PDA

View Full Version : Closing a 4 season pool when we are building a 1 season one?

moahunter
16-04-2009, 12:57 PM
So what do people think about the possibility of closing Scona pool?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sports/Everyone+pool/1501693/story.html

I think its a terrible idea to be spending millions to build a new outdoor pool that will be used for a couple of months each year, when here is a 4 season pool that is used by children to train for swimming year around. I quite like this pool having used it a couple of times, what do you think, should it be shut to save money?

IanO
16-04-2009, 01:06 PM
stupid idea... great location, scuba lessons, and high school use.

I am becoming a little worried at our priorities with regards to rinks, pools, recreation.

DTrobotnik
16-04-2009, 01:09 PM
it's what happens when fear mongering works and hillbillies like stelmach get elected. i smell a coup d'etat.

danimalrex
16-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Personally, I don't care for indoor pools and would love to see more outdoor swimming areas available within the city, but that's neither here nor there.

I do think that this is the wrong decision for the City of Edmonton. I'm sure that the $80,000 maintenance costs could easily be picked up by doing a little tweaking elsewhere in the city budget. It's really not that much money in the overall scheme of things.

I do wonder, though, what the net cost of shutting it down and getting it up and running again (assuming that they will open it again) will be. There are definate costs associated with both.

grish
16-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Is Al following the direction of the city or has he lost all imagination? I am concerned with his abilities to run the city.

Green Grovenor
16-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I refuse to go to Scona pool because there are no co-ed locker rooms where everyone gets naked together.

grish
16-04-2009, 01:58 PM
you are mistaken. it is the segregated change rooms where people get naked together. in the co-ed locker rooms, people get naked in private stalls.

Pastaboy
16-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Shutting down the Scona Pool is an absolutely stupid idea. These morons spend a ton of time working on 12 wards vs 6 and when the budget needs attention they take a slash and burn attitude.

How about a focus on more revenue generation and perhaps some additional cut back in hours?

Hopefully the Mayor's reaction to the cuts is more than lip service. I guarantee that I could save the city a TON of money by providing an honest review of how their employees 'work'.

North Guy66
16-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I was never for the re-building of the outdoor Queen E. Pool. It is a stone's throw from the Kinsmen and if you prefer outdoor pools, the jewel is Mill Creek Pool.

Time to start a movement called Friends of the Scona Pool Society

Sonic Death Monkey
16-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Closing down a pool just to save $80,000 while bidding to build another for millions? That makes no sense.

Scarma
16-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Looks like I agree with pretty much everyone here so far... this is just a completely daft decision. Especially considering the even dafter plan to spend millions on the new Queen E. pool.

The Queen E. pool was a gem in a great location. Once it was clear that the old pool could not be fixed up in its old location, planning should have stopped right there. Building a new outdoor pool in a city that once considered closing them all down for high costs and low use is questionable. Building it a few steps away from an existing covered pool is ludicrous!

highlander
16-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I love both outdoor and indoor pools, but I agree with the majority (consensus?) here - the savings for closing the existing pool are so small compared to other expenses, including the replacement QE outdoor pool that it looks like a joke.

If they need savings I'm sure there are far better ways.

moahunter
17-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I heard this morning on the radio Council is reconsidering this "hasty" decision. I wonder if they were ever serious? It may be like those situations where you propose something outrageous in the hope to push through something unpopular, but not as unpopular (in this case, shorter pool hours / less staff). It backfired this time though because the proposal was so stupid it has tarnished anyone associated with it.

Dusty Bear
17-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I heard this morning on the radio Council is reconsidering this "hasty" decision. I wonder if they were ever serious? It may be like those situations where you propose something outrageous in the hope to push through something unpopular, but not as unpopular (in this case, shorter pool hours / less staff). It backfired this time though because the proposal was so stupid it has tarnished anyone associated with it.

Was it something council put forward, or was it city administration?

Gord Lacey
17-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Was everyone else aware that there was a pool there? I had no idea... I wonder if that could be why the attendance is low?

Gord

moahunter
17-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Was it something council put forward, or was it city administration?
I am not sure - perhaps a shared case of Council asking for savings from City to meet budget? I can't remember which Councilor it was on the radio this morning, but was reported as saying it was a "hasty" decision by Council.

