ 2.5-3.5 million or $166sqft-$233/sqft

considering lease rates are $40-50sqft for prime whyte space...this is very possible and very viable for redevelopment.