PDA

View Full Version : IPO WEM

Funk E-Town
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
The fundamental reason why Edmonton and Edmontonians are not completely behind promoting WEM is truly because it is privately owned.

I think if WEM could be turned into a public company it would be the biggest change in our attitude towards our number one attraction.

Give Edmontonians "first rights" when stocks are issued and transform all of us (willing) into shareholders!

Lets see... a $250 million deal to the Ghermesians (or is the Mall still in receivership... then it would be deal with ATB) should do it... That's 5 million shares at $50 each - and if everyone here buys five shares, $250 each (and people were wondering what to do with their Ralph Bux...)

murman
08-11-2006, 01:43 PM
The fundamental reason why Edmonton and Edmontonians are not completely behind promoting WEM is truly because it is privately owned.

I think if WEM could be turned into a public company it would be the biggest change in our attitude towards our number one attraction.

Give Edmontonians "first rights" when stocks are issued and transform all of us (willing) into shareholders!

Lets see... a $250 million deal to the Ghermesians (or is the Mall still in receivership... then it would be deal with ATB) should do it... That's 5 million shares at $50 each - and if everyone here buys five shares, $250 each (and people were wondering what to do with their Ralph Bux...)

I'd rather own shares in World War 3. I can only hope that you're joking.

RichardS
08-11-2006, 01:56 PM
While maybe not an IPO, it definitely addresses the concern that WEM needs to update itself and pay attention to the city that helped promote them and give them their start. It seems that the Ghermezians have all but run away from WEM. There is absolutely NO vision for what this mall needs to change to.

teddyt
30-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Murman is FUNNY! I've read some of your replies and they ALL kill me! You are so right! The purpose of this whole contest was to provide "visionary" ideas for a greater Edmonton! My thinking is that if you even remotely mention "shopping" or the idea of creating more "little cafes" or "trendy shops" then you have to have your tiny brain examined or become a little more adept at reading comprehension. A "visionary shopping district" is an oxymoron. Get real people and stop talking about how great our City can be by adding more shops and trendy areas. It's embarrassing enough that we are identified by the rest of the World as having a huge mall, please stop these inane posts of shopping. It's stupid. Really, it should be considered one of the 7 deadly sins...Murder, shopping, etc...

Sonic Death Monkey
30-11-2006, 04:47 PM
My thinking is that if you even remotely mention "shopping" or the idea of creating more "little cafes" or "trendy shops" then you have to have your tiny brain examined or become a little more adept at reading comprehension. A "visionary shopping district" is an oxymoron. Get real people and stop talking about how great our City can be by adding more shops and trendy areas. It's embarrassing enough that we are identified by the rest of the World as having a huge mall, please stop these inane posts of shopping. It's stupid. Really, it should be considered one of the 7 deadly sins...Murder, shopping, etc...
You miss the point completely.

We want more pedestrian-friendly and people-gathering areas akin to Whyte Ave (daytime only), may it be along a river valley promenade or downtown or on 118 Ave. And let's face it, these things won't happen if there's no places to gather at. If it means putting in a Starbucks or an Earls or a lululemon then so be it. If a retailer, wine bar or restaurant wants to start up or relocate then I'd like to see them choose to move to these areas instead of the faceless car-oriented places like strip malls, shopping malls and SEC.

IanO
30-11-2006, 04:54 PM
murman - i hold 100% of WWIII and am no selling anytime soon, not even for........"wem" shares.

Funk E-Town
01-12-2006, 09:16 AM
murman - i hold 100% of WWIII and am no selling anytime soon, not even for........"wem" shares.

Wow - I didn't know IanO was in fact George W... (BTW wars make money, and isn't that what IPO's are all about?)

And Murman... somehow the word "bitter" comes to mind... I know every online board has a cynic but could we at least have one positive comment from you once in a while? Just one... pleeese....

No but really, I think you guys missed the point I was trying to make with the WEM IPO (put it on the stock market and sell it to Edmontonians) idea.

True enough, shopping is not as entertaining, creative or original as our festivals or all the other attractions/pretty places we have in Edmonton but want it or not, WEM is the #1 attraction in Edmonton and Alberta. Shopping is also the #1 reason why people visit Edmonton (after visiting friends or relatives of course.)

I think the perception of "The Mall" is what I was really getting at changing here. The whole tax evasion thing and lawsuit with ATB has left a bitter taste in every Edmontonian's mouth. Similar to when Peter Puck used to own the Oilers - no-one here wanted to support the team then (and look what has happened since...) The aftermath of the WEM/ATB public relations fiasco, compounded by an elusive mall ownership - flippant management style (Gary Hanson anyone...) poor participation in our community and migration by the owners (read:defection) to the States make our star attraction something most Edmontonians now hates and puts down at everychance we get (just look at the above posts...)

The IPO idea offers a solution that deals with ownership (somewhat the same issue we had with the Oilers) - and if this turns around the negative attitude Edmonton has towards it and give a good return on investment to its shareholders, it would be good all around.

Hey.. if the Brick and Liquor Depot did it... why not WEM?

IanO
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
to me this screams, mall falling apart, let's all put our own money in to save it when the current owners should be.

RichardS
01-12-2006, 09:44 AM
We kind of did....aren't we all shareholders of ATB? ;)

IanO
01-12-2006, 09:48 AM
We kind of did....aren't we all shareholders of ATB? ;)

not me, i keep my BC residency for this reason

RichardS
01-12-2006, 09:59 AM
commie

KC
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
To me, WEM is a fantastic asset for this city.

Unfortunately, the way it often works is that a property portfolio goes up for sale, someone like Eddie Lampert picks it up, everyone lampoons the decision, then other 'smart money' also starts to see the underlying value and bids it up - finally the locals who had the inside track but preferred lampooning, realize Lampert - and not them - got it all for 10-cents on the dollar. Of course, later on Joe Public steps up and buys into it for $2.00-on the dollar.

Remember in the late 90s, while many locals were losing big on mystery (internet) shares, Edmonton properties were begging for buyers - but we couldn't see the value.

I believe, one of the reasons this site was created was to help everyone recognize all the different assets around us.

teddyt
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Strongly disagree...WEM is a BLIGHT!

RichardS
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Given that it is the #1 tourist attraction and one of the biggest money/employment nodes in Alberta, I'd have to disagree with the blight sentiment. Yes, it is a vortex that may have killed Downtown, and yes it needs a makeover something fierce, but a blight is a little harsh.