PDA

View Full Version : Another quibble about Hall D

Sonic Death Monkey
18-11-2006, 04:29 PM
The quibble being, I had a hard time just getting into the damn place today!

I went the Shaw today to attend the Edmonton Open House. Of course, there is no front entrance for Hall D except for emergency exits, even though it looks like a separate building. I wandered down the outdoor steps and found an entrance, only to find the doors locked. So I went inside the old conference centre and proceeded to ride the escalators up and down, but still couldn't find a way to get to Hall D. The poor signage was misleading because I kept thinking I had to keep going down or up. Finally, I gave up and had to get one of the conference centre workers to guide me there.

If there are any further improvements to Hall D, give some thought for us dense humans to actually get into it, please. Especially when it looks like an entirely separate building although it's not.

Caesar555
18-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Agreed. Same thing happened to me, I felt like a real ***** walking up and down stairs outside looking for the bloody entrance. Really confusing. Luckily they had people directing traffic inside, but they could definitely use some signage outside.

The new sculptures are interesting, but a little baffling insofar as why they were chosen. Perhaps some plaques describing what they represent would be helpful.

Hall D is quite the place inside, that mural is going to be a nice touch to the foyer, and the views are outstanding!

DanC
18-11-2006, 06:58 PM
This is something I never noticed...maybe its because I knew where Hall D was in advance.
I have to say that Hall D is very nice inside, with a WORLDCLASS view!

Chump
18-11-2006, 10:05 PM
This is something I never noticed...maybe its because I knew where Hall D was in advance.
I have to say that Hall D is very nice inside, with a WORLDCLASS view!

I agree signage could be better. I also knew from previous visits where the entrance was, however.

To be honest, I thought it would look bigger than it did from the inside. That was my first impression walking in. Very nice though, spectacular views.

Do they have some sort of shading system for the glass (upper part at least? - notwithstanding the exterior shading) That low sun in the winter is a bugger, if you're facing south talking to someone you gotta wear shades 8)

ShermanT
19-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Yea... the first time I went there I too was confused as to where to look for the entrance to the hall. Bigger/better signs would help.

Yes, I do believe Hall D has shades that they can draw closed if need be.

RichardS
19-11-2006, 11:38 AM
They did close them in the afternoon...

My only complaint on the inside is that there seems to be no dividers to seperate the room after keynote events...

uberurban
19-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Ha... I did the same thing... as well as 2 other people who came down the escalator just in front of me. We all walked outside the old part of Shaw then found the doors locked to Hall D. Came back inside and asked the attendants for directions.

Once again... it comes down to poor design and bad integration with the existing structure. Blame Covert Infamy? Nah.. lets let them do it over and over and over again :roll:

MylesC
19-11-2006, 04:51 PM
It's not that difficult to get to, really, but I knew exactly what hall was being replaced and how to get there.

There could be better signage, but I don't see the problem in not having street access to it. For anything in the convention centre, you use the main entry.

Sonic Death Monkey
19-11-2006, 05:52 PM
That's fine for you, if you know where to go.

If us locals had trouble getting into Hall D, imagine the negative impression this leaves with out-of-town visitors, especially those who are here to attend a much-sought-after international convention?

Imagine presenters and attendees wandering up and down and around Hall D, trying to get in? "Hey Giuliani, I thought this was a separate building! How do we get in here? You're already 10 minutes late for your presentation!" Then at the end, the organizers will say, "Dammit, Kofi Annan, let's not hold any more summits in this backward-*** town anymore, they can't even build a proper convention centre with entrances. Let's book it in Calgary for the next 10 years."

Chump
19-11-2006, 06:56 PM
That's fine for you, if you know where to go.

If us locals had trouble getting into Hall D, imagine the negative impression this leaves with out-of-town visitors, especially those who are here to attend a much-sought-after international convention?

Imagine presenters and attendees wandering up and down and around Hall D, trying to get in? "Hey Giuliani, I thought this was a separate building! How do we get in here? You're already 10 minutes late for your presentation!" Then at the end, the organizers will say, "Dammit, Kofi Annan, let's not hold any more summits in this backward-*** town anymore, they can't even build a proper convention centre with entrances. Let's book it in Calgary for the next 10 years."

Oh fer Pete's sakes... :wink:

While I do agree signage could have been better - I wouldn't have thought to directly enter a Convention Centre Hall from outside the Hall itself. In every convention centre I've ever been to, all "halls" are accessed from inside the building normally. Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. If someone spent all afternoon looking for Hall D and missed the show, then I would suggest more sleep is in order. :mrgreen:

Medwards
20-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I am also surprised people couldnt figure out how to get into Hall D.

Hrmmm lets see Hall A,B, and C all have the same entrance... Hall D is physically attached to the rest of them, must have a seperate entrance? Maybe its somewhere along the empty blank white wall. No?... no? Not along the main street? Well this is Edmonton, we do everything *** backwards here.. Lets go all the way around the building and see if we can find an entrance. You know, it wouldnt be that main entrance everyone is going into...?

Sorry if that was rude, but I'm really scratching my head on this one...

IanO
20-11-2006, 05:17 PM
i agree and would have got lost as well if i wasnt with RICH

RichardS
20-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Stay with me my son.....I will show you the path to enlightenment....or good beer... :twisted:

DebraW
22-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Venting:

Edmonton Journal
B2
Tuesday, November 21, 2006

So, when I’m walking or driving near Jasper Avenue and 97th Street, am I supposed to “Dream” I can still see the river valley instead of the ugliest paving of paradise in recent Edmonton memory? Sorry folks, the art doesn’t replace the view.