PDA

View Full Version : coming home to e-town via vancouver..how are the roads driving in mid january?

brandy82
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
my hubby and i are moving back to edmonton thought we could give b.c. a try as i have some relatives here but so far we hate it and wanna come home. i am taking plane:( with my four children and my hubby is driving in our 92 chev lumina with some of our stuff inside he use to be a driver for a company in edmonton and has been driving for a very long time so i know he knows how to drive in the snow im just worried about the roads how are they going the cocohalla( i know i spelt it wrong;)) way to hwy 16? i just want him to make it home safe..and is there alotta road closers and avalanches around january?

DebraW
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
The Coquihalla (you were close!) and any road through the mountains (like the Rogers Pass) are always prone to winter avalanches so winter survival gear is a must.

That said the RCMP, the Canadian Motor Association (AMA in Alberta) and highway maintenance for both provinces are cautious and issue warnings and road closings if they can.

Good tires, a reliable vehicle and a confident driver make all the difference.

Good luck and welcome (back) to Edmonton!

brandy82
08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
SOOOO CANCEL THAT THEN :(!! LOL....DO U KNOW IF THE ROADS ARE JUST AS BAD IN THE SPRING LIKE AROUND THE END OF MARCH ?:smt064

DebraW
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
There is always a chance for slides or avalanches through the mountains no matter the time of year. If it is not snow it can be mud.

That said hundreds of thousands of people traverse these roads every year safely and without incident.

kona
09-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Listen to the road reports or look online for the road reports the Coquihalla Yellowhead route is not bad most of the time, if it is bad the reports will tell you.

As mentioned in other threads make sure you have winter tires (you are coming back to Edmonton so this is a good investment), blankets, warm boots, candles, water, some food, etc, just in case....

It is a very beautiful drive in the winter seeing the all the snow, especially in some areas were they have plowed and it is several metres high!

Just be glad you are not going to Calgary on the Trans Canada!

Barry N
09-12-2008, 07:50 AM
www.drivebc.ca

brandy82
09-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much for the info!!!