PDA

View Full Version : Old Edmonton not Downtown East

Breezy_Bri
04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
The City has a plan for the redevelopment of the east part of downtown and they call the area Downtown East but it is also the original site of the City. What about acknowledging the history of the area in its name and calling it what it is, "Old Edmonton"

p.s. I don't really know what you are supposed to do in this forum if you want to comment on the posts that are in response to your own. Do you add them in here like this or do you post a comment on your own comment ?

Anyway I wasn't really trying to say anything about the concept of preservation as I imagine no one was trying to say anything about the concept of direction when they decided to call it Downtown East. I just plainly think it is a better name. Even if there were no original buildings left in the area I think it is a better name. Maybe perhaps they should call Old Strathcona, Southside North Central.

Fell
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Because Edmonton is quite well known for having torn down all its classic structures during its last booms the concept of preservation is not synonymous with the city. We have nothing "old" here. Just my thoughts.

howyadoin'
04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I believe the above statement to be somewhat untrue. I, agree in areas where most of the old was torn down years ago ie: Oliver, which (apparently) had mostly single dwellings. Now for the most part it's all apartments.

However, their are still vast chunks of "old Edmonton" that are still standing ie: the Hardware Grill marks the beginning of this walk. Beside Hardware' to the East is Hub Hotel, then it's the old Gem Theatre, and it goes on. At the end of this line is of course the "Flat Iron" building. As well this area also boasts other Hitorical buildings. So I wouldn't say castrophically (sp?) that all the "old" buidlings have been torn down.

In fact, as I noted above, The entire North side of Jasper, East of Canda Place is in fact "orginal". Once the proposed Redevelopments are completed, should make for quite a charming area. :wink:

Edmcowboy11
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Instead of calling it old edmonton, how bout old town Edmonton, or the historic distric or something. Actually historic district could be good considering that the Ukrainian museum will be in that area.

DanC
05-11-2006, 02:03 AM
I dunno, I think East Jasper has a nice ring to it...

IanO
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I dunno, I think East Jasper has a nice ring to it...

agreed...let's put more energy into redeveloping and less into naming.

MylesC
06-11-2006, 08:39 AM
It's been known as East Jasper for quite some time. An aunt and uncle of mine have lived in Riverdale since the 1940s and that's what they call the area :?

Let's just get it redeveloped :)

LindseyT
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
how bout old town Edmonton

If anyone suggests olde town Edmonton I might go postal.

grish
06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
How about Olde Towne Edmonton?

:P :wink:

murman
06-11-2006, 12:03 PM
how bout old town Edmonton

If anyone suggests olde town Edmonton I might go postal.

Geographically, that's workable.

Funk E-Town
06-11-2006, 01:46 PM
If the "Old" is what bothers people - go the other way with "Newtown".

Although if done well, I think the first major development will likely re-brand the area (i.e. a new Arena could give Edmonton its Sports Center - yes - the spelling is on purpose... or take it further with Sports Central)

Edmcowboy11
06-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Well if it isn't officially named, when someone asks what's the name of that area we can say, "oh that's the streets with no name" :)

Has anyone heard anything current happening in that area. As far as I can tell the only 2 projects going on is the redevellopment of the market building and the proposed plan for the Ukrainian museum.

And to repeat my comment from another posting I made, I still think that unless there is plenty more devellopment of a chinese background in the Jasper East area, the city should consider moving (not destroy, but move) the chinese gate.

ThomasH
06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
There already is a street called Olde Towne Beverly.
Unfortunately, Beverly isn't very old.

Sonic Death Monkey
08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm sure that if a public vote was held, the "Boyle Street" tag will be retained for the area.

uberurban
09-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Jeez i hope not. One street named Boyle is fine but the ' hole' area... yuck... Boyle street... look at it fester :roll:

onishenko
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
There already is a street called Olde Towne Beverly.
Unfortunately, Beverly isn't very old.

And it's a dive. The revitalization project there did not work. It's the lipstick on the pig theory. Sometimes it takes a lot more then new lights and trees.

As per naming "east downtown"...or "east Jasper", I suggested at the meetings to go with something classic like the "east Village". Sure, it's the same as NY and even Calgary's revitalization plans, but who cares... it sounds good.