PDA

View Full Version : Hawrelak Park outdoor swimming pool

stinger
09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I think that a outdoor swimming pool that is shaped like a natural beach should be built in Hawrelak park. Maybe have a few water slides and a retractable roof. Would be world class and gain lots of attention from the winter Cities out there.

IanO
09-11-2006, 02:10 PM
WEM is this....maybe at QE pool but hawrelak should be kept au' natural.

grish
09-11-2006, 02:30 PM
i don't know about a retractable roof, but a swimming hole or two with natural sand and clean water for swimming in edmonton is definitely a great idea.

IKAN104
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
When I lived in Toronto about 10 years ago I remember driving out some place where they had an outdoor pool that was circular, very large and without walls.

In other words, the pool was a beach style like at WEM, except all around and it wasn't sandy, it was simply a large concrete pool surrounded by grass.

And it wasn't real deep anywhere so it was perfect for little kids to play and for adults to cool off.

One or two of those at Hawrelak would be awesome. As long as it's made big enough because those types of things tend to get real busy.

stinger
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't agree with the QE site as there is a crosswalk located on the road in front of it which is on a steep down hill curved road. The parking lot located across the street from the proposed pool will create a dangerous walkway that kids will use. Also the cost to rip out the existing trees isn't wise and the parking will be limited as the site and pool is small. This is a forum for what will make Edmonton a better place, Edmonton is growing hense we need bigger ideas.

IanO
10-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't agree with the QE site as there is a crosswalk located on the road in front of it which is on a steep down hill curved road. The parking lot located across the street from the proposed pool will create a dangerous walkway that kids will use. Also the cost to rip out the existing trees isn't wise and the parking will be limited as the site and pool is small. This is a forum for what will make Edmonton a better place, Edmonton is growing hense we need bigger ideas.

bigger ideas as in more costcos?

highlander
10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Check out the pools at Borden Park. They have a regular (deep, pay) outdoor pool, 2 free wading pools and a wadable stream. The stream should be flowing (and cleaner) but overall it has great amenities. The problem is accesibility and image. Who ever thinks of Borden Park? That park shoud be fixed up and promoted, but there should be others built, and Hawrelak is a great choice.

highlander
10-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I wonder what the odds of getting new wading pools is when Capital Health is in the process of irrationally condemning all the small community league ones.

stinger
10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I wonder what the odds of getting new wading pools is when Capital Health is in the process of irrationally condemning all the small community league ones. This would not be a wading pool, but a large swimming pool. They have large WEM type outdoor swimming/wave pools in the US. Thus a retractable, light weight, roof. Oliver pool is a really cool place with a great deck.