PDA

View Full Version : LRT's Bay Station renamed Bay/Enterprise Square

mercedesbenz
06-08-2008, 03:37 AM
U of A appeals ruling on renaming Bay LRT station
City committee nixed 'Enterprise Square Station' proposal in June
Gordon KentThe Edmonton Journal
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The University of Alberta has filed an appeal after a city committee turned down its request to rename the Bay LRT stop Enterprise Square Station.
The satellite Enterprise Square campus, housing the extension faculty, the School of Business executive program, business family institute and TEC Edmonton, opened in the former Bay store at Jasper Avenue and 103rd Street last September following a $100-million renovation.

University officials tried to convince Edmonton's naming committee last spring that the designation for the LRT station should be updated, but the request was denied in June, city planner Cory Sousa said Tuesday.

The seven-member committee wanted to maintain the heritage of the Hudson's Bay Co., which helped found Edmonton, once owned most downtown land and paid approximately $500,000 toward the pedway linking the store and the station, said Sousa, the committee co-ordinator.

As well, the committee decided it wouldn't be appropriate to name a public facility for a private building, particularly when the LRT serves many other nearby properties, he said.

They also concluded that calling the stop Enterprise Square wouldn't meet naming requirements such as marking historical events, describing local plants and animals, or honouring people with outstanding achievements or major contributions to the city, he said.

"The naming committee said no ... the U of A appealed their decision. Now it goes to executive committee of council."

A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 10. The tentative cost of changing the name of the station, which opened in 1982, is estimated at $200,000.
Don Hickey, the U of A's vice-president of facilities and operations, said the university is willing to work with the city on ways to commemorate the site, such as putting a plaque in the concourse with pictures and information about the original Bay store and Enterprise Square.

"We're fully prepared to recognize the historical significance. Even in the building we have maintained all the historical requirements."

The move would help avoid confusion with the current Bay store, he said, and pinpoint the campus better for students who might only be taking one extension course. While the U of A is willing to pay for the renaming, Hickey didn't know how much it would cost.

Expenses could be reduced by making the change at the same time as new south LRT stations open in 2009-10, when audio train announcements and maps will have to be redone anyway, he said.

Although none of Edmonton's 11 operating LRT stations has received a new name after being built, Sousa said there have been a few switches during the planning process.

For example, Jubilee was the original suggestion for the Health Sciences Station and Government was considered for Grandin Station, while 76th Avenue was once proposed for the soon-to-open Belgravia-McKernan platform, he said.

Comment: I think the name "Enterprise Square Station" sounds ridiculous. I know there's a lot of money behind advertisements and naming rights but just the name "Bay Station" has such a rich history to it. It would be a terrible shame if the city did change it. I applaud them for vetoing the change.

grish
06-08-2008, 06:33 AM
while the Hudson Bay company helped to found Edmonton, University of Alberta is what will ultimately take Edmonton into the future. There is no longer a Bay store in the building. I think the request to rename is justified. I am in support of it.
Actually, I am more in support of renaming the LRT stop then the actual building. I think that due to the historical significance of the building, it should carry the name of Bay Building Enterprize Square or something like that.

IanO
06-08-2008, 07:26 AM
why do we have to rename everything in this city...

KEEP IT BAY

SteveB
06-08-2008, 07:34 AM
If it gats renamed then Corona also has to go...why change any names, it's a link to the past.

IanO
06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
^bingo.

We have so many other thigns that need our attention, this and new pyramids at the east/west end can die.

newfangled
06-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I think Bay Station along with Bay Parkade are kindof confusing.

I don't want to see it renamed to Enterprise Square though, for all of the reasons that the city rejected the plan.

But maybe something like HBC station, or Hudson Station? Keep the history, and avoid the confusion?

IKAN104
06-08-2008, 08:19 AM
What confusion do you mean? And how would using HBC station avoid confusion? Now I'm confused.

I actually agree with the naming committee's decision. But I didn't realize the 76th Ave station was to be named McKernan-Belgravia station. 7 Syllables. Now that's a mouthful. I wish they'd just picked one of the two neighbourhood names there instead of using both.

newfangled
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
^ there's an operating Bay store in downtown Edmonton, as there is in every other major Canadian city. That Bay store is not located at Bay station (well, 1 block north, or like 12 pedway connections). Hence, confusion.

Bay Station doesn't sound like a historic name - it sounds commercial. HBC Station is admitedly a less than ideal replacement. Hudson's Bay Station is too long (although maybe not, considering McKernan-Belgravia).

So Hudson Station. Or Enterprise Station (given that it's next to Commerce Place, Enbridge and CWB, and that it looks like a spaceship).

