PDA

View Full Version : my crazy idea

uberurban
02-11-2006, 12:42 AM
K, I didn't really read the rules. Are you allowed to slam your own idea, cause I'll probably be doing that here. Yes I'm kinda critical. Maybe people here have noticed that, but thats why I thought of this Idea [the current situation is no good]. It's not revolutionary, It's pretty lame compared to crystal mountains and it's not like its never been thought of before. But it's not been done so...

Have city buses go back and forth to the airport. Better yet, buy the [apparently underused and nearly new] coaches from strathcona county and have one leaving the airport every 30-45 mins. There could be 3 or 4 different stops in the city similar to the airport shuttle. Hey.. the shuttle.. people can just use the shuttle you say, but that's not cheap and that new cab company thing is no deal either. Everybody already knows that.

Ya so this idea is really gonna win. The airport just signs a new taxi deal and I'm suggesting something that could wreck it.

Anyway, the positives would be that you'd get alot of people used to riding city buses that would never normally do so, and this might make them consider using city buses at other times. Even me, I can't remember the last time I rode a city bus. Maybe I never have. I've been on the LRT though. If this turned out to be really successful it could speed the way through for the LRT to the airport. [Yes I know other LRT legs are higher priority]

This would be fairly simple to impliment and would work well for anyone who's learned to travel light. Maybe not so good for those women who can't seem to go anywhere without a bag thats bigger than they are.

There's other positives to this, there's other negatives... but I seem to have forgot them all. And I thought I was really gonna crush this crazy idea. Oh well, maybe it's not so bad

amanzano
02-11-2006, 01:53 AM
it's so simple...it might actually work. I don't know if it's just me, but I have some strange recollection that this has been proposed in the past. then again... i could be wrong.

Only thing I'd like to see is this implemented with a park and ride. Truth is, it doesn't matter what we use...LRT/BRT/Bus...we just need some public transportation to the airport

RichardS
02-11-2006, 06:09 AM
UU - maybe retitle your idea? ;)

Glenco
02-11-2006, 08:51 AM
The biggest incentive to having a bus service to EIA is not for the traveler but for the people who work there. Most of the jobs are in the service industry and the pay is not great. If you do not have a vehicle and can not afford one a taxi ride at $40-60 one way is not an option. Like I said else where the city of Edmonton has to work with the city and county of Leduc to establish a bus service otherwise EIA could face a labour shortage.

RichardS
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I think the EIA already has this shortage, and this bus service would help alot to get some folks out there...

m0nkyman
02-11-2006, 09:42 AM
You're fricking kidding me. There's no bus service to the freaking airport!!! :shock: :shock: :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :?

That's insane.

uberurban
02-11-2006, 10:34 AM
my [not so] crazy idea?

Is that better? If I go and change the name at the top will that cause the first post to be tagged as edited?

I actually think about stuff like that :?

Yes the commutes of airport employees, thats another positive. That one fluttered in and out of me bwain as I was writing the proposal then I got sleepy and it didn't come back.

What about the negatives? It seems there must be some powerful hidden forces which have kept city buses away from the EIA all these years. some sort of secret society of taxi drivers, maybe. The Freecabbies? Opus Tax? I hope I'm not risking death by asking these questions... oh no... I heard a noise :shock:

Glenco
02-11-2006, 11:01 AM
My understanding, which could be wrong, is this. The city of Edmonton made a proposal to run a bus to the airport then on to the city of Leduc and back again. The Leduc county and city thought it was a great idea as long as Edmonton paid for it. Edmonton didn't want to pick up the tab as the airport is in the county of Leduc. The city of Edmonton does not receive any taxes from the airport and does not have the durisdiction to simply run a bus out there. You can not expect the Edmonton tax payer to pay for services in another municipality.

grish
02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
The biggest incentive to having a bus service to EIA is not for the traveler but for the people who work there. Most of the jobs are in the service industry and the pay is not great. If you do not have a vehicle and can not afford one a taxi ride at $40-60 one way is not an option. Like I said else where the city of Edmonton has to work with the city and county of Leduc to establish a bus service otherwise EIA could face a labour shortage.

not true... while in grad school, most of my fellow graduate students were from out of town. they mostly lived in and around university where a car isn't a requirement. they all found it difficult to get to/from airport. the number of such people is actually much bigger than many might think. and a very large percentage of these people had families in other parts of the world. Also, these are some of the most frequent fliers as they often have to get to different conferences and workshops in Canada, US, and overseas.

uberurban
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Ah ha! So it opens a whole big regional can of worms. I kinda figured it was a crazy idea. I give up. The boo-birds win this one. My vote goes to the crystal mountain. Except make it way bigger. From the top you could ski downhill to anywhere in the city or even all the way out to the airport :D

Fell
02-11-2006, 11:39 AM
As an addition to this concept, how about trams along Jasper and 104th servicing between 124th Street and East Downtown. People that move there have little need for automobiles, particularly if a heated tram could work to service the region.

