PDA

View Full Version : River Front Village

jcg1
13-11-2006, 11:41 AM
What have I always longed for in Edmonton? To have a river front village. This does not include houses. Instead it would include quaint shops, indoor/outdoor market, cafes hosting live jazz bands and folks groups and excellent restaurants right along the river. One of our biggest selling features is the river. Other cities have maximized this feature. While we have excellent pathways, we need aspot where these pathways can meet up. People should be able to bike from Riverbend and Rundlepark to a destination- that being a River City Village. Possibly where the Epcor water plant currently is. It would be close to downtown, accessible by public transit, and by the pathways. Vancouver has Granville island, Winnipeg has the Forks, Ottawa has the Byward Market.... these all attract a lot of people. Let's class up Edmonton- it's an amazing city!

DanC
13-11-2006, 11:43 AM
ROSSDALE!

It can contain this and have a also support a large increase in population and density.

IanO
13-11-2006, 12:17 PM
as long as we dont say "let's make granville island" im ok with it.

Rossdale from the river to 97ave is some of the most underused undervalued land ive ever seen in a city...it is OUR FALSE CREEK...

add in a few towers, a few midrise, a few lowrise with townhouses....focus on mixed use, the pedestrian, the arts, the interaction.

Convert rossdale power station into a musuem....of Modern Art.

DanC
13-11-2006, 01:09 PM
MUSEUM OF MODERN INDUSTRY!!!

IanO
13-11-2006, 01:12 PM
MUSEUM OF MODERN INDUSTRY!!!

modern everything...music, industry, traditional AB now modern...

DanC
13-11-2006, 01:15 PM
NO ONLY MODERN INDUSTRY...actually I don't care, just do something cool. Hell even if it becomes that Epcor water center, at least have a museum or something public.

Doug
13-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with the Rossdale area. I think it would be a great idea to add small shops and cafes just north of 97 Avenue. It could be a great draw for visitors and a real tourist attraction for the river valley if done properly.

Fell
13-11-2006, 02:34 PM
jcg1, you've definitely touched on something we've all been rooting for!

I agree with Dan and Ian, the Rossdale area should be focused on and handled properly.

Also, I was driving down what I think is 98th Ave, over by the Muttart Conservatory, and I wonder why that land was used just for those low-rise condos. That whole stretch is money, it should be looked at for further development. It's in the valley, has fast walking access to both downtown and the southside there. It actually sort of reminded me of Kitsilano, if it were done up with some interesting retailers, cafés, and the like!

DanC
14-11-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't think Rossdale is ever going to see much retail, essentially every lot along 98th ave has now been purchased and redeveloped and is almost exclusively residential, the sole exception being Fritz's Ski haus.
There will also never be any high rise or mid rise development down there, there just isn't a suitable parcel of land.

RichardS
14-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I don't see much density in that area as far as high rises...nothing really suitable and most of it will be up on the riverbank.

Right down in the valley is a place where highrises won't work IMO - too distracting to our sacred river valley views. If you think Strathern or Glenora is a fight, propose a complex near the plant or TELUS field...dare ya...

Not that I would be opposed to a well thought out plan, but that battle in that area is not a hill I'd chose to die on here.

Museum = excellent.

River Valley shops/market//retail = great.

Viewpoints and interpretive history = hooray.

Indigenous museum = great.

Incorporate the firefighter training center = I'd agree.

Highrises….meh….no.

Fell
14-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I may be a *****, is the Rossdale neighbourhood that same area where that Fritz's Ski Haus is located? I thought it was further up, but maybe not.

DanC
14-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Nah Rossdale is where Telus Field and Rossdale Generating Station are, you are thinking of Cloverdale.

Fell
14-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Ahh okay. That is where I thought Rossdale was. Friends and I were trying to figure out what the Cloverdale neighbourhood was actually called a few days ago.

Cloverdale really struck me as a huge opportunity for the city but it seems squandered on those apartments and the housing there.

I'm interested to learn more about any tentative plans for Rossdale.

IanO
14-11-2006, 11:54 AM
"Right down in the valley is a place where highrises won't work IMO - too distracting to our sacred river valley views. If you think Strathern or Glenora is a fight, propose a complex near the plant or TELUS field...dare ya... "

ok...

we need some density in that area..not HUGE, but it is craving people.

DanC
14-11-2006, 12:27 PM
"Right down in the valley is a place where highrises won't work IMO - too distracting to our sacred river valley views. If you think Strathern or Glenora is a fight, propose a complex near the plant or TELUS field...dare ya... "

ok...

The area west of the Ball Park and Power plant can support any type of development, it is basically an extension of the high rise, high density on the north side of 97 ave.

IanO
14-11-2006, 12:28 PM

ok...

The area west of the Ball Park and Power plant can support any type of development, it is basically an extension of the high rise, high density on the north side of 97 ave.

bingo... a mixture of low,mid,highrise with street fronting retail and the such...lots of public art and parkspace for taking it all in.