The desire to acknowledge the past is fine. But this kindof high-mindedness lead to "West Jasper Place" being a nowhere-place that existed only in ETS jargon for a decade. Eventually you have to give up and admit that WEM actually exists, and that the Bay has moved on.

moahunter
06-08-2008, 09:08 AM
KEEP IT BAY
I agree - this is a total waste of time, and resources (changing all the signs / maps, etc.). Even if it was renamed, everyone would still call it Bay station.

raz0469
06-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Leave it as is. There's no need for a change.

Brentk
06-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Come on it is an easy solution surprised Edmonton didn't suggest it since they are pro's at it:

Hudson Bay Station at The University of Alberta Education centre at Enterprise Square

MylesC
06-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Keep it as Bay. That's the only thing left showing some of the grand history of the building as an HBC store.

Edmontonfan
06-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Come on it is an easy solution surprised Edmonton didn't suggest it since they are pro's at it:

Hudson Bay Station at The University of Alberta Education centre at Enterprise Square

Or HBSTUAECES Station - for short:)

RichardS
06-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Bay Station....Bay.

The_Cat
06-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Keep it as the Bay Station. I don't think there will be any confusion.

Montreal has Pie IX station, and there is no confusion with Olympic Stadium.

richardW
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Keep it BAY. short and sweet. just rolls off the tongue.

kona
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I am a little confused.

People are fine with Bay Station, which was so named because there was a Bay store - a commercial business - at that location when the station was built. There is a very tenuous historic link as the same company was one of the principal reasons Edmonton exists (the other being the Natives that were here first) at that location has limited if any historical significance, except from a pure business perspective (plus the bay is owned by Americans anyways - maybe they will change it to the Lord and Taylor station).

But people are against Enterprise Square station that is for an educational institution that educates and contributes far more to our city and our well being than the Bay or HBC ever did. (I kinda like Enterprise Station being a Trekkie and all ;) and of course the strong cultural and national identity ties to William Shatner)

And people wonder why I am disappointed in the general attitude in Edmonton....

Wrecker
07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
^Cause we know what the bay is. WTF is enterprise square??? It has no meaning & is kind of a dumb name...similar to the source by cicuit city. The U of A could have honored its location & named the building accordingly (the Bay Block???). But thats Canada for ya....just keep changing things.

moahunter
07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
^Cause we know what the bay is. WTF is enterprise square??? It has no meaning & is kind of a dumb name...similar to the source by cicuit city. The U of A could have honored its location & named the building accordingly (the Bay Block???). But thats Canada for ya....just keep changing things.
Agreed - if enterprise square gets replaced by a Future Shop in 20 years - would we call it Future Shop Station? Now - if enterprise square wants to sponsor the station - perhaps pay a naming fee, like Rexall Place or similar .... but otherwise, I don't see why the City should keep giving free advertising.

Medwards
07-08-2008, 09:14 AM
We didn't change the name of coliseum station when the coliseum was renamed... why should we rename bay station?

Next!

etownboarder
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
We didn't change the name of coliseum station when the coliseum was renamed... why should we rename bay station?

Next!

Good point.

RichardS
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I am a little confused.

People are fine with Bay Station, which was so named because there was a Bay store - a commercial business - at that location when the station was built. There is a very tenuous historic link as the same company was one of the principal reasons Edmonton exists (the other being the Natives that were here first) at that location has limited if any historical significance, except from a pure business perspective (plus the bay is owned by Americans anyways - maybe they will change it to the Lord and Taylor station).

But people are against Enterprise Square station that is for an educational institution that educates and contributes far more to our city and our well being than the Bay or HBC ever did. (I kinda like Enterprise Station being a Trekkie and all ;) and of course the strong cultural and national identity ties to William Shatner)

It is nothing to do with the history of HBC, but more to do with why rename things over and over and over.

Bay is simple. Bay was there from day 1. There is NOTHING stopping the folks at the U for asking for a huge sign or otherwise that says ENTERPRISE SQUARE - THATAWAY....

RichardS
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Next!

yup

etownboarder
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Bay is simple. Bay was there from day 1. There is NOTHING stopping the folks at the U for asking for a huge sign or otherwise that says ENTERPRISE SQUARE - THATAWAY....

