PDA

View Full Version : ETS System Security

Solaris
14-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I would like to start a discussion about security within the ETS System. I feel it is lacking. Some things I would like to see are:

More of a presence of security especially at TC's, LRT stations and trains.
Better coverage of some problematic bus routes.
Cell phone coverage throughout the LRT System, even underground portions.
An ability to alert security to issues by sms text messaging (it is not always possible to talk in certain situations. (Many big cities are adopting this.
Change the primary role of security from fare enforcement to public safety.
More video surveillance.

Any other ideas?

Medwards
14-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with your ideas, cept maybe video surveillance. ETS has tons of that. Maybe they rely on it too much, and that's why you never see many security officers around, unless they are trying to catch fare-evaders.

blainehamilton
16-02-2009, 02:19 PM
There should not only be a more visable security presence, there should be a greater focus on catching fare evaders.

16-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I would like to start a discussion about security within the ETS System. I feel it is lacking. Some things I would like to see are:

More of a presence of security especially at TC's, LRT stations and trains.
Better coverage of some problematic bus routes.
Cell phone coverage throughout the LRT System, even underground portions.
An ability to alert security to issues by sms text messaging (it is not always possible to talk in certain situations. (Many big cities are adopting this.
Change the primary role of security from fare enforcement to public safety.
More video surveillance.

Any other ideas?

After the recent events at a Toronto underground transit station I agree with your post and I like some of your ideas. Personally I don't use the LRT so I can't comment on that but you might want to send your ideas to the City as they may be in the process of looking at security.

etownboarder
28-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Police laud anti-crime effort at Mill Woods bus centre
By Kimberly Collins-Lauber, edmontonjournal.comApril 28, 2009 12:02 PM

EDMONTON An effort to make Mill Woods transit centres safer has yielded criminal charges and the seizure of drugs, weapons and fake bus passes, Edmonton police said Tuesday.

At a news conference at Mill Woods Transit Centre at 3 p.m., representatives from the Edmonton Police Service and the Edmonton Transit Service are to discuss the program to improve safety in public places where large groups gather.

Since April 6, police have used a combination of undercover and uniformed officers, video surveillance, school resource officers, bike patrol officers, marked and unmarked police vehicles and other means to ensure public safety.

Some of the items seized so far include small amounts of marijuana and drug pipes, ecstasy, numerous weapons, fake bus passes and a vehicle, police said in a release. They said they have laid seven criminal charges for robbery and drugs, executed six outstanding warrants, handed out 30 bylaw summonses and identified numerous offenders.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Police+laud+anti+crime+effort+Mill+Woods+centre/1542339/story.html