PDA

View Full Version : Immigrants get their say on Edmonton transit system

etownboarder
15-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Immigrants get their say on Edmonton transit system
Last Updated: Sunday, December 14, 2008 | 3:35 PM MT
CBC News

More than 100 people from 14 different immigrant communities gathered in Edmonton on Saturday to share their experiences using the city's transit system

The fourth annual event, held at the Central Lions Seniors Recreation Centre, aimed to find out the challenges recent immigrants face in getting around the city.

Approximately 7,000 immigrants move to Edmonton each year, according to Edmonton's senior diversity and inclusion consultant John Reilly, and it's important to get feedback from them.

"Like] how our transit service can best serve these communities," Reilly said. "Later we'll be talking about walking and cycling and getting a sense of how much walking and cycling means to these communities and [how] we can better promote it."

Nissi Pululu, for one, would like to see a lot of changes made.

"First of all, I'd like to see more buses at later times and earlier times 'cause I have to wake up early," Pululu said. "Another thing I'd like to see changed is more bus stops 'cause you have walk farther to catch your bus, and I want to see more security at the transit stations."

All of the information from the meeting will be sent to the Edmonton Transit System and the city's planning department.

Story Found At: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/12/14/edm-transit-meeting-immigrant-input.html

I'm sure there are some places where more stops are needed... but one thing most people here on C2E continue to comment on is that there are too many stops that are much too close together. Is it just that some of the newcomers to Edmonton don't realize the problem all these extra stops cause, or are they really needed?

Jimbo
15-12-2008, 12:02 PM
The service was so poor last year, I bought a bike. Believe it or not, I rode it to work this morning, despite the conditions. I'm not a masochist. It's just that anything would be better than standing outside for more than half an hour in this weather waiting for a bus that may or may not come, which is what happened on more than one occasion last year. And I hope I never have to endure a two-hour one-way commute from Argyll to Oliver district again. I'd rather freeze on my bike, thank you.

And yes, it was bloody cold. The hardest part was that my bearings and gears stiffen up, and it's like pedalling uphill all the way.

etownboarder
15-12-2008, 12:04 PM
And yes, it was bloody cold. The hardest part was that my bearings and gears stiffen up, and it's like pedalling uphill all the way.

I guess you got a good workout at least :P

Edmonton PRT
15-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Go to a good bike shop and they can winterize your bike for you.

Jimbo
15-12-2008, 04:19 PM

I guess you got a good workout at least :P

It was a great workout (!) - much more than anticipated. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Until you hit 50, that is. Then it's more a matter of delaying the inevitable.

Yeah, I'll probably need to get my bike winterized.

MrOilers
15-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh, suck it up princess.

You don't hear the rest of us complaining about our bikes not working well in -30, DO YOU?

Edmonton PRT
15-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe I should change to 5w/30 in my Harley! :D

highlander
15-12-2008, 09:38 PM
The service was so poor last year, I bought a bike. Believe it or not, I rode it to work this morning, despite the conditions. I'm not a masochist. It's just that anything would be better than standing outside for more than half an hour in this weather waiting for a bus that may or may not come, which is what happened on more than one occasion last year. And I hope I never have to endure a two-hour one-way commute from Argyll to Oliver district again. I'd rather freeze on my bike, thank you.

I chickened out this morning, more because of a sore throat than the cold. I might not be as motivated either, because my bus commute is a reliable 35 minutes with never more than a 7 minute wait.

On topic, I don't really get how immigrants have different needs than other transit users, other than language problems and unfamiliarity that any new user might face.

The_Cat
15-12-2008, 11:37 PM
As great as it is to hear from immigrants, why doesn't Edmonton Transit hear from seniors, students, downtown commuters and other riders for their input on the transit system? For example, what happened with the promise of nighttime service for riders?

RTA
16-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I suspect that immigrants have been targeted because they see our system with fresh eyes and different sets of needs, having come from countries and communities which operate much differently, whereas locals might be used to some of the quirks of ETS and not realize that there are better or different ways of doing things, or whose needs are already adequately met.

moahunter
16-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I suspect that immigrants have been targeted because they see our system with fresh eyes ...whereas locals might be used to some of the quirks of ETS and not realize that there are better or different ways of doing things, or whose needs are already adequately met.
I think so. Even very simple ideas that work well overseas like puting LCD / LED screens on all bus stops telling when the next bus is are too difficult for Edmonton.