The signs are already there. There's no need to rename the station.

grish
07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
while i prefer enterprise station to Bay station, it helps me accept the present reality when I choose to focus on Hudson Bay--a great body of water that is a very significant part of the canadian geography. with that in mind, i no longer object to the name :)

Wrecker
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
We went metric, but I still check my vehicles mileage........in mpg :)

kcantor
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
If it gats renamed then Corona also has to go...why change any names, it's a link to the past.
now now, instead of renaming corona i think we should name them all after well recognized brands of beer.

after all, that would be the canadian way, eh? :)

besides, why on earth would we think that station names should be selected - or changed as the case may be - to make ridership easier for the system's passengers? after all, they will soon learn that if they want to go to enterprise centre they should get off at the bay station but if they want to go to the bay they might be better going to churchill and walking past what used to be the bay after they moved from the bay but before they moved to what is the bay but is now called lord and taylor.

and if we really wanted to ensure respect for the history and the heritage that is edmonton (other than to stop demolishing it), we could put all the station names on rotating or electronic boards and randomly change them every few days. just think of how valuable that would be for the city as all of the system's passengers would have that many more opportunities to explore parts of the city they may have just read the name of but not otherwise managed to know and respect.

and if we really, really wanted to be creative, we could ensure that system tickets would be dispensed with a randomly generated station name regardless of where that station might be located on any particular day. we could then fine passengers for departing at an unnamed/wrong station and use the monies to ensure that all of the stations remain graffiti and poster and panhandler free regardless of what they are called. besides, think of how cool it would be to leave for work from heineken station and come home to carling with a case of moosehead...

what in the world are they thinking? or should we be asking what world they live in?

kona
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
^good one ken

kona
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Agreed - if enterprise square gets replaced by a Future Shop in 20 years - would we call it Future Shop Station? Now - if enterprise square wants to sponsor the station - perhaps pay a naming fee, like Rexall Place or similar .... but otherwise, I don't see why the City should keep giving free advertising.

Why not? The Bay station was originally named for the Bay, a commercial business.

kona
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I am a little confused.

It is nothing to do with the history of HBC, but more to do with why rename things over and over and over.

Exactly.

The article points out the reasoning of the commission in their decision for example it states "the committee decided it wouldn't be appropriate to name a public facility for a private building," well it was essentially named the Bay station for a private building originally. And although HBC has a long history other stations could just have easily been named to honour that history and perhaps even more appropriately such as Grandin which is very close to one of the original fort sites.

My point is the rational for the decision could be argued in a different way. I am indifferent to the name as has been pointed people will learn that enterprise square is at the bay station or the bay is located close to Churchill, etc.

But why not boldly go where no man has gone before and name it for our future and not dwell on the past!

At least they made a decision, lets hope other committees and council continue to make decisions instead of studying things to death

RTA
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Edmonton has destroyed or lost too much of its history and connections to its past already. Leave it as "Bay."

Saying we should change it just because The Bay is a commercial entity doesn't do justice to the long and rich history of The Hudson' Bay Company, a history that is inseparable from the history of Canada, and the history of Edmonton. It is one of the world's oldest corporations from my understanding, and even though it is now American-owned, its history makes it very much Canadian still to this day, and the founding of Fort Edmonton as a Hudson's Bay trading post makes it just as Edmontonian as the University of Alberta (which, I may remind you, already has three stations named for it - University, Health Sciences, and South Campus).

The Bay Building has similar standing in our downtown core. Enterprise Square is still "The Bay Building" as most people know it, its history and carved relief crests are an undeniable link to that name. Sure it sat empty for too long, so did many of our downtown buildings. That has changed now, but the history remains the same. It is The Bay Building. At Bay Station.

Anyone who can't figure out what station to get off at because it doesn't have the name of the building above it should probably get help getting dressed in the morning. These people would be devastated if they ever had to go to the Winspear (Churchill), Rexall Place (Coliseum) or - God forbid - Telus Plaza (Central).

Wrecker
11-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Why not? The Bay station was originally named for the Bay, a commercial business.

Well, Rockefeller Center hasn't been renamed, even though it's no longer owned by the family.

etownboarder
13-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Send LRT's old names down the tube
The Edmonton Journal
Published: 2:34 am

It seems that we're never far away from a spirited discussion over Edmonton's Light Rail Transit system.

The actual topics surrounding the trains vary widely, often igniting surprisingly emotional responses.

The flashpoints of late have centred around expansion of the system, namely its rising cost, government commitment, timetable for completion and most contentiously, where the lines will run.

Recently, the LRT was invoked in the wrangling over the purchase of new trolley buses, eventually rejected. And making a wise decision to build station access in advance of the new EPCOR headquarters made headlines.

Not surprisingly, people can also get upset over station violence, service interruptions, irritating waits and the evergreen subject of inadequate transit vision by councils past. Given the same initial government funding, Calgary's line is much more extensive and consequently, over four times busier.

Add it all up, and that's a lot of energy expended for a relatively tiny conveyance that includes only 11 stations. Which makes it seem odd that little of our civic obsession has spilled over into debate on the vital question of station names.

