PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Nightclubs...A new low???

nzuk
18-12-2006, 11:22 AM
So I was at a Nightclub this weekend celebrating a friends arrival from overseas. The club in question was "The Union" (I know I know, was their idea). So we are standing at the bar waiting to be served when a young lady comes in between us and starts trying to grind with us, dance, give us the eye etc. Well my single friend is all over that and starts dancing along, etc. Well a couple minutes go by when all of a sudden four expensive lookin shots arrive (glasses of red bull with shots you drop in) and the bartender AND the girl look at us TO PAY FOR THEM!! Well my friens is having none of this and says they are not ours. The girl gives us a sad look and asks "youre not gonna buy me a drink?" The bartender looks at us and says "you know who she is? Shes the #1 *whatever he said* of the bar". Turns out thats her job...to get guys to buy drinks. Is this a new low in our bars?? I dont frequent the clubs often enough to know, but thats pretty low and makes me change my mind about goin to these bars. I think nightclubs have to change their attitudes along with the bar staff. On another occasion at "The Standard" (Now The Ranch, thank god) A bouncer would not let me into the bar to get my coat after I peeked outside for my friends. Needless to say I lost a coat that night. He let a girl in tho, so I guess thats OK? I hate the negativity of these places and think they make our city look bad. Nightlife is a big part of any city/town and these attitudes have to change. I think if the agression in the bouncers gets lowered, there would be far less problems at these bars, thus less violence after they close. A great example was the old nightclub "Lush" (now stalite room). Was a great spot that I frequented very regulairly with very friendly bouncers who were no larger than the average guy, (and some cases a lot smaller) and there I have never witnessed a fight. Not even once. Guess what Im looking for is for clubs to realize agression is not the answer and that force feeding booze to patrons does not help the situation.

Titanium48
18-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Is there a "bar review" site anywhere? I'm thinking of a a user review site where people could let others know what kind of atmosphere they will find in establishment X. It would make it easier for newcomers and people who don't go out much to steer clear of places with a**hole bouncers, hired "buy me a drink" girls or those that will ask your buddy for 5 pieces of ID because he's asian.

IanO
18-12-2006, 02:15 PM
clubs are clubs....dont think that kinda thing is solely Edmonton....

glasshead
18-12-2006, 02:23 PM
clubs are clubs....dont think that kinda thing is solely Edmonton....

Yup, you're right...sounds like a typical night club to me

RichardS
18-12-2006, 03:34 PM
It is....if you don't think this happens elsewhere, you;re sadly mistaken. This has been gooing on for decades.

nzuk
18-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I understand that its been going on for a while, just wish there was a way to change the attitude of these places. A webpage about nightspots in Edmonton is a good start, but there would be a lot of negative feedback on a lot of places and would probably not help the scene in Edmonton. Negative feedback or not people will still go. Friendly barstaff with positive attitudes could go a long way. Maybe then bars wouldnt have to change their identity every couple of months to get rid of their tarnished image.

ChrisD
18-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I understand that its been going on for a while, just wish there was a way to change the attitude of these places. A webpage about nightspots in Edmonton is a good start, but there would be a lot of negative feedback on a lot of places and would probably not help the scene in Edmonton. Negative feedback or not people will still go. Friendly barstaff with positive attitudes could go a long way. Maybe then bars wouldnt have to change their identity every couple of months to get rid of their tarnished image.
Or maybe you should just try a new bar. It all depends on where you go and what night. E.g - The Bank is thee best on Wednesday night versus Friday. Likewise with Halo, best on Sat nights.

Sonic Death Monkey
18-12-2006, 07:20 PM
The Union, eh? I haven't been there since it was the Thunderdome!

If you want to talk about bars and nightclubs, I found an old thread of mine asking about the best places to go:
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246&

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with posting reviews on this board unless the admins say otherwise.

As for me, I often hit the places downtown: Ceilis, the Bank, Druid, Gas Pump, Overtime, Hudsons. Most of these places draw a friendly and fun mixture of ages and backgrounds (from students to the well-heeled) and I rarely see fights occur at these places. Very few problems with staff as well.

nzuk
18-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Ha...the Thunderdome...yea, I think it was inthunderdome, inferno, some other one, tonic, and now union. I live downtown now and I know it attracts an older, more mature crowd than say, Whyte. Sometims I have no choice tho, if its a friends b-day, they usually go where they want. Now that we're all a bit older we tend to stay more downtown. Its just the few times you get pulled into these "clubs" it sucks. Our downtown is in a need of a purpose built nightclub, classy like The Whiskey in Calgary...anyone been? Its like dance club on one side, pub on the other. Itd be cool to have one in Edmonton...maybe next to BP's on Jasper?

IanO
19-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Ha...the Thunderdome...yea, I think it was inthunderdome, inferno, some other one, tonic, and now union. I live downtown now and I know it attracts an older, more mature crowd than say, Whyte. Sometims I have no choice tho, if its a friends b-day, they usually go where they want. Now that we're all a bit older we tend to stay more downtown. Its just the few times you get pulled into these "clubs" it sucks. Our downtown is in a need of a purpose built nightclub, classy like The Whiskey in Calgary...anyone been? Its like dance club on one side, pub on the other. Itd be cool to have one in Edmonton...maybe next to BP's on Jasper?

We have one, it is called the "BANK"....lounge downstairs, club up.

RichardS
19-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Ha...the Thunderdome...yea, I think it was inthunderdome, inferno, some other one, tonic, and now union.

....sooooooooooooooo...I am aging myself if I said I was there for Goose Loonies' opening???

Sonic Death Monkey
19-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I remember Goose Loonies too.

ShermanT
20-12-2006, 04:57 PM
The Union, eh? I haven't been there since it was the Thunderdome!

If you want to talk about bars and nightclubs, I found an old thread of mine asking about the best places to go:
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246&

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with posting reviews on this board unless the admins say otherwise.

As for me, I often hit the places downtown: Ceilis, the Bank, Druid, Gas Pump, Overtime, Hudsons. Most of these places draw a friendly and fun mixture of ages and backgrounds (from students to the well-heeled) and I rarely see fights occur at these places. Very few problems with staff as well.

I too encourage more use of that thread to review clubs and general nightlife type places. We do have a pretty large restaurant review thread, and I do think that it is just as important to get nightclubs reviewed as well.

Hopefully someone can resurrect that thread with new information? I know I'd want to know about clubs that had practices such as the ones you are ranting about nzuk.