PDA

View Full Version : Will you borrow annual national park pass?

clazyguy
27-07-2009, 02:57 PM
For sure the pass is non-transferable. But if you know a colleague next to you has a pass and he's not using it for the next weekends, will you borrow it?

Chmilz
27-07-2009, 03:02 PM
My friend gets one every year since he's a scout leader and he lends it to me all the time, mostly in the winter when I go skiing since they're not out there camping.

raz0469
27-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I didn't realize they weren't transferable. I trade em back and forth with friends for camping weekends depending on who's going/driving all the time.

nobleea
27-07-2009, 09:36 PM
we have one now, but would borrow someone else's if available.

Escondido
28-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I think that the "non-transferable" is questionable. If I buy the pass, put it in my van, and my wife comes with me, she can enter the park under my pass. What if I leave it in my van, and my wife goes without me? Is she supposed to pay just because I didn't go too? What about my children? Or my brother? etc. These people are all covered if they go with me, so why shouldn't they be just because I might not go with them. Let's say we're all planning a camping trip, we all enter the park, and I bike out of the park on a trip. Should everyone who remains in the park go to the park office and buy a new pass? I just think the non-transferable is not so well defined. A legalistic view is ridiculous IMO.

RyanS
28-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I think that the "non-transferable" is questionable. If I buy the pass, put it in my van, and my wife comes with me, she can enter the park under my pass. What if I leave it in my van, and my wife goes without me? Is she supposed to pay just because I didn't go too? What about my children? Or my brother? etc. These people are all covered if they go with me, so why shouldn't they be just because I might not go with them. Let's say we're all planning a camping trip, we all enter the park, and I bike out of the park on a trip. Should everyone who remains in the park go to the park office and buy a new pass? I just think the non-transferable is not so well defined. A legalistic view is ridiculous IMO.

Well technically if you went to the parks with your family you would have bought a family pass, which covers everyone in your vehicle / family.

The passes do say on the back that they are non-transferable, but really there is no way for them to tell whether it was you or someone else that bought the pass.

Gord Lacey
29-07-2009, 11:20 AM
And for those of you who need a pass, I believe AMA still sells them at a slight discount.

Gord

NorthernBillsFan
30-07-2009, 08:47 AM
We have one at work that many people use all the time. It's first come first serve. If you want the pass for a particular weekend, you sign for it and hope you are the first one.

I didn't know they were non-transferable.

sundance
05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
US annual passes have a spot for two signatures which they do verify, a park ranger said sign your name for your family and when someone else not in my family wants to borrow it get them to sign their name.

edmowl
05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I buy an annual pass each year. Some years I only visit one time, some years more frequently.

For me, though, it's not about the price and economic value, it's about making a contribution to one of the world's most important resources.

If there's one thing Canada does do well it's National Parks

Replacement
06-08-2009, 01:31 AM
I buy an annual pass each year. Some years I only visit one time, some years more frequently.

For me, though, it's not about the price and economic value, it's about making a contribution to one of the world's most important resources.

If there's one thing Canada does do well it's National Parks

Seconded.

I buy an annual pass each year and even if I'm just passing through or staying briefly.

I consider it a contribution to the places I value beyond any other.

A small price to pay to contribute to the preserving and stewarding of these natural wonders.

MagicMonkey
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Just remember that when you buy your pass to buy it from the park you most want to support as a portion of the fee returns to the park of purchase.

edmowl
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I always buy at the gate

Have to say I'm disappointed to hear that people share passes.