Full Story: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/opinion/story.html?id=7e904824-fd1a-4a8a-9765-a9e0d34d4320

etownboarder
13-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Check out the rest of this opinion piece, it's very funny...

sundance
13-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Nah leave it Bay station, that building while severely alterred (negatively in my view) is a historic site, we have too few of them left. Maybe they should put something on the concourse about the Hudson's Bay Company and its role in Canada's development.

Whats next, Hop's Handbags station, no wait they folded too, after destroying a historic building as well.

IanO
28-01-2009, 12:02 PM
ow unfortunate...

LRT's Bay Station renamed Bay/Enterprise Square

EDMONTON — LRT passengers, stay alert — Bay Station has been renamed Bay/Enterprise Square.

Council’s executive committee approved the change Wednesday after the University of Alberta lost an application to call the station Enterprise Square to help direct transit riders to its downtown campus in the former Bay building.

“It was kind of a popular opinion that the Bay in some form stay in the name of the LRT station,” said naming committee chair Donna Zimmer.

The station was given its original name when it opened in 1981 to mark the store location and honour the Hudson Bay Co., says a city report.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Station+renamed+Enterprise+Square/1227332/story.html

DTrobotnik
28-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Obama did bring change!

etownboarder
28-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Meh, what a waste of time/money. I hope they hold off on updating any signs until the new signage is put up for the SLRT extension.

etownboarder
28-01-2009, 12:24 PM
And now they want to change the name of Health Sciences stations to Health Sciences/Jubilee. Is anyone else wondering why the names have to be so ridiculously long?

In February, the naming committee will hear a request from the Jubilee Auditorium to rename the nearby Health Sciences station Health Sciences/Jubilee.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Station+renamed+Enterprise+Square/1227332/story.html

Medwards
28-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, seems like the uofa is covering the costs...

The university will pay about $25,000 to erect new signs in and around the station, at Jasper Avenue and 103rd Street, and put in new recorded announcements on LRT trains, the report says.

grish
28-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Good move. lets move on.

etownboarder
28-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, seems like the uofa is covering the costs...

The university will pay about $25,000 to erect new signs in and around the station, at Jasper Avenue and 103rd Street, and put in new recorded announcements on LRT trains, the report says.

Yes, I just hope that they hold off on changing all the signs in the LRT cars, in the LRT stations, maps, etc until all the stations are named... It seems that the U of A is only paying the cost of changing the name in and around Bay station, not on the rest of the LRT line. I could be wrong there...

Titanium48
28-01-2009, 12:41 PM
And now they want to change the name of Health Sciences stations to Health Sciences/Jubilee. Is anyone else wondering why the names have to be so ridiculously long?

It's not that bad. Calgary has Bridgeland/Memorial and SAIT/ACAD/Jubilee.

IanO
28-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Good move. lets move on.

unnecessary move, waste of time and money, lets move on

RTA
28-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Ridiculous. I like the U of A, but three LRT stations named for it was enough, especially considering that this is a rename of station named for a historical company/building.

"But Mayor Stephen Mandel said names should change to make it easier to get around."

In that case we should rename a few others, too:
Corona: Procura/Oil City/First Edmonton Place Station
Central: Telus Plaza/Rice Howard/Scotia Place/RBC/Commerce Place Station
Churchill: Churchill/Law Courts/AGA/City Hall/Century Place/Winspear/Citadel/Library/City Centre Station

"In February, the naming committee will hear a request from the Jubilee Auditorium to rename the nearby Health Sciences station Health Sciences/Jubilee."

We're well on our way.

LindseyT
28-01-2009, 01:09 PM

In February, the naming committee will hear a request from the Jubilee Auditorium to rename the nearby Health Sciences station Health Sciences/Jubilee.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Station+renamed+Enterprise+Square/1227332/story.html

At least it's not Grand Prix long. ;) The University of Alberta presents Bay Station at Enterprise Square.

IanO
28-01-2009, 01:21 PM
The University of Alberta presents Bay Station at Enterprise Square presented by Coca-Cola and its monopoly on campus products.

sundance
28-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Okay the this thread and;
"Bay LRT vs Enterprise Square Station" thread should be merged

As U of Eh is paying for it I'm sort of indifferent to the change. But I guess if people feel strongly about it complain to their councilor at 780-496-8110 or Citizens Action Center at 311

Medwards
28-01-2009, 05:00 PM
^ merged. Good call

moahunter
28-01-2009, 05:03 PM
As U of Eh is paying for it I'm sort of indifferent to the change.
But who pays for the U of Eh? The bulk of it, is not paid for by students and their loans, it is payed for by U and me taxpayer. U of Eh quite often asks for more money too - maybe they'd wouldn't have to ask so often, if they didn't keep wasting the money they have, on things like signs? How about providing education instead?

