PDA

View Full Version : housing and job info at points of entry into edmonton

grish
30-10-2006, 06:20 PM
i would like to enter this idea that i previously proposed and posted at
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=915&highlight=housing+jobs

the idea is in a nut shell to have welcomming stations at all points of entry into edmonton with information on housing, jobs and all the related to moving to edmonton information. it may even include a list of family doctors who accept new patients and a list of schools for the children to go in a particular neighbourhood.

(Sorry, I edited the heading a little bit)

SteveB
31-10-2006, 10:27 AM
My suggestion would be a slightly wider version of your idea grish (maybe this already exists...please let me know).

Why not have a semi-funded/part voluntary organization to help all newcomers to the capital region.

Newcomers from elsewhere in Alberta, Canada or the world can contact one organization who can provide the following assistance;

1. Assistance in their native language (via community associations)
2. Help finding initial accommodation
3. Advice and assistance finding work
4. Advice re schools, doctors, dentists, banks
5. Contacts in community organizations
6. Information resources via an internet site and face-to-face for up to 1 year

Many organizations provide this on a voluntary basis today but let's get it formalized and help get people settled, in jobs and supported.

Steve

grish
31-10-2006, 10:32 AM
i think this is a great improvement on my idea and should be posted as a separate vision. i was simply worried about people showing up at the airport/ greyhound station/ etc. and not knowing what to do next. unfortunately many people do just that--buy a ticket and say "I am going to edmonton."

you are talking about more of a pre-emptive and comprehensive look at welcoming new residents. i would, however, check out various edmonton websites to see if such program is already in place. it, somehow, sounds very familiar.

murman
31-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Doesn't it make more sense to get this type of information to people BEFORE they chose to move here?

With the dearth of available housing, frankly, if anyone showed up at the city's doorstep without having first secured at least short term accommodation, I'd almost want to turn them around and tell them to find a place to live first.

grish
31-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Doesn't it make more sense to get this type of information to people BEFORE they chose to move here?

With the dearth of available hoursing, frankly, if anyone showed up at the city's doorstep without having first secured at least short term accommodation, I'd almost want to turn them around and tell them to find a place to live first.

it does make more sense, but so many people don't it's not even funny. then they end up overcrowding our shelters and pitching tents in our parks (in the summer).

some of ther other info i want to pass on through these info booths such as family docs and schools are things that people figure they'll find out about once they have moved.

also, each person could get a welcome package that contains coupons to restaurants and brochers of edmonton recreation spots.

SteveB
31-10-2006, 11:16 AM

With the dearth of available housing, frankly, if anyone showed up at the city's doorstep without having first secured at least short term accommodation, I'd almost want to turn them around and tell them to find a place to live first.

To add on to grish's response - many of us are lucky enough to have the internet etc. so can plan these things before arriving. I would see this organization also looking after immigrants from central america, africa etc. etc. hence the need for close ties to community groups.

murman
31-10-2006, 01:01 PM

With the dearth of available hoursing, frankly, if anyone showed up at the city's doorstep without having first secured at least short term accommodation, I'd almost want to turn them around and tell them to find a place to live first.

it does make more sense, but so many people don't it's not even funny. then they end up overcrowding our shelters and pitching tents in our parks (in the summer).

some of ther other info i want to pass on through these info booths such as family docs and schools are things that people figure they'll find out about once they have moved.

also, each person could get a welcome package that contains coupons to restaurants and brochers of edmonton recreation spots.

Services previously provided by the Welcome Wagon?

grish
31-10-2006, 01:07 PM
perhaps... what is the welcome wagon?

SteveB
31-10-2006, 02:11 PM

They visited me when I first came here - they had some information but it wasn't well coordinated and focussed more on flyers for free "stuff". A more coordinated organization would have ties into Capital Health to know which doctors have space, the Province for who's arriving etc.

Brentk
31-10-2006, 02:49 PM
After being gone for so long from Alberta I can say having some sort of centralised location points would be ideal. Some place where you can sign up with employer agencies if needed, Alberta Health, Alberta Registry, Find a doctor, find out more about local programs for you family (including sports); this is especially handy for people that are moving from outside of Canada and are not familiar with the system, I knew it fairly well and it took me some time (still is).

murman
31-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Something from a bygone era, it would seem! :cry:

RichardS
31-10-2006, 04:05 PM
yep...you old fart...oh wait...me too.

Andrea Schuld-Ergil
09-11-2006, 11:42 PM
My suggestion would be a slightly wider version of your idea grish (maybe this already exists...please let me know).

Why not have a semi-funded/part voluntary organization to help all newcomers to the capital region.

...Many organizations provide this on a voluntary basis today but let's get it formalized and help get people settled, in jobs and supported.

Steve

OK, I really must address this. Please check it out in the post I'm about to create... It doesn't have a name yet... I'm thinking...

But YES - definitely - there are already many many well-connected and vitally important nonprofit organizations such as you suggest.

Andrea Schuld-Ergil
09-11-2006, 11:43 PM
And sorry that I don't know how to make the quote thing work properly...

RichardS
10-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Is seems to be a problem in that cell. I tried to fix it, and it still is not working...