Edmonton PRT
16-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I think so. Even very simple ideas that work well overseas like puting LCD / LED screens on all bus stops telling when the next bus is are too difficult for Edmonton.

San Francisco uses them as does Portland which gets snow and cold wet weather. In fact you can find where all the buses are in San Francisco on the internet using Nextbus.

moahunter
16-12-2008, 12:35 PM
San Francisco uses them as does Portland which gets snow and cold wet weather. In fact you can find where all the buses are in San Francisco on the internet using Nextbus.
I know. It's a bugbear of mine, its just too difficult in the minds of whoever it is in ETS who doesn't have enough energy to do this. If there was ever a city that would benefit from simple screens (and they can be low cost / simple to replace units rather than durable expense designs), it would be Edmonton - there is nothing worse than waiting in -30c not knowing if you made the bus, or have missed it for the next one in 20 minutes or so.

blainehamilton
16-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by moahunter http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/images/c2ebuttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=153094#post153094)

They can't even update the signs on Whitemud and Wayne Gretzky Drive to reflect when an accident or delay happens to suggest an alternate route.

Can you imagine the cost to implement something like this? Say a couple of thousand to install at each stop. Figure 1000+ stops. So over a million to install. And that's before you even think about programming and maintenance...

moahunter
16-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Can you imagine the cost to implement something like this? Say a couple of thousand to install at each stop.
Last time I looked a TomTom cost a couple of hundred dollars, and an LCD tv cost a couple of hundred dollars. Now, I realize it would be a little more than that for an industrial unit (maybe a couple of thousand like you suggest), but it wouldn't have to be a lot as at these prices we could even make a disposable system. As to software - these systems are operating all over the world so there must be off the shelf available. At a minimum, all the busy routes stops should have had this long ago, it's not rocket science - I got my first digital watch in 1979, and the city I immigrated from put a system in place 7 years ago (and saw ridership shoot up straight afterwards). Why does Edmonton have to be so backwards on this - if there was ever a city that needs real time monitoring to improve ridership, it is Edmonton with the extreme weather we have.

The_Cat
16-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I think something like the LCD TVs (with departure schedules/frequencies, indicating red for late or green for on time) at the transit centres and LRT stations. People's time is worth a lot, and I think they would appreciate seeing something like a delay on their way home so they can take an alternate route.

I agree, Edmonton Transit needs to be run like a business and customer service is a must. If drivers had access to more online info, they could assist customers better.

Edmonton PRT
16-12-2008, 10:34 PM
They can't even update the signs on Whitemud and Wayne Gretzky Drive to reflect when an accident or delay happens to suggest an alternate route.

Totally agree. The electronic signs were blank all day on on WGD even though the radio advised that Yellowhead east east of WGD was to avioded at all cost. Meanwhile they had the portable units flashing away, recommending that I get hammered and find a date or something like that.:smt017

I bet you the transportation department will buy 10 more electronic signs in this years budget to put on Whitemud and Wayne Gretzky Drive but needed another $100,000 in the budget to turn them on...

Titanium48
17-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Nissi Pululu, for one, would like to see a lot of changes made.

"First of all, I'd like to see more buses at later times and earlier times 'cause I have to wake up early," Pululu said. "[B]Another thing I'd like to see changed is more bus stops 'cause you have walk farther to catch your bus, and I want to see more security at the transit stations."

I'm sure there are some places where more stops are needed... but one thing most people here on C2E continue to comment on is that there are too many stops that are much too close together. Is it just that some of the newcomers to Edmonton don't realize the problem all these extra stops cause, or are they really needed?

I don't think that comment was fully thought through. Sure, you might save 30 seconds of walking time, at the expense of increasing already excessive travel times. For the average user, another minute of walking could save 5 minutes of sitting on the bus if 30-50% of the stops were eliminated.

etownboarder
17-12-2008, 10:30 AM
For the average user, another minute of walking could save 5 minutes of sitting on the bus if 30-50% of the stops were eliminated.

I dunno about 50%... but I think there are some areas that could definitely see some stops removed. Maybe 20-25%?

Titanium48
17-12-2008, 10:34 AM

I biked on Monday too. I actually overdressed and was sweating by the time I got to work, which is only 25 blocks from my house. I hear you on the bearings though. Mine are getting synthetic grease when they need their midwinter repack, hopefully that will help. The biggest problem with biking isn't the cold or the friction though, it's the continuing half-baked attempts at snow removal.