Medwards
28-01-2009, 05:08 PM
25000 isn't that much money.

moahunter
28-01-2009, 05:11 PM
25000 isn't that much money.
Maybe not - just a quarter of a professor salary, or an extra cleaning lady, or part time tutor jobs for a half dozen students. But how much time and effort has gone into lobbying for this? That has an opportunity cost too. It just illustrates to me, that the priorities, the things a University should be spending time on (improving education to students, etc.), don't seem to be the priorities of UofA sometimes - which makes me wonder what else they are wasting money on, all the while crying for more funding?

Medwards
28-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I dont mean to be rude, but you seem to think that businesses, government, and people can't do more then one thing at once. I can multi-task (heck... I do it all the time... including right now). You don't need to put all your eggs in one basket. A major organization such as the uofa can do many things at once... this is a very very very minor thing, and you are making it out like they are removing students rooms just so they can save money to make this change. Hardly the case.

moahunter
28-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't mean to be rude but you seem to think any spending is ok, as long as its "small". I think there needs to be a reason. But what is the reason for this Medwards? I don't see businesses going out and buying the rights to LRT station names today - I only see government organizations trying to use their influence to do so - maybe that's because they aren't as accountable to anyone? I don't see 25k (and I am sure the cost is much higher than that, when you consider the lobbying backwards and forward that has gone on to make this happen - which has consumed salaried time) as a minor minor thing - not when students are struggling to get by.

edmonton daily photo
28-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Just use Univesity central, university, Slightly south og Univiersity and really south of univrsity.

And then we can change the name of the LRT to the university express and up the monthy buss passes and student tution fees to pay for it all.

after all that I say change it. The Bay isn't paying anything to us to advertise their brand. Just call it Enterprise Square and drop the station, but I agree that we rename things tooooooooooooo often.

Edmonton PRT
28-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Don't forget Rexall/Northlands Station and the Old Fort Road/Parts Source/Londonderry Casino Station and Superstore/Costco/Petsmart Station :D

DTrobotnik
28-01-2009, 06:36 PM
UofA owns the building, and is the future of that building/block. Of course it's in their best interest of changing the name. They are NOW and they deserve the recognition of being a major community player. If things didn't change, the world would be a crappy place to live. This isn't even an issue of history preservation - I can't believe how many of you "forward" types are having issues with this...

MylesC
28-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Bay is staying part of the name, like Grandin/gov't Centre. It's cool.

ike9126
28-01-2009, 10:02 PM
grandin/ gov centre, mckernan belgravia, bay/ enterprise square, health sciences/ jubilee is supposed to be next. this is getting to be stupid, in support of whats been said above

richardW
28-01-2009, 10:35 PM
change for the sake of change. i love it.

anyway who is actually going to use the full name anyways. I am pretty sure everyone will just still say "Bay Station"

Sonic Death Monkey
28-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Are they going to change "Coliseum" to either "Rexall Place" or "Northlands"? The arena hasn't been called a Coliseum for many years now.

DTrobotnik
29-01-2009, 02:09 AM
change for the sake of change. i love it.

anyway who is actually going to use the full name anyways. I am pretty sure everyone will just still say "Bay Station"

for the sake of staying current to a functional community;) as a newly reno'd building and brand, they want what's theirs. not a big deal. renewed buildings/areas need this kind of "advertising" otherwise "revitilisation" as a concept is pointless. and yes, people will say bay, but new generations won't (this, of course, at a time when downtown is a busy destination spot)

MylesC
29-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Considering the Bay lobbied HEAVILY to get that station added (it wasn't originally planned) and probably did some contribution to it in the first place...why is it all of the sudden wrong that the UofA did the same?

Esoko
29-01-2009, 06:48 AM
From what I understand the U of A will be footing the bill for the name change, but I still think it's a bad idea and a waste of time. Yes the Bay store isn't there anymore but the building still stands. Until we got to Health Science station, I actually liked the names of our stations, but Enterprise Square station is just silly.

JBear
29-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Why wouldn't they change Central Station to Bay Station and Bay Station to Enterprise Square? Now that would make sense, though cost more, which would make it out of the question.

Enterprise Square fits the station though. Not because it serves Enterprise Square, but because the station is 'futuristic' looking and looks like it came straight from an old Star Trek, and a Star Trek: The Next Generation set. I think that is what most people will think when they see the new station name.

Edmonton PRT
29-01-2009, 10:10 AM
From what I understand the U of A will be footing the bill for the name change.