:)

Glenco
02-11-2006, 11:40 AM

not true... while in grad school, most of my fellow graduate students were from out of town. they mostly lived in and around university where a car isn't a requirement. they all found it difficult to get to/from airport. the number of such people is actually much bigger than many might think. and a very large percentage of these people had families in other parts of the world. Also, these are some of the most frequent fliers as they often have to get to different conferences and workshops in Canada, US, and overseas.

Grish what is your point?

grish
02-11-2006, 12:48 PM
just to correct what you have said. the biggest incentive to having a bus is not just for the people who work there. there are many people who go to the airport to, well, travel...
the rest I agree with. there has to be a bus service to YEG. it is just not for the people who work there exclusively, but for everyone who goes there including many travelers.

m0nkyman
02-11-2006, 12:58 PM
The Edmonton Airports employ over 3500 people, most of them at the International. Let's call it 2000 people a day. That's 1,460,000 one way trips per year.

I think that's probably the biggest incentive to have airport bus service. Travel is secondary because most people don't want to carry their suitcases on the bus, so they get rides from their friends and family.

Glenco
02-11-2006, 04:51 PM
just to correct what you have said. the biggest incentive to having a bus is not just for the people who work there. there are many people who go to the airport to, well, travel...
the rest I agree with. there has to be a bus service to YEG. it is just not for the people who work there exclusively, but for everyone who goes there including many travelers.
No need to correct me. I said the BIGGEST incentive to having a bus service is for the people who work at EIA. They will generate the biggest ridership I am sure thereby making it viable for the people who are traveling.

grish
02-11-2006, 08:32 PM
i don't want the people to erroneously think that transit to the airport is to help the people who work there. if we have nearly 5.5 million people flying through the airport, surely we can capture a significant portion of those people and convince them to use public transit. if the biggest complaint is having luggage on the bus or, better yet, train--why not have luggage check-in and pick-up at the terminal inside the city? If such a system manages to attract 15-20% of people we have almost 1 million riding each year (current numbers). That's almost 3000 every day not including your airport staff. So, the BIGGEST incentive is and always will be the passengers--the people for whom we want to make travel in and out of Edmonton convenient.

uberurban
03-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow, people are still talking about this crazy idea of mine? It all just seems so... day and and half ago. I thought I was out, but with more responses than any other proposal here so far, they pulled me back in.

Since this topic is still around. If the city and Leduc can't agree on a way to share the service, the city on it's own could do a pilot project. Hire a Red Arrow or Diversified charter bus to go back and forth to the airport every hour from about 5 am to 12 midnight for a few months. Charge $15 a round trip. The customer pays the $15 on the way out and gets a ticket for the return trip they can use anytime over the next 90 days [or until the pilot project is abandoned]. As for airport workers, $30 a week or $90 a month and they can ride the bus as much as they want.

Have 2 stops in the city. One in the south end somewhere and one downtown

If it makes money, the city can buy some buses and expand the service as needed and then integrate it more with the regular city buses and LRT

I just forgot another potential problem with this idea. I have a short attention span :roll:

RichardS
03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
i don't want the people to erroneously think that transit to the airport is to help the people who work there. if we have nearly 5.5 million people flying through the airport, surely we can capture a significant portion of those people and convince them to use public transit. if the biggest complaint is having luggage on the bus or(...)

No, the biggest complaint will be stop....start....go 200 meters....stop....start.....go another 200 meters.....stop.....start.....

People working here is not the only reason why a bus would work, but thinking you are going to get a business person on anything else but an express route is not real. Then, your market becomes more point to point and the numbers shrink a bit. I am not saying that they WON'T take a bus, but with a decent sky shutte and taxi's, the incentive won't be that great vs LRT.

