PDA

View Full Version : Make the High Level Bridge a Highlight!

kenta
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Just a simple idea but one I think could make a great impression on people visiting our City, and to those that live here all the time. The high level bridge is an icon of our Cty: it spans the North Saskatchewan River Valley (arguably the City's best asset), connecting the Cty's North and South; it features the Great Divide Waterfall on special occasions; and it is clearly visible from numerous vantage points throughout the City.

My idea is to illuminate the bridge at night, perhaps similar to the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the various bridges in Budapest. I feel the multiple cross beams, rivets, and overall architecture of the bridge provide an ideal canvas for such a project, and what better way to brighten up our City in the cold winter months than with thousands of little bulbs spanning across one of the City's largest structures?

The bridge is a symbol of technology, of the link between our communities, of transportation for people, cars, goods, and even trains, of our past, and of our potential future. Imagine thousands of little lights reflecting against the shimmering waters of the North Saskatchewan on a summer night, thousands of little lights adding to the impact of the "Great Divide Waterfall" on special occasions, and thousands of little lights providing a sense of warmth and hope against the stark contrast of an ice-filled, snow-covered river in the dead of winter.

The project is small enough to be feasible, but big enough to drastically change our City's skyline.

grish
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
you mean, as a follow up on the ideas in this thread?
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=944

RichardS
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
It may be similar, but I look it as...

A) another vote of confidence for lighting this thing up, and the rest of downtown.

B) Great minds think alike....

WELCOME kenta and thank you very much for posting. Good Luck!

grish
09-11-2006, 09:49 AM
yep. there have been many..no, MANY calls for the improvement of the high level and building a new bridge as well. I think this would be a popular election platform item.

IKAN104
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I like the idea. Let's do it.

RichardS
06-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Locked...consolidate the discussion here.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18939#18939