Actually it comes from the 4.1% rise in tuition prices the UofA board just approved.

Barry N
29-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Are they going to change "Coliseum" to either "Rexall Place" or "Northlands"? The arena hasn't been called a Coliseum for many years now.

I think an appropriate name would be Coliseum/Temple of Suckiness :-)

moahunter
29-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Actually it comes from the 4.1% rise in tuition prices the UofA board just approved.
OK - its not so bad then - as long as students are paying rather than taxpayers. 25k here, then the stuff that doesn't hit the media... 5k there, 4k here, 17k there, etc... I guess students are happy to foot the bill.

Edmonton PRT
29-01-2009, 11:44 AM
^ yeah, students are rich and they are soooo proud that now they have a station called Enterprise Square that they don't mind that the UofA also raised their accommodations 8% as well. The UofA board went right to the maximum rate limits that Alberta law allows. Gotta keep those Corporate Universities profitable...

etownboarder
29-01-2009, 11:51 AM
^ yeah, students are rich and they are soooo proud that now they have a station called Enterprise Square that they don't mind that the UofA also raised their accommodations 8% as well. The UofA board went right to the maximum rate limits that Alberta law allows. Gotta keep those Corporate Universities profitable...

Oh yea, cause publicly funded universities around the province really make a profit.

grish
29-01-2009, 02:19 PM
the money doesn't come from tuition or the tax payers or the corporate donors or the private donors. The money came from the University--they have the right to decide where their money goes. We are talking about spending change. lets not inflate the issue. no matter where the university gets its funding from, one of the things we can expect is the university to use whatever reasonable means it can to get its name out there. the city and the ets could have actually helped in recognition of the MVI--Most Valuable Institution this city has. Enough already with all the whining.

RTA
29-01-2009, 03:20 PM
^ This is all fine and good but - to segue back on topic - Bay Station belongs to all citizens of Edmonton, not the U of A. I think we have every right to be unhappy with this decision.

Edmonton PRT
29-01-2009, 03:29 PM
65% of respondents agree with you RTA.

Medwards
29-01-2009, 03:31 PM
^65 % of what respondents?

RTA
29-01-2009, 03:33 PM
^ The poll attached to this thread?

grish
29-01-2009, 03:35 PM
the poll says "this" or "that" and gives no background. the new name is not a poll option.

Edmonton PRT
29-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh! I didn't know the two choices were "This LRT Station" and "That LRT Station". I must have read the poll question wrong. I thought the choices were either Bay Station and Enterprise Square Station. :confused:

grish
29-01-2009, 05:38 PM
what is the new name of the station? find THAT in the poll BEFORE posting a reply in this thread.

Medwards
29-01-2009, 05:40 PM
ok... children... enough.

grish
29-01-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry, papa, got carried away. I am placing myself on a timeout until at least tomorrow.

Edmcowboy11
29-01-2009, 06:40 PM
The station should remain named "The Bay". If we change that name maybe we should change all the names.
Clareview - Superstore station
Belvadere - Century Casino Station
Colisium - Rexall Station or Oilers Station
Stadium - Eskimos Station
Churchill - Citadel/Canada Place/CBC/Library/Second Cup/Tix on the Square station
Central - Telus Station
Bay - Enterprise Square Station
Corona - Oil City Roadhouse Station

Do I need to go on?

kcantor
29-01-2009, 07:16 PM
The station should remain named "The Bay". If we change that name maybe we should change all the names.
Churchill - Citadel/Canada Place/CBC/Library/Second Cup/Tix on the Square station
Central - Telus Station

Do I need to go on?
from a previous thread about changing station names that started with possibly renaming corona:

now now, instead of renaming corona i think we should name them all after well recognized brands of beer.

after all, that would be the canadian way, eh? :smile:

besides, why on earth would we think that station names should be selected - or changed as the case may be - to make ridership easier for the system's passengers? after all, they will soon learn that if they want to go to enterprise centre they should get off at the bay station but if they want to go to the bay they might be better going to churchill and walking past what used to be the bay after they moved from the bay but before they moved to what is the bay but is now called lord and taylor.

and if we really wanted to ensure respect for the history and the heritage that is edmonton (other than to stop demolishing it), we could put all the station names on rotating or electronic boards and randomly change them every few days. just think of how valuable that would be for the city as all of the system's passengers would have that many more opportunities to explore parts of the city they may have just read the name of but not otherwise managed to know and respect.

and if we really, really wanted to be creative, we could ensure that system tickets would be dispensed with a randomly generated station name regardless of where that station might be located on any particular day. we could then fine passengers for departing at an unnamed/wrong station and use the monies to ensure that all of the stations remain graffiti and poster and panhandler free regardless of what they are called. besides, think of how cool it would be to leave for work from heineken station and come home to carling with a case of moosehead...

what in the world are they thinking? or should we be asking what world they live in?

highlander
29-01-2009, 08:37 PM
The ease of use thing is over-rated. I don't like the assumption that we are all illiterate and unable to use a map, especially coming from an institution of higher learning.

