PDA

View Full Version : Mount Edmonton

Breezy_Bri
01-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Build Mount Edmonton

My big idea for the City of Edmonton is to build a hollow artificial mountain over the north part of Bonnie Doon and Strathern. This is not something that could be done in the near future. It is something to be worked on and completed perhaps in next 20 to 50 years. Outlined at the bottom is a first stage which is relatively small and could probably be completed in the near future.

The structure would be a tetrahedron (a three sided pyramid), with the north side extending up from what is now the Edmonton Ski club. The idea is to have this north side serve as a major ski hill in the winter and provide additional seating for the folk festival. It would be constructed with snow machines and lifts built in. The other two sides, the south east and the southwest would be glass, enclosing the neighbor hood below in a all season summer environment. I leave it to the Engineers to fill in the details of how to maintain an appropriate atmosphere inside, although I would suggest that the heating systems could be geothermal and it would probably be necessary to prohibit fuel burning machines inside. The peak would be a ski lodge and a LRT station.
There would be a gondola that would be part of the LRT system going north from the peak down to Cloverdale and up to Jasper Avenue near the Convention Centre. Of less importance the gondola line could extend south to Whyte Avenue as well.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/ME1.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/MEtopview.jpg
The results would be:
1. a major ski resort within minutes of downtown Edmonton both to
a. serve the people of Edmonton and
b. attract tourists.

2. The gondola which would
a. not only serve skiers but
b. make a new transportation corridor into downtown from the south-side and take pressure of the bridges in the area.

3. And the domed or actually in this case tetrahedroned neighborhood below.

Although it could be scaled down the base which is an equilateral triangle would cover the area between three points.

North West Corner:
Just North of Connor's Road between where 97th and 96A St. would be if they extended north across Connor's Road

North East Corner:
on the lot that is the north east corner of 90th St. and 96 Ave.

South Corner:
94th St. and where 91st Ave. would be (there is no 91st Ave. on 94th St. )

This would put the peak of the mountain over 94 St. and 94th Ave. It would be perhaps a thousand feet high or so. Whatever height that would give the proper slope for the ski runs down the North slope.

Connor's Road is the only main road in this area. The section of Connor's Road going through the mountain would be covered to isolate it from the rest of the interior. It would in effect be a tunnel going through the mountain.

A FIRST STAGE
A first stage, which is relatively small and could probably be completed in the near future, would be to build only the very North West corner of the mountain. It would entail covering a block or two of Connor's Road and making a ski slope that would extend up the bank to the properties to the south.

there you go
Breezy Brian Gregg

SteveB
01-11-2006, 06:52 PM
What a fantastic idea - although the risk of avalanches, which could block the river and cause traffic chaos, would be rather high.

LindseyT
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm messing around with google earth right now....

The most logical location I can find would be along 84 ave between Rowland Drive and Dowler Hill road. You would have to wipe a couple schools off the map, but it would give the benefit of the grade change between the river and the top of the valley. It would also give you a large area to cut earth from and build a hill and reshape the bank. I'd think you could get three or four hundred meters of elevation at this location.

Not the most plausible idea, but anything that creates better ways of the city using the river valley should be explored.

DanC
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
No thanks...I kind of don't want to live under a big artificial ski hill...: /

RichardS
01-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Do you have any visuals or the like to show the idea?

lux
01-11-2006, 08:57 PM
I like the idea but I think we should just keep building the landfill higher and higher in the northwest between us and St. Albert.

(and I don't mean piling up more garbage)

It sounds crazy but I remember watching one of those extreme engineering shows on just how much material can be moved in one of those giant excavator/dump truck operations like in Fort Mac. And we could have a mountain there in not much time.

SteveB
02-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Didn't Saskachewan or Manitoba make a ski hill out of beer bottles?

murman
02-11-2006, 09:43 AM

WPG has a former dump that's now their viewpoint. Can't recall what it's called.

murman
02-11-2006, 09:51 AM

WPG has a former dump that's now their viewpoint. Can't recall what it's called.

DanC
02-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Garbage Hill?

RichardS
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Don't laugh too hard, but we have a couple of parks that were once dumps or gravel pits...right in our blessed river valley!

DanC
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Oh I'm not laughing. I seriously think the locals refer to it as garbage hill though. I am sure it has an actual name.

Breezy_Bri
06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
What a fantastic idea - although the risk of avalanches, which could block the river and cause traffic chaos, would be rather high.

Thanks for checking out Mount Edmonton. I know it is a little far fetched but it is at least its something to dream about. A few people didn't really get it so I've updated my explanation a bit and added a link to visuals. I also considered your thought on the risk of avalaches but it seems to me we don't get the snowfall here they do in the mountains.

the visuals link is http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/MountEdm.html[/img]

yours

b

MOD EDIT

Included the picture here..

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/ME1.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/MEtopview.jpg

ThomasH
06-11-2006, 07:18 PM
^ How high do you expect the hill to be?

All the earth needed to build the mountain could come from the coal mine that feeds the Genesse power plant. It's a nice idea but the location makes it impossible to sell due to the residences affected by it. This idea has better chances of working if we use the Rabbitt Hill or Sunridge ski areas.

