PDA

View Full Version : Uploading/downloading images

24-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Am I not seeing the function or is it not available to upload an image from your computer (such as a photo) into a post?

24karat
24-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Am I not seeing the function or is it not available to upload an image from your computer (such as a photo) into a post?

Images have to have an internet location. Many of us use www.photobucket.com. Open an free account, then upload your photos to your folder. When you've done that, each photo that you wish to post will have an address (URL). Cut and paste to your message.

Medwards
24-12-2008, 03:46 PM
This might be helpful

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10193

24-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the link Medwards, that was helpful.

24karat, why is it though there is no upload feature here rather than having to use another hosting site?

Medwards
24-12-2008, 05:41 PM
hosting images = bandwidth

bandwidth = $$$

c2e = run by volunteers with little $$$

something like that.

Most forums I've seen don't host images. Theres plenty of imaging hosting services out there which will let you hotlink to many different forums...

24-12-2008, 07:12 PM

bandwidth = $$$

something like that.

Most forums I've seen don't host images. Theres plenty of imaging hosting services out there which will let you hotlink to many different forums...

I see, so to run the forum costs money to host it etc. OK makes sense then. I have had a different experience of most forums though allowing image downloads.

edmontonenthusiast
31-12-2008, 12:03 PM
What about flickr?

RTA
31-12-2008, 01:10 PM
^ Flickr works really well, especially since their free accounts only limit how much you can upload, as opposed to how much everyone else can download. I've had a paid account at Flickr for several years and couldn't be happier with their service.

Admin
03-01-2009, 04:25 PM

bandwidth = $$$

something like that.

I see, so to run the forum costs money to host it etc. OK makes sense then. I have had a different experience of most forums though allowing image downloads.

Money is only one issue. Our server space is donated to begin with, and we have a limited amount of space to host anything. To allow the hosting of images also brings up ownership and copyright issues that we do not want to tackle as of yet. We have enough issues with the photo contest and keeping that clear and concise.

This is not to say that the ability is not something we may offer in 2009. We are revamping many aspects.

03-01-2009, 09:26 PM

bandwidth = $$$

something like that.

Money is only one issue. Our server space is donated to begin with, and we have a limited amount of space to host anything. To allow the hosting of images also brings up ownership and copyright issues that we do not want to tackle as of yet. We have enough issues with the photo contest and keeping that clear and concise.

This is not to say that the ability is not something we may offer in 2009. We are revamping many aspects.

I like that. Reckon this site has a larger membership than the originators ever thought. Upgrading server space would be a huge benefit.

edmontonenthusiast
04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I think we should have a sticky showing people how to upload here from Imageshack, Photobucket, and flickr. And if someone comes along and says they use a different site we should check that out and add it in that sticky.

lat
04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
flickr's great. the image quality is great too.

IGNITERS
27-01-2011, 12:04 PM
So how does one upload a picture onto a post here from FLICKR?
I'v ebeen trying and I must be doing it all wrong ...HeLp!?

Medwards
27-01-2011, 12:32 PM
once you upload the image to flickr, right click on the image on the flickr site, goto properties and grab the image url.

the image url will look something like http://www.flickr.com/23592934234/myEdmontonPic.jpg

Take that url, and use the image button here on the reply post, and input that url.

easier solution: go to www.imageshack.us (http://www.imageshack.us), upload your image, and then use the direct link it spits back at you, and post it in the image button here on the reply page.