The problem I have is that 'Enterprise Square' is just one place that's accessible from Bay station. The bay is still only one block away, and the building is still legitimately the bay building, plus there's ING, CWB, Enbridge, Cecil Place, sobeys, The Downtown farmers market, and all with just as legitimate a claim on the name as The University of Alberta, with all due respect. The UofA already has 3 stations bearing it's name, there's no need for a 4th.

I wouln't mind if Coliseum and Stadium Stations were renamed, though. The names are very generic and both have much better options (Northlands or Alberta Avenue, and Commonwealth)

Edmonton PRT
29-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Central - Telus Station

Do I need to go on?

How about more historic names based upon the original locations of stations?
Clareview - Market Garden station
Belvadere - Rendering Plant Station
Colisium - Kirkness Lake (swamp) Station
Stadium - Rat Creek Dump Station
Do I need to go on?

grish
30-01-2009, 08:37 AM
How about we realize the significance of UofA in this community and go with the flow? Companies will come and go, but UofA in Edmonton is forever. I would rename whole neighbourhood to recognize the UofA. Sharing the name of a downtown station with UofA brand is a very good thing. With the dual name, people can still refer to it as the "Bay" for short.

Edmcowboy11
30-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Well I think the Bay name works just fine. The Bay building will always be the Bay building even if the UofA 30 years down the road decide to move out. I wouldn't mind seeing an addition to at least one station name though. Coliseum could be changed to Coliseum/Northlands Station. One other station that should be considered for a name change even though it hasn't opened yet is the Belgravia/Mckernan station. The reason for this is there could a be a bit of a confusion when talking about stations and seeing a clear difference between Belgravia and Belvadere. I think if they shortened the Belgravia/Mckernan name to only Mckernan that would work better, shorter and no confusion with any other station.

etownboarder
30-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Coliseum should simply be named Northlands.

Edmonton PRT
30-01-2009, 12:12 PM
New LRT Station names being proposed

Clareview - Highlander Station
Belvadere - Grish Station
Colisium - Edmcowboy Station
Stadium - Kcantor Station
Churchill - Moahunter Station
Central - Etownboarder Station
Bay - RTA Station
Corona - Medwards Station

Hope I made your day! :D

grish
30-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I can live with that. psst It's Belvedere.

Can you imagine a PRT system map. EdmontonPRT 1, EdmontonPRT 2, EdmontonPRT 3...

RTA
30-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I wonder...if I raise $25K, can I get my name tacked onto an LRT station?

grish
30-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I doubt it. I don't think you have done nearly enough for the city as compared to the U.

Edmonton PRT
30-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Psst! For $50K I can sell you Grandin Station and rename in Grish Station...;)

For $100K I can sell you the High Level Bridge as well...

grish
30-01-2009, 01:12 PM
it seems to me that with arguments like these, this thread is dead. Bye.

RTA
30-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I doubt it. I don't think you have done nearly enough for the city as compared to the U.

You don't know me. :p

Medwards
30-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd prefer to rename Grandin station to Medwards station, as that's the station closest to my home, and the one I usually use. (I wish the LRT went further into Oliver and Jasper/124)

Edmonton PRT
30-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd prefer to rename Grandin station to Medwards station, as that's the station closest to my home, and the one I usually use. (I wish the LRT went further into Oliver and Jasper/124)

Ok, Deal! Please send $25,000 in an unmarked brown envelope to the Reelect Rod Blagojevich campaign Fund

Yours truly

Rod

lightrail
30-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Ok, Deal! Please send $25,000 in an unmarked brown envelope to the Reelect Rod Blagojevich campaign Fund

Yours truly

Rod

How does this sound:

Visitor: "Excuse me, how to I get to Churchill Square"

Edmonton Transit "Oh, that's easy. Catch the #17 Farmer Construction Ltd. bus on "Royal Bank Investments Ltd. Street Number 5" and take it to "Save-on-Foods Station. Get the Telus Mobility (trains run every 10 minutes, but you can check the Starbucks Monitors for departure times) to Rogers Square Station. Follow the signs for Microsoft Plaza. Good luck.

lightrail
30-01-2009, 10:29 PM

True - Vancouver renamed Main street to Main Street/Science Word - the only person who calles it by the full name is the train's computer - to everybody else it is still just Main Street. In fact, the renovations to the station will just have Main Street.

