PDA

View Full Version : LRT and Premium Bus Service, How will they compliment each other and how will it look

edmonton daily photo
04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Okay,

So I asked the city Planers whats with Premium Bus Service. I was giver a responce like it is BRT light.

BRT would have a lot of dedicated ROW and seperate infrustructure. Premium Buss will have some ROW, and no seperate infrustructure. it's like BRT light.

It was also interesting to learn that BRT won't spur development. Because a BRT line could be moved with a fair amount of ease, developers don't view it the same as a static LRT line that is not going anywhere.

When you start to look at things like this you start to see how the Uni could best beserved by a West ED- Uni Premium buss. this direct route would not allow for much inner city developement so why invest all the heavy infrustructure of an LRT system.

I am putting the challenge out there to design not just the LRT but the complementry bus system that will work alongside the train.

edmontonenthusiast
04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Buses don't need a ROW. Just a lane.

Go all the way with urban low floor/high floor LRT. They're different systems. LRT is like a commitment to the neighbourhood and Bus systems can easily be changed. Buses seem like something that's there just before we get the LRT.

Medwards
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
an express bus... with a new name! Won't you take a bus! It's got a new name!

LRT or bust.

The_Cat
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I think what would work would be something like the following layout:

(1) High-floor LRT for NE, South, and to NAIT, St. Albert.

(2) Low-floor LRT for West, North, SE, and for Whyte Avenue (Bonnie Doon to University).

(3) Premium bus service for the following routes:
(a) South Campus to WEM
(b) Heritage Valley to Terwillegar to WEM
(c) South Campus to Terwillegar/Heritage Valley
(d) Mill Woods Town Centre to Southgate or Century Park Station
(e) WEM to St. Albert (Along Anthony Henday Drive)
(f) 137 Avenue, from Clareview to St. Albert Trail
(g) Belvedere Station, along Fort Road/Wayne Gretzky Drive, to Bonnie Doon

moahunter
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
^I like it.

But I thought Low floor will be West, East, SE and Whyte (i.e. no North - maybe one day?).

On the St Albert to WEM - maybe St Albert transit will just run an express bus, like they do to downtown? Not sure if it needs "premium bus". Although I don't fully understand the difference between the two - presumably if no stops on the way, a traditional express bus will do?

GreenSPACE
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I saw the premium bus go past my place on 105 Street Wednesday evening! People took notice, especially of that two-tone paint job and the tinted windows...

RTA
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
^ That a "platinum" bus, which ETS uses for promotional purposes. I highly doubt they are planning on adding them to the regular fleet, even on the "premium" bus routes.

edmonton daily photo
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
an express bus... with a new name! Won't you take a bus! It's got a new name!

LRT or bust.

I am sorry but this is the reality.. Premium bus and LRT are meant to operate together in tandum.

there is not a either or debate they will both exist. LRT does not operate aside from all the other transit options, but in tandium with.

It makes sence.. People want quick and easy service from West ED to Uni, as this route provides little to no development opertunity don't build LRT, instead create premium bus service.

These are the options we are exploring, and as we all know premium buss service is going ahead as we speak.

edmonton daily photo
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I think what would work would be something like the following layout:

(1) High-floor LRT for NE, South, and to NAIT, St. Albert.

(2) Low-floor LRT for West, North, SE, and for Whyte Avenue (Bonnie Doon to University).

(3) Premium bus service for the following routes:
(a) South Campus to WEM
(b) Heritage Valley to Terwillegar to WEM
(c) South Campus to Terwillegar/Heritage Valley
(d) Mill Woods Town Centre to Southgate or Century Park Station
(e) WEM to St. Albert (Along Anthony Henday Drive)
(f) 137 Avenue, from Clareview to St. Albert Trail
(g) Belvedere Station, along Fort Road/Wayne Gretzky Drive, to Bonnie Doon

Add DT to YEG, maybe yes

The_Cat
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
That also sounds good, Edmonton Daily Photo.