PDA

View Full Version : Kids light up at first digital playground in Canada

etownboarder
26-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Kids light up at first digital playground in Canada
Father Jan Community School enters new age
BY SARAH O'DONNELL, EDMONTON JOURNALAUGUST 26, 2009 6:45 AM

Hudson Shykowski quickly became the go-to kid at Father Jan Community School's new playground on Tuesday, explaining to children and adults alike how to work the LED digital features that make the site a Canadian first.

Standing on the wobbly skateboard-like platform that powers the control station, the nine-year-old explained how rocking side to side allows the user to launch one of four games on the LED lights in the climbing equipment--games several kids can play.

"Hit the green ones," Hudson said as Grade 4 student Conner Friesen punched buttons on the light hubs, which change to orange, blue, purple, red or green depending on the game.

"Now hit that yellow one," Hudson told two girls perched near one of the buttons more than two metres off the ground, as he watched the timer count down the seconds.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/Kids+light+first+digital+playground+Canada/1930876/story.html

RTA
26-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey, that's my old elementary school. Back when I went there, they had the largest tire playground you could imagine, including what could only be described as a "tire castle." Nice to see they are still on the forefront of "coolest playground ever."

Incidentally, Maurice (the principal) was also one of my high school teachers; great guy, I can't imagine this school being run by anyone better.

Chmilz
26-08-2009, 10:35 AM
At first I thought "pfft, how dumb" but then I watched the video and I was immediately jealous that I didn't have that as a kid. Good way to keep kids active and competitive. If I see one pop up at one of the schools near me in the future, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Would be great to see this playground become the "in place" for area kids to meet up and play, instead of in front of the tv.

RRH
26-08-2009, 09:36 PM
at least now they'll find it in the snow.....