Vancouver also renamed Joyce to Joyce-Collingwood - it is still just called Joyce (except by the automatic train and bus announciators).

The new Canada line has some of th elongest names of any station in Vancouver - to me is is just stupid. For Example "Langara - 49th", "Oakridge - 41 st" and "Broadway - City Hall" - why not just 49th, 41st and Broadway?

London Underground has resisted many attempts to rename stations. They just renamed one station on the Hammersmith and City Line from Sheppard's Bush to Sheppard's Bush Market. But that still leaves two unconnected stations called Sheppard's Bush (one on the Central Line and one on the West London Line).

Edmonton PRT
30-01-2009, 10:51 PM
How does this sound:

Visitor: "Excuse me, how to I get to Churchill Square"

Edmonton Transit "Oh, that's easy. Catch the #17 Farmer Construction Ltd. bus on "Royal Bank Investments Ltd. Street Number 5" and take it to "Save-on-Foods Station. Get the Telus Mobility (trains run every 10 minutes, but you can check the Starbucks Monitors for departure times) to Rogers Square Station. Follow the signs for Microsoft Plaza. Good luck.

Good one Lightrail.
Remember Skyreach Centre anyone?

I still call places by their more common names like the Downtown Library, the Coliseum, Capilano Freeway and I still call it the Christmas Holidays.

Sonic Death Monkey
31-01-2009, 10:46 AM
One other station that should be considered for a name change even though it hasn't opened yet is the Belgravia/Mckernan station. The reason for this is there could a be a bit of a confusion when talking about stations and seeing a clear difference between Belgravia and Belvadere. I think if they shortened the Belgravia/Mckernan name to only Mckernan that would work better, shorter and no confusion with any other station.
How about Bel-Mac?

jstock
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/ets-community-fair.aspx

It appears the name change for Health Sciences has gone forward.
Health Sciences/Jubilee Station.

I assume they are going to be redoing the signage at Bay and Health Sciences the same time when they do the sweep of every station with the new maps and alert systems.

Cleisthenis
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
This whole issue of re-naming stations has really annoyed me. Honestly, what was wrong with Bay Station? In terms of usability and access, shorter less complicated station names are always the best. Same goes for McKernan - Belgravia. Name it according to whichever neighbourhood that side of the street happens to be and let that be the end of it.

People who use the system on a daily basis know where they're going and which station to get off at, so in theory we could name a station "Spaghetti and Meatballs" and people would know to get on and off there.

Visitors or others who are using the system for the first time will have likely found where to go either with Google, or specific directions from family, friends or colleagues. In that case too, it doesn't matter because the person is more than likely not familiar with the names of the area anyways...

i.e. "Go to the bus and get off at LRT station X then get off at Y. Walk six blocks and voila..."

So in the end, while station names do matter because they can honour the heritage of a community or an area, at the end of the day it doesn't REALLY matter, and if anything the simpler named stations are the most effective:

1) Bay
2) Belgravia
3) Jubilee

Thoughts?

bicycles
09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
This whole issue of re-naming stations has really annoyed me. Honestly, what was wrong with Bay Station? In terms of usability and access, shorter less complicated station names are always the best. Same goes for McKernan - Belgravia. Name it according to whichever neighbourhood that side of the street happens to be and let that be the end of it.

People who use the system on a daily basis know where they're going and which station to get off at, so in theory we could name a station "Spaghetti and Meatballs" and people would know to get on and off there.

Visitors or others who are using the system for the first time will have likely found where to go either with Google, or specific directions from family, friends or colleagues. In that case too, it doesn't matter because the person is more than likely not familiar with the names of the area anyways...

i.e. "Go to the bus and get off at LRT station X then get off at Y. Walk six blocks and voila..."

So in the end, while station names do matter because they can honour the heritage of a community or an area, at the end of the day it doesn't REALLY matter, and if anything the simpler named stations are the most effective:

1) Bay
2) Belgravia
3) Jubilee

Thoughts?

Definitely agree with you, though I think the Belgravia McKernan station should have been called McBel or something cool.

Edmcowboy11
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Only name change could be changing Belgravia/McKernan to simply McKernan.

Cleisthenis
14-04-2009, 04:37 PM
How much did it cost the U of A to petition for the name change? I'm sure we could petition average Edmontonians to pressure the change back to something simpler...

jstock
21-04-2009, 07:11 PM
^^ I believe they paid the $25k for signage change. I don't have a link to the article handy but that is an accurate figure.

Edmcowboy11
22-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey how bout just rename it Enterprise station and add the slogan "Where people boldly go where no one has gone before."