DanC
06-11-2006, 09:07 PM
^Its supposed to be a hollow pyramide with glass on two sides and the side attached the the ski hill dirt/glass.
I am going to have to pass on this, as my house sits right towards one corner. I in no way want to be trapped in a glass bubble with one opaque side that blocks sun and my view of Downtown.
Its a neat concept, but I like walking out my door into the outdoors, even when its - 30 celcius.

SteveB
07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
^Its supposed to be a hollow pyramide with glass on two sides and the side attached the the ski hill dirt/glass.
I am going to have to pass on this, as my house sits right towards one corner. I in no way want to be trapped in a glass bubble with one opaque side that blocks sun and my view of Downtown.
Its a neat concept, but I like walking out my door into the outdoors, even when its - 30 celcius.
That's a little selfish Dan....it's for the good of Edmonton :lol:

DanC
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
That's a little selfish Dan....it's for the good of Edmonton :lol:
Towers I don't mind...but living in a giant pyramid is, well, not for me?
BIODOME!

RichardS
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
All the earth needed to build the mountain could come from the coal mine that feeds the Genesse power plant.

Nope, that overburden as well as some flyash is being used to reclaim the land once it is mined. There are no plans for pit lakes in that area.

ThomasH
07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
^ Is it possible for plants to grow in coal?

Breezy_Bri
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
^ Is it possible for plants to grow in coal?

No not pure coal. You have to have some dirt mixed in which could come from Genesse.

Caesar555
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Wicked idea Breezy, I love it!

Now THIS is dreaming big....

BTW I love the idea for the contest, a hurricane of brain storming.

Andrea Schuld-Ergil
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
<OW!>

...Just fell off my chair laughing!!

AAaaahhh thanks, I needed that!

~A.S.E.

teddyt
15-11-2006, 03:20 PM
LOL! This is straight out of a Dilbert cartoon right??? Holy H3LL was I laughing when I read that! It's like something Dilbert would pitch to his inept Boss in the boardroom and the Boss would tell him to implement it!

Anyways, don't we have some REAL mountains about 5 hrs. to the west of here?

DanC
15-11-2006, 03:22 PM
No they are about 3-3.5 hrs.

teddyt
15-11-2006, 03:42 PM
How do you get there Dan? Rocket sled or Cessna 172? For most sane drivers it's 4 to 5 hours...

DanC
15-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I prefer to a sleigh and reindeer. Seriously though, Rocky Mountain House isn't 4 hours.

Breezy_Bri
16-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Various pamphlets and articles were published throughout the year of 1886, then on February 14 1887, with the construction work barely begun, there appeared the Artists' Protest.

The "Protest against the Tower of Monsieur Eiffel", published in the newspaper Le Temps, is addressed to the World's Fair's director of works, Monsieur Alphand. It is signed by several big names from the world of literature and the arts: Charles Gounod, Guy de Maupassant, Alexandre Dumas junior, François Coppée, Leconte de Lisle, Sully Prudhomme, William Bouguereau, Ernest Meissonier, Victorien Sardou, Charles Garnier and others to whom posterity has been less kind. Other satirists pushed the violent diatribe even further, hurling insults like "this truly tragic street lamp" (Léon Bloy), "this belfry skeleton" (Paul Verlaine), "this mast of iron gymnasium apparatus, incomplete, confused and deformed" (François Coppée), "this high and skinny pyramid of iron ladders, this giant ungainly skeleton upon a base that looks built to carry a colossal monument of Cyclops, but which just peters out into a ridiculous thin shape like a factory chimney" (Maupassant), "a half-built factory pipe, a carcass waiting to be fleshed out with freestone or brick, a funnel-shaped grill, a hole-riddled suppository" (Joris-Karl Huysmans). Once the Tower was finished the criticism burnt itself out in the presence of the completed masterpiece, and in the light of the enormous popular success with which it was greeted. It received two million visitors during the World's Fair of 1889.

The World's Fair
The World's Fair

An extract from the "Protest against the Tower of Monsieur Eiffel".

Charles Gounod

"We come, we writers, painters, sculptors, architects, lovers of the beauty of Paris which was until now intact, to protest with all our strength and all our indignation, in the name of the underestimated taste of the French, in the name of French art and history under threat, against the erection in the very heart of our capital, of the useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower, which popular ill-feeling, so often an arbiter of good sense and justice, has already christened the Tower of Babel. (...) Is the City of Paris any longer to associate itself with the baroque and mercantile fancies of a builder of machines, thereby making itself irreparably ugly and bringing dishonour ? (...)

To comprehend what we are arguing one only needs to imagine for a moment a tower of ridiculous vertiginous height dominating Paris,just like a gigantic black factory chimney, its barbarous mass overwhelming and humiliating all our monuments and belittling our works of architecture, which will just disappear before this stupefying folly. And for twenty years we shall see spreading across the whole city, a city shimmering with the genius of so many centuries, we shall see spreading like an ink stain, the odious shadow of this odious column of bolted metal.

RichardS
16-11-2006, 11:17 AM
...love it... :)