PDA

View Full Version : Monuments in Traffic Circles

Jasper
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Havent read all the other ideas yet, and if this one has been brought up, my apologies.
One of the unique things about our City is we have traffic circles. Some have gone away, but we still have some left.
My idea is, why not put a monument in the middle. This would create a focal point and vista down the street or avenue.
Such things to consider could be a fountain or a statue

RichardS
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Yes, it is being discussed, but your submission just adds to the voices calling for renovations to these circles and also to preserving their uniqueness. Post away!

WELCOME TO THE CONTEST!

I'll link to the old discussion for you to look at and continue to submit your contributions...

Click on the link...

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032&highlight=roundabouts

IKAN104
11-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I think this is a great idea.

There is a small traffic circle in the new Griesbach development north of 137th Ave which has a statue of General Griesbach himself on a horse in the middle of the traffic circle and it looks awesome.

And as an added bonus it wouldn't even cost much (relatively speaking ofcourse)

Edmcowboy11
11-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Definitely some sort of monument should go up in the big field of a traffic circle near Bonnie Doon mall. Maybe since vimy ridge academy is near there too, some sort of monument to the actual vimy ridge.

dazzer
11-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Having made the suggestion for more outdoor art in the city, I would also love to see statues, fountains and monuments too. Fountains are a bit more problematic given that they are empty part of the year, whereas art, statues and monuments can be enjoyed all year round.

RichardS
11-11-2006, 01:11 AM
There is a small traffic circle in the new Griesbach development north of 137th Ave which has a statue of General Griesbach himself on a horse in the middle of the traffic circle and it looks awesome.

Saw it, love it.

porcelin pig
11-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Statues not only enhance the looks of the city but can be used to celebrate our history.

I would love to see a statue of Maskepetoon one of Alberta's first peacenicks. Statues help us remember.

RichardS
11-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes, they do.

IKAN104
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Definitely some sort of monument should go up in the big field of a traffic circle near Bonnie Doon mall. Maybe since vimy ridge academy is near there too, some sort of monument to the actual vimy ridge.

The Bonnie Doon traffic circle is huge! Obivously, any monuments placed in these traffic circles have to be appropriately proportioned. In other words, the Bonnie Doon traffic circle could have a huge monument. That could look very cool. 8)

ThomasH
12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm in favour of building monuments in traffic circles, the only concern I have is that the traffic circles must be able to handle future increases in traffic.

canucklehead
14-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree with the idea. Monumental icons or at least sculptures would be a great way to spruce up the existing circles... plus maybe new names could be created for the circles. For example the one by Bonnie Doon, something like Whytehall Circus, or something like that would be cool.

KC
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Great idea!

Gemini
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
This should be though over. Statues, monuments, fountains. People crossing over roads to get close up pictures standing next to said objects. We do not need these kinds of distractions in these traffic circles especially when half the population do not know how to navigate them in the first place.

Blueline
09-10-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.allaboutguadalajara.com/cityscenes.htm