PDA

View Full Version : Growing one pot plant could mean jail under resurrected bill

etownboarder
28-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Growing one pot plant could mean jail under resurrected bill
By Janice Tibbetts, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 28, 2009

The Conservative government revived a bill Friday to impose automatic jail terms for drug-related crimes, which would send people to jail for growing as little as one marijuana plant for the purpose of trafficking.

The proposed legislation, which Justice Minister Rob Nicholson said is designed to target organized crime, mirrors a 2007 bill that died when the Oct. 14 general election was called.

"Mandatory prison sentences are appropriate for those who commit serious drug offences threatening our society," Nicholson said in Vancouver, where a number of shootings occurring in the last month have been blamed on gangs and the drug trade.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Growing+plant+could+mean+jail+under+resurrected+bi ll/1339713/story.html

Medwards
28-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Pot should be legalized, and taxed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-pottax24-2009feb24,0,3858677.story

etownboarder
28-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes, it certainly should... I would rather the gov't profit off the drug than a bunch of thugs.

glasshead
28-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Sounds similar to the version of U.S's useless, and expensive "war on drugs".

http://www.drugpolicy.org/library/factsheets/effectivenes/

Doug
28-02-2009, 01:51 PM
A person will never go to jail in this country for growing one marihuana plant. I don't care what the government propeganda says. Another knee jerk response to a very complicated issue.

raz0469
28-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Continuing the War on Drugs is institutional insanity. We are throwing away billions every year on a fight against human nature that has no clear or possible victory. This is quite obviously a huge step in the wrong direction.

armin
28-02-2009, 05:10 PM
A person will never go to jail in this country for growing one marihuana plant. I don't care what the government propeganda says. Another knee jerk response to a very complicated issue.

It's not that complicated really. We waste a ton of money trying to enforce a rather large industry that caters to a very diverse market.
The stereotypical deadhead slacker stoner is being replaced with middle aged men with good careers who grew up realizing it's been nothing but hype for decades. Instead of wasting the resources, we can benefit greatly from the revenue, taxes, and uses of cannibus.

Me personally, I prefered my hippie roomate who annoyed me more with incense than my boozy roomate who would come home drunk in party mode at 3am all the time.

And one plant, are they serious? Look out Scarface, there's a new player on the block. :rolleyes:

28-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Growing one pot plant could mean jail under resurrected bill
By Janice Tibbetts, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 28, 2009

The Conservative government revived a bill Friday to impose automatic jail terms for drug-related crimes, which would send people to jail for growing as little as one marijuana plant for the purpose of trafficking.

The proposed legislation, which Justice Minister Rob Nicholson said is designed to target organized crime, mirrors a 2007 bill that died when the Oct. 14 general election was called.

"Mandatory prison sentences are appropriate for those who commit serious drug offences threatening our society," Nicholson said in Vancouver, where a number of shootings occurring in the last month have been blamed on gangs and the drug trade.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Growing+plant+could+mean+jail+under+resurrected+bi ll/1339713/story.html

What about automatic jail terms for people who use VLT's? Government sponsored addiction is OK....

ike9126
01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
The costs of keeping someone in prison for growing a single pot plant far outweigh any benefits.

01-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I am getting fed up with the fact that government, yes, our government is like a drug cartel. It already owns VLT's, lotteries, alcohol. Now people who smoke can only buy a legal product in gas bars----buy gas get smokes or convenience stores. If our government was REALLY interested in health issues and moral issues it would not use VLT's as revenue or smokes etc. I realize that this post is a waste of time in the sense that it will make not one iota of a difference.

Jimbo
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
We've all likely seen how addictions can cause people to do terrible things they would never have considered if they weren't consumed by their addiction and their need for their fix. The Government (aka us, the people) is addicted to money. I think you see where I'm going.

You're right - if it was about health, they'd ban tobacco sales and VLT's and other industries that bring in huge tax dollars.

I'm for legalizing pot and taxing it. This new/old approach to pot shows how out of touch the Conservatives are on this particular issue, IMO.

02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
We've all likely seen how addictions can cause people to do terrible things they would never have considered if they weren't consumed by their addiction and their need for their fix. The Government (aka us, the people) is addicted to money. I think you see where I'm going.

You're right - if it was about health, they'd ban tobacco sales and VLT's and other industries that bring in huge tax dollars.

I'm for legalizing pot and taxing it. This new/old approach to pot shows how out of touch the Conservatives are on this particular issue, IMO.

Yes I do.