Gord - I didn't know it existed until I was invited there once. I don't think it is open very often for the public, just for certain times. It is more for swimming clubs and similar (I count 7 on this page)

http://www.parksandrecplus.ca/sconapool/

Pastaboy
21-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Was everyone else aware that there was a pool there? I had no idea... I wonder if that could be why the attendance is low?

Gord

So just because you were not aware of the existence of the pool you draw the conclusion that the vast majority of the populous was not aware?

Sheesh

I'm thinking anyone interested in looking for a public swim would hit the city website. Just for kicks I googled city of edmonton swimming pools and checked out the City website:

I believe I found out the reason for the low attendance my friend.

Scona pool:
Pool Schedule

Activity Days Time
Aquafit Tuesdays & Thursdays 11am-noon
Early Bird Lane Swim Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays 6-8am
Family Swim Saturdays 7-8:30pm
Public Swim Sundays 6-8pm Wednesdays 6:30-8:30pm Saturdays 1-3pm

I then grabbed the Hardisty Pool schedule:

Fitness Centre Hours

April 5 - June 30, 2009

Sun 7-9:30am
12:30-10pm
Mon-Fri 5:30am-10pm
Sat 7am-4pm

Seems to me that the hours of operation might be a determining factor?

Jimbo
21-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Gord

I didn't know it was there either. I hope we can find a way to keep it. Maybe we can raise user fees to the level where it's even with other facilities ($3 more per visit?). It doesn't get a lot of use, but 35,000 is still significant, and the activities and people using it are ones I'd like to support. The Art Gallery only had 44,000 visitors the last year I'm aware of. Just sayin'. Just for perspective. I'm not whacking that bees nest here.

A lot of the city recreational facilities are underused. I did surveys a few years ago, and I gotta say it's really boring seeing a handful of people an hour in a beautiful facility. I don't know how to get more people into those facilities.

Gord Lacey
21-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Gord

So just because you were not aware of the existence of the pool you draw the conclusion that the vast majority of the populous was not aware?

Umm...no, look at the quote. I asked if everyone else was aware there was a pool there, then I wondered if people don't know about it so that's why the attendance is low. Do you understand what a question mark indicates?

Also, if you follow the thread instead of coming in and shitting on someone, you'd notice that lots of others didn't realize there was a pool there either.

Sheesh.

Gord - tired and pissy

Scona Gwen
11-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi
If you are still interested in Scona Pool's latest news check out savesconapool.org and watch the news in the next few days.
Come to the Save Scona Pool Pool Party Sunday, June 14 from 3 - 5. Join the community members and various user groups that feel so passionately about the pool. Admission by donation. We've had confirmations from city councillors, have invited School trustee, provincial government types, plus the media.
The vote to overturn the June 30 closure goes to a sub committee of City Council June 22 and to full council July 8.

Thanks

Pastaboy
11-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi
If you are still interested in Scona Pool's latest news check out savesconapool.org and watch the news in the next few days.
Come to the Save Scona Pool Pool Party Sunday, June 14 from 3 - 5. Join the community members and various user groups that feel so passionately about the pool. Admission by donation. We've had confirmations from city councillors, have invited School trustee, provincial government types, plus the media.
The vote to overturn the June 30 closure goes to a sub committee of City Council June 22 and to full council July 8.

Thanks

Thanks for the news!

I've signed the petition already! :D

Renton
13-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I believe I found out the reason for the low attendance my friend.

You could be on to something Pastaboy, but all you've provided currently is that Hardisty has more "drop-in" / free swim time accommodated. Neither of those schedules show the amount of other programed usage ie. swim lessons, school groups, private rentals, and the aforementioned scuba classes (which I took at Scona when I was in high school). We'd have to dig deeper to uncover the true attendance issues.

etownboarder
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Scona pool given short lifeline by Edmonton city council
By Alexandra Zabjek, edmontonjournal.comJuly 8, 2009 1:10 PM

EDMONTON — The Scona pool was given a short lifeline by city councillors Wednesday morning, but the fate of the 52-year-old facility beyond the end of this year remains unknown.

