PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Walk of Fame

dazzer
11-11-2006, 01:19 AM
This is a small idea and not one of my better ones, so you can knock it if you want. Why not have a walk of fame for famous Edmontonians and Albertans? You are all familiar with the walk of fame in Toronto that has copied Hollywood. Why not copy Hollywood and Toronto and put a plaque in the side walk that honours important people in our community, past and present who have contributed. You could put something there that explains who they are or what they did. Of course, it is not original, but who cares? You could have a ceremony for the person to honour them and it would be a point of interest (for me) anyway. It would pull people downtown or wherever it was decided to be put. I like right on Jasper Ave.

CW
13-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I actually think this is kind of a cool idea. What needs to go with this is a really great looking and informative brochure/guide. I have to admit that I pass by parks and statues through out the city and have no idea of the significance of the people that they are named after.

We have no collective history. Maybe this would help, but it needs something to tie in all of the various historically significant people from across the city.

LindseyT
13-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Another simple, yet solid idea. Why not?

I'll take it a steep further to add some originality. If the new arena gets built near stationlands and the city gets around to doing the sports museum in Chancelery Hall, hopefully some sports bars would follow. Imagine the sidewalk from the sports museum to the arena has a "sports walk of fame". Great atheletes and contributers to edmonton's sport scene would be placed on the sidewalk. Clare Drake, Wild Bill, Messier, Ferbey, The Grads, Bucyk....