PDA

View Full Version : Video Screens, big Screens at Churchill Square

Jasper
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Put up a number of video screens on the City Centre Mall for advertising and special events. It would bring a lot of life into the centre and really create a cool sence of place.
Much like Dundas square in Toronto, but of course different - and better!!

IanO
10-11-2006, 01:32 PM
good idea, wrong location IMO. Churchill is semi tranquil.

How about around the 102ave/101st intersection:>

Fell
10-11-2006, 01:32 PM
So far the the billboards along City Centre haven't even been sold yet, as I often see empty signage and boards along those buildings. I don't think there is enough of a market savvy attitude in this city for companies to spend that kind of money.

You have to take into account the cost of producing a video of reasonable quality. This is important it will not only reflect the company, but the area in which they are playing: the downtown.

It's one thing to see the video billboards of Vancouver or NYC, but they have international sponsors handling great campaigns. Edmonton is rarely included in roll-out Úlite marketing campaigns by the bigger players, as we're often considered a city of Early and more often Late Majority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_%28business%29) of conceptual adoption. This means that we're not as open to new campaigns until other regions have adopted them as their own and proven their trendiness or usefulness.

This would most certainly leave us with campaigns more akin to The Brick commercials than the quality of Nike and BMW.

This would consequently brand out entire downtown region poorly.

However, using such monitors in conjunction with, say, the CBC, NFB, or another producer/broadcaster might offer some visual finesse to the downtown area. So the idea is decent, just have to find out a) if people would even watch the screens (probably not? as they're downtown for other reasons), b) is it cost effective, and c) ultimately does it serve a beneficial purpose or are we mimicking other cities' aesthetics?

IanO
10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
another issue here though is COLD and LCD/Plasma....

as for those signs not being sold/rented...i think it is more the people promoting them than the lack of interest.

amanzano
10-11-2006, 02:31 PM
IMO, the lack of interest is due to the fact that Churchill is not really considered a high traffic area. It works on Whitemud & Cgy Tr for that reason. Dundas Square especially works because, well let's face it, yonge street is VERY high traffic.

Glimmer of hope though. At one point, the intersection of Yonge and Dundas was on the decline, so it was up to the city to spruce it up. They added the fountains, razed some empty buildings, and they built stages for live music, shops, and offices all around. Churchill in my opinion has that POTENTIAL! There's space and it's beautiful to walk through...but it's not quite there. I love 3 Bananas and that 2nd cup on the square, but we need more! More shops, more entertainment (year round) will equal more ppl, and THEN these LCD signs will sell just fine!

canucklehead
14-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Video screens on the east side of City Centre would be more iconic than revenue producing, which makes me think the CBC should get involved. Hell, I am sure during some times of the day, having a TV billboard would almost double their ratings!!

Plus, it would be a great way to add some life to the somewhat bland mall. I am not saying turn it into Times Square north, but at least having the CBC channels broadcasting over the square would be a good idea..

amanzano
15-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Video screens on the east side of City Centre would be more iconic than revenue producing, which makes me think the CBC should get involved. Hell, I am sure during some times of the day, having a TV billboard would almost double their ratings!!

Plus, it would be a great way to add some life to the somewhat bland mall. I am not saying turn it into Times Square north, but at least having the CBC channels broadcasting over the square would be a good idea..

Not a bad idea. Isn't churchill wired to have music pumping outta there to build some sort of ambiance? maybe I dreamt that up cause I never hear it...sorta like that huge whistle statue...no sound.

luxbeauty
17-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I went to the BYOC "sit-in" showing of "Failure to Launch" in Churchill Sq in the summer and I loved it. I'd go to more outdoor movies.