Council voted to spend $122,000 from the council’s contingency fund to keep the pool operating until the end of 2009, and spend $90,0000 on a detailed building assessment. But a bid to secure a budget for the pool in 2010 was turned down.

The pool, located at 10450 72nd Ave. next to Strathcona High School, was to be closed on June 30 due to low usage, expensive upgrades, and pressures to save money. But a council committee meeting in late June recommended the city spend almost $500,000 to keep it open for another 18 months.

Coun. Karen Leibovici argued Wednesday that more funds for the Scona pool would prompt councillors from every ward to seek more money for pools in their areas.

“We seem to be setting Scona apart as a special entity versus all of the other pools in the city,” she said.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Scona+pool+given+short+lifeline+Edmonton+city+coun cil/1771506/story.html

Pastaboy
14-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Interesting how concerned silly clowncil with spending $400,000 yet whole heartedly jumped into the airport closure with the likelihood of a multimillion dollar ecological cleanup bill to be borne by you and me.

moahunter
14-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Connection between indoor swimming pool and municipal airport closure? Even by my standards, that's stretching.

RTA
14-07-2009, 01:20 PM
silly clowncil

This never stops being funny!

By the way, I'm being sarcastic.

Pastaboy
15-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Connection between indoor swimming pool and municipal airport closure? Even by my standards, that's stretching.

The relation is that they make the pool decision on the basis of saving pennies yet make a larger decision based on dubious numbers. :neutral:

Medwards
15-07-2009, 03:01 PM
^ Are you confused? Lonely? This thread is about pools, not the airport. Try saying what you want to say about the airport, in the appropriate thread... but like any pro-airporter, you'll try to take your shots where no one is around to defend the truth.

Pastaboy
15-07-2009, 09:19 PM
^ Are you confused? Lonely? This thread is about pools, not the airport. Try saying what you want to say about the airport, in the appropriate thread... but like any pro-airporter, you'll try to take your shots where no one is around to defend the truth.

Jumping to conclusions much?:rolleyes:

Chmilz
20-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I refuse to go to Scona pool because there are no co-ed locker rooms where everyone gets naked together.
I agree. However I also won't go there because it's not shiny and new, and if it takes me less than 45 minutes to drive to it, it must not be worth going to.

etownboarder
13-11-2009, 10:14 AM
City managers want Scona Pool shut down
BY KEITH GEREIN, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 13, 2009 6:04 AM

EDMONTON — City managers are calling for Scona Pool to be shut down by the end of this year, suggesting $13 million in renovations will be needed to make it a viable, long-term facility.

However, the recommendation comes as the pool's operators are reporting a substantial increase in attendance this fall.The increase prompted at least two councillors to seek a delay on any closure decision.

"The new contracted operator has done a great job promoting it in the community, and we're seeing demand for that facility rise again for the first time in a long time," Coun. Don Iveson said on Thursday.

"I think that bodes well and forces council to say 'Well, maybe this is a viable facility we should be investing in for the long term.' I think we need another year to see what the attendance trends are like."

Plagued with low use, expensive upgrades and pressures to save money, the 52-year-old pool was to close last summer, but council voted to spend $122,000 from its contingency fund to keep it operating until the end of 2009.

Another $291,000 must be paid to the contractor if the city hopes to keep it open through 2010.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Councillors+differ+with+managers+fate+Scona+Pool/2216398/story.html

etownboarder
16-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Attendance growth might save Scona pool
BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 16, 2009 6:02 PM

EDMONTON — Edmonton staff aren’t closing the door on the Scona pool as long as attendance continues to improve, they told a council committee meeting Monday.

Although the administration has recommended shutting the facility next year to save money in the face of the lowest usage among south-side pools, Linda Cochrane, community services general manager, said there’s still hope for the 52-year-old site.

Under a new contractor, about 11,500 people swam at Scona over the last two months, a big improvement over the average of 36,000 who used it annually in previous years.

“A significant increase given all the attention is not unexpected. What I have heard some people say … is keeping it operational in 2010 will give some knowledge over whether that can be sustained,” Cochrane said.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Attendance+growth+might+save+Scona+pool/2229867/story.html