PDA

View Full Version : Different Buspasses

mAD~mOD
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
So I was looking at my buspass today, it cost me around $77.00 and it let's me ride the buses and the LRT. I know this because it has two little pictures of the LRT and the bus. I know that the price of the pass is going up next year. But what if they EST issued different passes based on the services I use. If only ride the LRT I pay one price or if I'm only riding the bus I pay another. Or a complete axcess bus pass for both, with the Preimuim bus idea coming on line soon and that light br a third billling option it might make passes more affordable for all if you only have to pay for the part of the system you want to use.

etownboarder
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I like that idea a lot. Almost like a zone/fare type system, but based on the method of transportation you would prefer to use.

The_Cat
05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
A Strathcona County bus pass runs at $85.00. I think what would be great is selling two kinds of bus passes - a basic bus pass for ETS service, and an advanced pass for Metro Edmonton service outside the city limits.

Channing
05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
The bus pass prices are due to the required costs that ETS has. A large percentage of riders probably only do one or the other, so the costs would have to go up to make up for it.

Dusty Bear
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Bad idea. Many riders don't have a choice whether they take bus or LRT. Case in point, the bus route from my neighbourhood to downtown was rerouted to south campus. Now I have to take both. Not that I mind the change, but I'd be angry if I had to pay a premium for it.

Escondido
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
^Exactly. If they had tiered services then I could see paying extra. For example, make regular routes tier 1 and have additional super expresses as tier 2. In the case of WEM, there's service to downtown via #1 and #2, so maybe pay the 'super express' premium if you want to go faster by taking the 100. Maybe this would help fund super expresses to other locations such as Westmount, Castle Downs and Londonderry where to go downtown is fairly slow on current infrastructure compared to driving. The key here is, if there's a market that would pay for this extra fee for convenience then it can work. But ETS can't do a tiered approach when there's no reasonable alternative, such as for the LRT. I would be happy to pay extra if there was a commuter express from my neighbourhood.

edmonton daily photo
05-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I disagree.. One single price that allows you to access the entire system. The system will not be designed so that the buss operate seperatly from the LRT which are both seperate from premium buss service.

It's an intigrated system and requires an intigrated price/access.

The_Cat
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I can understand different passes for different zones (Edmonton vs. Metro Edmonton). However, I don't think that the idea of a separate pass for premium bus service will sell.

edmonton daily photo
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
DO St. Albert Passes work on our city buses? How about the other way round? Can I get on a strathcona bus with ETS pass?

etownboarder
05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
IT depends on the kind of pass you buy... St. Albert has commuter passes that allow you to travel on ETS buses, but their regular monthly passes do not allow you to use ETS services. I am assuming it works the same way for Strathcona buses. And no, you cannot use St. Albert transit with a ETS pass (maybe within Edmonton city limits you can, but not if you travel outside of Edmonton).

RTA
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
^ Actually, you can travel to St. Albert on an ETS pass but you have to pay a $1 "zone fee" to do so. Once in St. Albert, I believe you can continue to use your ETS pass to travel within St. Albert, but are charged another $1 to go back to Edmonton.

You can also use your ETS pass to ride any St. Albert bus within the city of Edmonton.

etownboarder
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Then it must have changed since the last time I took the bus to St. Albert, which was summer 2005.

RTA
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
^ http://www.stalbert.ca/fares

Using ETS Passes and Tickets

When travelling from Edmonton to St. Albert with any valid ETS pass, ticket or transfer, you need to pay a $1 zone fee. For travel from St. Albert to Edmonton, a $1 zone fee plus your ETS Adult pass, ticket or transfer is required. Other Edmonton passes and transfers are not valid and full fare will be required.

It doesn't mention being able to use an ETS pass within St. Albert, though, so maybe they did take that away. You can ride the St. Albert bus within Edmonton on an ETS pass, though, I know that much for sure (I did this just a few weeks ago).

edmonton daily photo
05-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Sweet! That is regional Co Operation!!

What about the park. THey prolly shoot to kill if you whip out an ETS pass.

RTA
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
^ That's been in place with St. Albert for as long as I've been riding the bus, I believe. That would put it at 12 years running now?

lightrail
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
^ That's been in place with St. Albert for as long as I've been riding the bus, I believe. That would put it at 12 years running now?

Longer, at least since Edmonton used to operate St Albert buses under contract back in the 1970s.

This highlights a major problem, that is nobody knows that you can use St Albert and Strathcona County buses inside Edmonton city limits. Both systems can pick up and drop-off in Edmonton and both will accept Edmonton bus passes, transfers and cash fares for this purpose. If you go into St. Albert or into Strathcona, then you pay an "add-fare" as we would call it here in BC. I'm making an assumption on County agreements, it may have changed.

A simple solution is to produce a Regional Transit Map - instead of Edmonton only producing an Edmonton Transit Map, why not a regional map showing all routes operated by all three transit systems. people would instantly see that they culd use the 205 (St. Albert) to get form West Edmonton Mall to the NW industrial area; or Strathcona County Transit to get an express bus from downtown Edmonton to Bonnie Doon, etc.