PDA

View Full Version : River Access

steall2
15-11-2006, 08:57 AM
It would be nice to see greater access within the city to the North Saskatchewan River for rafting, canoeing, kayaking and boating. We are very limited at the moment when it comes to boat launches in this city. Our river is safe if used properly and is healthier than most people think. Get out there and start using this great river!

RichardS
15-11-2006, 09:30 AM
As an avid boater on the river, I wholeheartedly agree. The river is absolutely beautiful from the waterline, and the city is amazing. I have a few pictures...

The main problem is that the water is too shallow for most boats over a 18" draft. I have a jet boat that I take ont he river, and too many times I have sucked up rocks. If it had an average depth of 5', no issues for most boats that you would actually want ON the river. Jet boats, pontoons, barges, and paddles (canoe, kayak, etc) as they have little to no real wake, turn easily, and the pontoons/barges are great platforms for viewing. Any deep V hull would throw up too much wake for canoeists and really, a 40' Bayliner wants to anchor somewhere....the river is not wide enough for them...

IanO
15-11-2006, 12:37 PM
let's build that water level riser device.