PDA

View Full Version : The value of public transit

grish
10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
On C2E thread spring up all the time arguing for this route of LRT or that service. This makes me think that in general members of C2E are supportive of public transit and wish the city to continue to fund and expand the service.

In case any of us still need a reminder of the value of public transit on all of us including those of us who have never taken a bus, have a look at your national news broadcasts and the situation in Ottawa with transit strike. Traffic is bumper to bumper, accidents are way up, people are stranded, late for work, school, etc.. People rent hotel rooms closer to their work/ school just so they can walk and not be late.

I hope the city and the people of Edmonton are paying attention and do not whine the next time the city increases funding for public transit. It is best to learn from experiences of others. Lets look at Ottawa and notice how public transit keeps our city running. We need to continue to expand it (yes, we do Mr. Caterina)

Escondido
10-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I could just imagine what a zoo the University and routes to and from would be without the LRT running... the train is well-used by students.

And, compare traffic in areas served by LRT to areas not served by LRT. I live in the Northeast and am used to traffic loads there. But if I ever have to travel to the southeast or the southwest during peak hours, it is a nightmare. Traffic seems much worse in the parts of the city where there is no LRT.

highlander
11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I could just imagine what a zoo the University and routes to and from would be without the LRT running... the train is well-used by students.

And, compare traffic in areas served by LRT to areas not served by LRT. I live in the Northeast and am used to traffic loads there. But if I ever have to travel to the southeast or the southwest during peak hours, it is a nightmare. Traffic seems much worse in the parts of the city where there is no LRT.

I'm not sure that there's a direct relationship there. there are socioeconomic factors and simple geography at play too. That said, traffic in this end is generally good, except the 50th &137th corner.