The bus will cater to workers and those who cannot afford to drive/taxi and those who can afford the transit time.

uberurban
03-11-2006, 01:58 PM
What I'm thinking of wouldn't involve a bunch of stops in the city. It would be an express

Maybe its just what you get used to, but I don't like the sky shuttle or taxis. They seem too cramped for one thing. I usually drive out and park at the airport. That seems ok. You pay $40 to park for a week. But one time when I arrived back after a week on the west coast there was 8 inches of snow on most of the vehicles out in the lot. There was none [or not much] when I'd left. So I couldn't find my truck right away. I had the general area right but it took 3-4 minutes to locate it. It was -20. As alluded to earlier... I travel light [so no big coat]. When you include the hike from the terminal through the unheated parkade and finally to long term parking, then to have to search for the vehicle and hope its starts right away, then let it warm up while scraping the windows. Add that all up, you're talking over 20 minutes shivering. Would have rather just jumped on a bus

but then again... I might be crazy

RichardS
03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I guess since I get disabled parking, my truck is easier to find... :p

Medwards
03-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Have city buses go back and forth to the airport. Better yet, buy the [apparently underused and nearly new] coaches from strathcona county

This is untrue. Strathcona County Transit is a well used service.

uberurban
03-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I wasn't refering to the entire strathcona transit service. I've never even seen them, but apparently there's some highway coaches that according to Fleogan aren't well used

You've seen the new lowriders? Nice looking buses. They also purchased at least two highway coaches, like a Greyhound or Red Arrow. Whenever I see them, they have no passengers.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117&highlight=#10117

W Wong
05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Ottawa city buses have a route that goes right out to their airport. Last year, on a long wait for my flight, I caught a bus right outside the terminal building, rode it all the way downtown. After I was done my sightseeing downtown, I took the same number back to the airport in time for my flight. All for the price of 2 tickets!

It isn't that far from Edmonton city limits to the EIA. It could cut down a lot of commuter traffic if it had a convenient schedule.

RichardS
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Convenient schedule combined with minimal stops, and you have a winner!

uberurban
05-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Yay... I'm the winner :D

Titanium48
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes, Edmonton definitely needs a bus to the airport. It should be a simple express route between the airport terminal and the (hopefully) soon to be built century park LRT station. Maybe run it to southgate untill the LRT gets to century park. Have 30 minute or better service from 05:00 till midnight using the small busses when demand is light and larger busses on a more frequent schedule when demand is heavier. Charge regular ETS fares, but without transfers to other busses, so an all-ETS trip from your house to the airport would cost two tickets ($3.70 or $4.50 cash). Also have a $90 monthly pass for both the airport service and regular ETS routes. Like W Wong mentioned, Ottawa has it right, time for us to get with the program.

Breezy_Bri
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
My understanding, which could be wrong, is this. The city of Edmonton made a proposal to run a bus to the airport then on to the city of Leduc and back again. The Leduc county and city thought it was a great idea as long as Edmonton paid for it. Edmonton didn't want to pick up the tab as the airport is in the county of Leduc. The city of Edmonton does not receive any taxes from the airport and does not have the durisdiction to simply run a bus out there. You can not expect the Edmonton tax payer to pay for services in another municipality.

this is an excelent idea to have the city run an express bus to the airport. surely there is a way to cut through the red tape Glenco has pointed out.
I don't imagine it would be just a regular ETS fare to take the trip and a reasonable fare should make the service pay for itself.

IKAN104
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, Edmonton definitely needs a bus to the airport. It should be a simple express route between the airport terminal and the (hopefully) soon to be built century park LRT station. Maybe run it to southgate untill the LRT gets to century park. Have 30 minute or better service from 05:00 till midnight using the small busses when demand is light and larger busses on a more frequent schedule when demand is heavier. Charge regular ETS fares, but without transfers to other busses, so an all-ETS trip from your house to the airport would cost two tickets ($3.70 or $4.50 cash). Also have a $90 monthly pass for both the airport service and regular ETS routes. Like W Wong mentioned, Ottawa has it right, time for us to get with the program.

That's it! Right there. I was reading and reading and reading through all the replies and finally somebody hit it right on the head.

A simple route from Century Park to EIA. The bus doesn't have to go downtown, it only has to get you from the airport to the city and vice versa.

Also, no stop in Leduc. Not only do they not want to pay but stopping in Leduc would make the ride much longer. Keep it simple I say.

Regular bus far but no transfer eligibility should cover the cost.

Why wouldn't that work? Is there some law against the city driving its busses into another county?

uberurban
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Yes, Leduc is definitely out since they don't seem to want to play along but I think a downtown [maybe not exactly downtown, but somewhere central with space for a park n ride] stop should be included as well as the southside stop. That way anyone from the more northern parts of the city could ride the LRT, any ETS bus, or drive to downtown and take the express bus to Century Park and then out to the airport. I think the chances of travelers from the north end using an express bus that only leaves from CP would be greatly diminished if they first had to ride on a bunch of other buses, or drive all the way over there. Once you've driven from the north end of the city to the south, you might as well continue to the airport.

Judi
11-11-2006, 10:30 AM
A regular city bus to the airport would be fantastic! Great idea!