PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Open house

IanO
02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Unique no-charge exhibition of region's dynamic, new projects

Dream Big Edmonton! on Nov. 18 at SCC Open House

An unprecedented opportunity to preview more than 50 dynamic, new projects in Greater Edmonton -- large and small -- will take place on Saturday, Nov. 18, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Hall D of the Shaw Conference Centre (SCC).

Projects already registered range from new office towers , to oilsands upgraders and important road works ... to new facilities for culture, health and education. Other projects on display will include high-tech developments, tourism events, new parks and recreation amenities, neighborhood-specific revitalization zones and many other projects destined to shape our region's future.

Connect2Edmonton (www.connect2edmonton.com), Edmonton's popular new 'town hall community,' will also be participating to collect the region's leading ideas as part of a contest offering return airfare to London, England -- Edmonton's newest non-stop air service.

Dream Big Edmonton! is a free-to-all event organized by Edmonton Economic Development Corp. as part of the SCC's first community open house.

The SCC Open House will allow the public to experience Hall D, Edmonton's much-acclaimed new conference venue with a spectacular view of the North Saskatchewan River Valley. The SCC Open House will also feature behind-the-scenes tours, Festival City-style entertainment, family activites and refreshments.

Newly unveiled elements of SCC's public art program will also be on display. Open house visitors can view artist Donald Moar's colourful DREAM.big artwork panels already installed off Jasper Avenue; a unique outdoor sculpture display soon to be erected in the new DREAM.big plaza; and a special preview of Clay Ellis's spectacular artwork chosen for three of Hall D's lobby walls.

The Shaw Conference Centre is Greater Edmonton's flagship hospitality venue and one of Canada's largest convention centres.

[/b]

grish
02-11-2006, 02:27 PM
an Open House! that is so simple, yet so creative. I like it. Maybe I'll even be there...

Sonic Death Monkey
02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I'll be there. In fact, I'll be the one walking up and down Jasper Ave in front of Hall D, looking for the front entrance! :wink:

LO 044
16-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Airport expansion plans showcased at Dream Big Edmonton!

EDMONTON Ė Edmonton Airports will unveil the latest plans for its $200-million expansion project at Edmonton International Airport (EIA) during the Shaw Conference Centre Open House . . . Dream Big Edmonton! exhibit Nov.18 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

See where the airport will expand over the next three years and in the long-term. Learn about Port Alberta, the new vision to establish EIA as a major multi-modal hub, combining air, road, rail and shipping links (via the Port of Prince Rupert and Port of Vancouver).

Edmonton Airports is pleased to participate in the Dream Big Edmonton! exhibit with more than 50 other organizations and businesses. The event is an opportunity for all Greater Edmonton residents to learn more about major new initiatives in the region that will drive future growth and prosperity.

Itís also a chance to experience one of Canadaís most impressive conference facilities, including the magnificent new Hall D. Admission is free for everyone along with behind-the-scenes tours, Festival City entertainment, activities and refreshments.

The Shaw Conference Centre (SCC) is Edmontonís Centre of Attention, the regionís flagship hospitality venue and one of Canada's largest convention centres. Managed by Edmonton Economic Development Corp., the SCC provides high standards of customer service and award-winning culinary excellence while contributing an estimated annual economic impact of $42 million to the region.
It will be nice to see the expansion plans for YEG. See you guys there.

Sonic Death Monkey
17-11-2006, 06:25 PM
From Graham Hicks' column:
http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Hicks_Graham/2006/11/17/2390882.html

WHAT THEY'RE UP TO

Might not be everybody's idea of a fun Saturday, but I'm intrigued to see what the city boosters, economic developers, business associations and Edmonton Airports decide to show us at the Shaw Conference Centre open house tomorrow,10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The idea is to publicize regional initiatives leading to (sustainable) growth and prosperity forever ... and for the unwashed public to wander through the new Hall D with its magnificent river view - swiped, unfortunately, from Jasper Avenue.

P.S. The open house is free and should have freebies.

Sonic Death Monkey
17-11-2006, 07:26 PM
BTW, will there be a model of the RAM there?

RichardS
17-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, it is there...

Sonic Death Monkey
18-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I've been watching Global News this morning, and the lovely Seanna Collins has been doing her on-location thing at this open house. She even interviewed our friend RichardS at the C2E booth.

Sonic Death Monkey
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
We need another one of these conferences. Is once a year too much?

LindseyT
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
/\ The same thing crossed my mind a couple nights ago...when I first opened this page I thought I missed it...until I realized it was last years.

RichardS
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
From what I understand, this was named to be launched with the artwork in front of Hall D...but yes, this should be yearly.

IN January...

a "What's in store for the future" bit...

Sonic Death Monkey
16-10-2008, 10:56 PM
There needs to be another Dream Big open house.

ThomasH
16-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh rats, I thought this was a new event until I looked at the date of the first post, and I agree, we need another dream big open house.

JBear
17-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Did anyone take any pictures of anything?

DebraW
17-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I know that pictures were taken. Are there specific projects/pictures that you are interested in?

DebraW
17-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Article about the "Dream Big" concept and C2E's Top Ten Ideas.

http://www.edmonton.com/categorydocuments/C2E_30/Examiner%20-%20Jan%2010.%202007.pdf

JBear
17-10-2008, 02:00 PM
any pictures showing the whole event. Nothing in specific.

DebraW
17-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I will check.

Kenn
17-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I can't believe that it's already been about three years since EEDC staged Dream Big Edmonton. It was a very unique, memorable and successful event.

Much has happened in our region since then ... and so there's a good case to make for a follow-up event.

I'll take the idea forward for discussion.

What new projects would C2E members like to see profiled if another Dream Big Edmonton event was held?

DebraW
17-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Well... since you asked!

YEG - the expansion and EIA "We'll move you" projects
SW Recreation Centre project
The Edmonton Public Art Master Plan
(Potential) SCC expansion
Northlands Evolution.09 expansion
Edmonton Transportation plans
Quality of Life programs in GEA (I just happen to have some connections...)

Sonic Death Monkey
17-10-2008, 04:56 PM
- Worlds Fair 2017
- reno plans of Legislature grounds
- nLRT
- wLRT options
- new downtown plan
- Stationlands incl new EPCOR tower and possible new Portrait Gallery
- new/proposed downtown office buildings and condos
- river valley park plans incl McKinney
- Gateway Blvd from Whyte Ave to downtown incl new bridge
- new downtown arena